Amazon has me spoiled

Poppy

Flashaholic
Although Amazon's next day delivery often takes two days, it spoiled me.
I placed an order for tie rod ends from Rock Auto. At the time of placing the order there was no listing of anticipated delivery date (or at least I missed it), but now that I have tracking, it is projected to take a total of 10 days! It has already been five.

1686331114393.png

Amazon feeds my need for instant gratification.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Same. There are about a half-dozen Amazon warehouses complexes within five miles of my house and likely nearly tenfold that number in the DFW region. I would actually like to do business with other firms, but fulfillment time (delay from order acceptance to shipment handoff) can be dreadful with some firms, and shipping costs can also be unusually steep.

I can remember wondering why I would ever need/want Amazon Prime. Now, it's always my first place to shop. I've spent a high percentage of my life behind many different steering wheels. Today, I avoid driving as much as possible. The very local Ace Hardware contains a USPS store, so the returns are also easy-peasy. WIN WIN!

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep. I live in the center of the nation, and waiting a week to get my Maglite direct from the mother ship in Kommiefornia was nerve wracking. Tried Amazon first, they muffed it, and sent me the wrong light. So, slow and sure was better than fast and wrong.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I avoid Amazon as much as practical. I shop local first, often checking online or calling. Then maybe a nearby town if they have a good restaraunt nearby. Online web store next and Amazon as a last resort.

I did resort to an Amazon purchase recently for a US made manhole lid lifting hook. The box stores all had a brand I know bends too easily and the supply store I used to buy from is gone. Amazon was the best option since the manufacturer (T&T tools) now has an Amazon store.

Last edited:

turbodog

Flashaholic
Amazon is amazing! I buy local to support my small town as much as possible but for everything else...

Chicken and egg... I try to buy local for locally-owned shops, but they are often lacking in expected items.

Bought some cycling stuff recently. Shop didn't have ANY bike multitools (like a swiss army knife for cycling). Really?

So, off to Amazon I go.

Amazon, or any internet merchant, saves dollars in purchasing but they save tons more in time.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank goodness Amazon "free" return policy is convenient, for me anyway. I've had to return a few items..

When Amz went to greener less packaging, and started using brown paper bags to send delicate items, my last order was returned due to being damaged.

Glad my UPS Store is only 5mins away.

Btw, I was told by Amz "Chat" representative, if you place orders containing liquids, something such as small bottle of mouth rinse, they will ship entire order in a box. It is a thinner biodegradable box, but at least it's not a paper bag.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Thank goodness Amazon "free" return policy is convenient, for me anyway. I've had to return a few items..

When Amz went to greener less packaging, and started using brown paper bags to send delicate items, my last order was returned due to being damaged.

Glad my UPS Store is only 5mins away.

Btw, I was told by Amz "Chat" representative, if you place orders containing liquids, something such as small bottle of mouth rinse, they will ship entire order in a box. It is a thinner biodegradable box, but at least it's not a paper bag.
I suppose it's up to the seller at times. My yellow G2x Pro was an "open box" item from an Amazon warehouse that came in a bag. But the manhole lid puller tool from T&T (through Amazon) came in a box with lots of padding. But being a pointed heavy metal object I suppose that was more about protecting the fragile parcels around it in the truck.

They sent it UPS in 3 days so that was cool.

My wife has ordered stuff from Amazon that showed up the day she ordered it.

Although, some of the shipping boxes and lack of packing material choices leave much to be desired.

IMG_4246.jpeg

Two boxes. That was it. The rifle was served like all of James Bond's martinis. Lord only knows how many times it and the scope bounced around in the box. I'm betting every time it was handled. :banghead:

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although, some of the shipping boxes and lack of packing material choices leave much to be desired. Two boxes. That was it. The rifle was served like all of James Bond's martinis. Lord only knows how many times it and the scope bounced around in the box. I'm betting every time it was handled. :banghead:
And yet I just got a well padded bag of lava rocks from Amazon!

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although, some of the shipping boxes and lack of packing material choices leave much to be desired.

View attachment 44944

Two boxes. That was it. The rifle was served like all of James Bond's martinis. Lord only knows how many times it and the scope bounced around in the box. I'm betting every time it was handled. :banghead:
Probably packed by an anti-gun lefty-type.

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Correction:

I used to use RockAuto for car parts. I found Detroit Axle has better shipping times, and a higher quality of parts. I am still at the mercy of FEDEX, but liking the CS and reliable shipping times. I seldom use Amazon any longer for things that are needed right away. There are too many hands in the middle of what I need right away, and often what is ordered is not from Amazon, but purchased through an Amazon store vendor. The Amazon warehouse maybe the shipper, but often there are multiple vendors with different pricing in my limited experiences.
GL

Last edited:

turbodog

Flashaholic
...through an Amazon store vendor, not an Amazon warehouse. My Two cents.

FYI, check the address on the label. Still might come from the warehouse, just with the 3rd party name on it.

Their logistics are top-notch... and they are essentially renting space/shipping to other vendors to a significant degree.

I read a good book not that long ago that dealt with the history/startup of Amazon.

ANY of their past/current competitors could have 1) crushed them 2) bought them during the early years. Instead, every single one of them either 1) dropped the ball 2) didn't show up for the game at all. Wal-Mart, Barnes and Noble, Yahoo, Borders, and the list goes on and on.

1686435790735.png

He gives the same speech each year: everyday is day 1.

They brought the ebook to market to the dismay of their very successful paper book department. His rationale... if we're not trying to put ourselves out of business, someone else is, so why shouldn't it be us that succeeds at the task.

Last edited:

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
FYI, check the address on the label. Still might come from the warehouse, just with the 3rd party name on it.

Their logistics are top-notch... and they are essentially renting space/shipping to other vendors to a significant degree.

They brought the ebook to market to the dismay of their very successful paper book department. His rationale... if we're not trying to put ourselves out of business, someone else is, so why shouldn't it be us that succeeds at the task.
Apologies. I have edited my post, Thank You for the correction turbodog.
GL

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I seldom use Amazon any longer for things that are needed right away. There are too many hands in the middle of what I need right away, and often what is ordered is not from Amazon, but purchased through an Amazon store vendor. The Amazon warehouse maybe the shipper, but often there are multiple vendors with different pricing in my limited experiences.
My experience with Amazon-fulfilled orders has been very consistent - shipment almost always happens within 12 hours and it arrives when they say it will arrive if not sooner; I think I've had all of one delayed shipment. Shipments not handled by Amazon are another matter - subject to long delays until shipping notification which itself can also be a day more more until actual handoff to the carrier.

Unfortunately a number of smaller outfits tend to behave like the latter. I understand that many retailers don't have warehouses all over the nation putting goods in close proximity to customers nor their own delivery fleet. But the fulfillment delay is something they can control and should work on for in stock items even if it's going to take a few days to ship from a time zone away.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I placed an order for tie rod ends from Rock Auto. At the time of placing the order there was no listing of anticipated delivery date (or at least I missed it), but now that I have tracking, it is projected to take a total of 10 days! It has already been five.

View attachment 44904

Amazon feeds my need for instant gratification.
Poppy, I hope you are doing mechanical work because you enjoy it. I've done my share of auto repair and I absolutely HATE working on vehicles! Now I avoid mechanical work as much as possible.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Order packing/shipping times went up through covid, to say nothing of transit times.

Things have gotten back to pre-covid. I can order late @ night and get it next day (sometimes) or day after (practically always).

They are building a FC (fulfillment center) about 5 miles away. Will be interesting to see what effect that has. Maybe I can pickup at a locker, same day.

FYI, the FC names are based on the local airport code.

DFW
CNY
LAX
ATL

Poppy

Flashaholic
Poppy, I hope you are doing mechanical work because you enjoy it. I've done my share of auto repair and I absolutely HATE working on vehicles! Now I avoid mechanical work as much as possible.
@IMA SOL MAN , thanks.
Yeah I guess I enjoy it to some degree. Not that I enjoy the actual work, but I enjoy the satisfaction of getting the job done, on my time, when it is convenient for me. Also I feel good about the money I save by doing it myself. There is also a general feeling of accomplishment when I tackle a job, that I have to learn something first.

I'm selective about what work I'll do. I don't change the oil anymore, I'm not getting under the car, lying on my back to save $30 - $40. Brakes, where I'll save $100 or more, well... that depends upon my mood, and the weather.

In the past, I might get part-way into a job, and find that I need a specialty tool. So I'd go out and buy it. Then the next time I need that tool, I'll already have it on hand. I get a certain satisfaction at that. Crazy I know. I like tools, especially if they'll make a job go easier, and or faster.

I recently did the sway bar end links on my car. It was a quick and easy job. It took as much effort to remove, and replace the tires as it did to do the job. My daughter's car is making a similar clunking noise when she rides over a bump, and one of her's was loose. I decided to do a replacement for her. Her's required using an impact wrench, and eventually a "fire wrench."

While doing the end links, I discovered that her tie rod ends need replacement. So now that I have an electric impact wrench, I am looking forward to using it. It will make the job go faster, and easier. The parts came in yesterday, and I'll tackle the job today. Hopefully I'll get my grandson to participate, and he'll learn something.