Surefire L2 100 lumens on high?

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think the runtimes and output is correct on the Surefire site? 100 lumens for 1 hour?? I recall that testers generally got only 30 minute runtime on the L2. 15 lumens for 18 hours? Again, I remember testers actually getting 10 hours. I have 2 L2s, and there output appears to be less than my FT-3C (72 lumens), so I expect 60-65 lumens is a better estimate?

http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/prrfnbr/1141/sesent/00

Batteries - Two lithium 123A 3.0 volt with 10-year shelf life (included)
<font color="red">Output/Runtime - High: Maximum 100 lumens/60 minutes; Low: 15 lumens/18 hours </font>
Construction - CNC machined aerospace-grade aluminum, Type III MilSpec hard-anodized finish for extreme corrosion and wear-resistance; O-ring sealed; Pyrex® lens
Steel pocket clip
Length and weight (with batteries) - 6.1 inches / 4.2 ounces
Flawless beam, no dark spots or rings
Patented lock-out tailcap prevents unintentional activation during storage or transportation
Weatherproof and lightweight
No Hassle Lifetime Guarantee: If it breaks, we fix it!
Available in: Type III Hard-Anodized

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if they changed something? It used to be 65 lumens/60 minutes on high and 15 lumens/8 hours on low.

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Fitz said:
I wonder if they changed something? It used to be 65 lumens/60 minutes on high and 15 lumens/8 hours on low.

[/ QUOTE ]

If they did change something, I want me another L2. 15 lumens for 18 hours is incredible runtime. Maintaining 100 lumens for a full hour is in itself impressive!

lightemup

Flashaholic*
Sounds like someone needs to give Stuart at Surefire a call and ask /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

Flashlight Enthusiast
More interesting tidbits.

If I read the L1 page correctly, that model has also been upgraded. It now does 15 lumens for 2 hours, where as before only 1 hour IIRC. Also, the L1 officially has a 3 watt bulb now, at least according to the L1 page. If true, I'd buy one. The only thing that concerns me is that there still might be L1s with 1-watt bulbs out there. I have nothing against a 1-watt bulb, but the ones Surefire uses have terrible tint (at least in my L1s and KL3s).

HistoryChannel

Enlightened
The new L1s are much whiter and brighter than the older ones, I would guess that they use 3w now.

I just got 2 L2s from Turners and they are noticibly brighter than my L4s (L2 on high). They are quite long however.

This may retire my A2 for EDC!

Flashlight Enthusiast
^Wow, thanks for the confirmation (that the L1 are whiter and the L2s brighter).

Where did you order your L1s from?

HistoryChannel

Enlightened
I got them from Turner's Outdoorsman, a brick and mortar store. The dude said they just got 2 in so I bought both L2s.

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Size15s said:
The SureFire L1 has not been released with a LuxeonIII.

[/ QUOTE ]

L1 LumaMax
Constructed of aerospace grade aluminum with a rugged military specification hard-anodized finish, and powered by a single lithium battery (10-year shelf life), the L1 LumaMax features a 3-watt LED (Light Emitting Diode) and the extended runtime typical of LED flashlights

SF Web site

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Klaus

SJACKAL

Enlightened
The inconsistency is confusing people and disappointing for those who bought the old L1s and L2s and worrying people whoms about to order a new L1/L2. Surefire needs to clarify things.

SJACKAL

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
357 said:
[ QUOTE ]
Fitz said:

[/ QUOTE ]

If they did change something, I want me another L2. 15 lumens for 18 hours is incredible runtime. Maintaining 100 lumens for a full hour is in itself impressive!

[/ QUOTE ]

This is then more powerful than their high pressure Xenons then.

cy

Flashaholic
Tbin driven at spec's at X temp is 67 - 87 lumens, less 25-30% transmission loss.

Not too many Ubins around. If 100 lumens is correct, Surefire switched to 5watt for L2. Vbin is 113 - 147 lumens less transmission loss.

marcspar

Enlightened
You are right cy!

From the SF website: "the L2 LumaMax features a white, five-watt LED (light emitting diode"

And the L1 is upgraded to a 3w from the older model's 1w.

Marc

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is Surefire becoming less conservative in their ratings to compete with the lesser manufacturers? The U2 is expected to be brighter compared to the L5 yet several reports indicate they are identical in ouput. Maybe the L5 is really 100 lumens but for those that currently have the "65 lumen" rated L5 and have a $250 U2 on order, they may be quite disappointed. Maybe they will re-rate *all* their lights to be more in line with everyone else's lies /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Gosh I hope not.

Back OT, I have seen an L2 at a local Brick and morter gunshop (they just got some in last week) and there's no way those things are 100 lumens. The one they had put out a similar amount of light overall compared to the A2. I'd say it's closer to 50-60 lumens if the A2 is rated 60 lumens. My C2 with the Pila lamp and 18650 cells totally blows it away and the Pila lamp is rated 80 lumens IIRC.

CM

SJACKAL

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
cy said:
Tbin driven at spec's at X temp is 67 - 87 lumens, less 25-30% transmission loss.

Not too many Ubins around. If 100 lumens is correct, Surefire switched to 5watt for L2. Vbin is 113 - 147 lumens less transmission loss.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't L2 been a 5 watt all along?

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
SJACKAL said:
[ QUOTE ]
cy said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't L2 been a 5 watt all along?

[/ QUOTE ]

IIRC, that was one of the draws for me and the L2 - the 5W with a low/high setting, unlike the L4 (also supposed to be 5W). It's the L1 which was supposed to be a 1W Luxeon.

Flashlight Enthusiast
My current L2s, even if they "only" emit 60 lumens are very impressive. Its a wall of light, not just a thin beam. While the throw isn't all that impressive, the sheer volume of light in all directions is. And to me, lighting up a nice area close to medium range is more important than lighting up a small area 100 yards away.

Mark2

Enlightened
I've had the chance to compare an L2 with my L4 about a month ago and the L2 on high put out about the same amount of light as my old L4.