INNOVA 5X (NEW) FIRST IMPRESSIONS

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
Having befriended the good folks at Emmissive Energy at Shot 2002, and having followed up (read: bugged them) for the last four months, I am please to say that I received their new release of the INNOVA 5X.

I am having more problems uploading pics, so first the written review.

IT IS BRIGHTER
I broke open 24 NIB surefire 123's = 12 sets. I took 6 of the 12 sets, and placed them first in my original 5x, recorded the "peak" reading during the first 10 seconds, and them immediately placed them in the new 5x and then recorded the "peak"
reading. With the other 6 sets, I did the same test, placing the batteries first in the new 5x, followed by the original.

Out of 12 "tests", my low was 12.6% brighter, and my highest reading was 14.2% higher.

I believe that Emmisive Energy's claim of 12-15% is VALID. The fact that I could not get 15% may have to do with the exact alignment of the 5 leds, or maybe even variations in the output of the leds themselves

PHYSICAL SIZE AND WEIGHT
The new unit is fatter by .060 and its weight of 3.7 oz is 0.5 oz more than the original. At 3.7 oz, its the same as an ARC-LS with 2AA battery compartment; quite a bit less than the CMG REACTOR at 4.5 oz

The length is maybe 1/16 more, so thats negligible.

PUSH BUTTON SWITCH
Think SureFire LOTC, except it does not require 1 full rotation for effective lockout. Though the button does not protrude as much as the SureFire, it works great!!

SUMMARY
If you liked the original 5x, you are going to love the new version

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Jeff I was just looking for updates to when we were going to see some in user hands. Looks very nice. Is the light output still a pretty large flood of light as compared to the Arc LS's more narrow beam?

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bushman,

Yes, its more of a flood compared to the LS. Comparing the old to the new at a distance of 3/4 ", the beam pattern (5 leaf clover) is 15/16" vs 1 1/16, so the new is even more of a "flood".

In my garage looking at odd shaped boxes, different colors and lots junk, the old and new are the same (really can't see a difference) in brightness or pattern.

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
REASONS TO HAVE THE INNOVA 5X (EVEN THOUGH YOU HAVE AN ARC)

1) runtime on one set of batteries
2) "tactical" pushbutton switch
3) fullfill flashaholic needs (buy both)
grin.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Yeah, I need to get one of these bad boys. I like the idea of the tailcap switch; that would make the light easier to use one-handed. How often I've reached for my older 5X when all I need is a few seconds of light - what a pain in the toilet muscle to have to drop whatever you're doing so you can make this conscious effort to twist a head while at the same time remembering it operates backwards of most other twist-ons. More often than not, I twist the wrong way and stay in the dark a few extra seconds as a result.
tongue.gif

L.E.D.

Enlightened
hmmmm......do you know if they are being driven at the same current as the old one?

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is my understanding that the "new" X5 has the same resistor as the "old". Imporved heatsinking allows the LED to burn more efficiently is what I was told.

FNG

Enlightened
What color did you get? I want one but having trouble picking black or silver. So far my lights are PT Surge, PT Rage, PT Attitude, and Arc White AAA. All of them are black.

mindcrime

Newly Enlightened
As a recently new owner of an Arc SLS, is there any good reason to still get an X-5T? How do they compare in brightness and battery life? I am considering cancelling my backordered X5t and going to Target and getting a Vector 3 mil CP spotlight for about the same money. Ah, who am I kidding, I will probably just get both! But I do still wonder ahead of time how the Arc SLS and X5T might compare.

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
FNG

I got the black, only becuase I already own the silver. Having both, I kinda like the silver more. It looks more elegant and high tech... black is oK, but I'm up to my ears with black and natural HA (arc, surefires, streamlights, REACTORS etc etc)

Also, I did more side by side tests last night, and there is a noticeable difference in the periferal edge of the lights. I think the reason for the increase is that the led's are recessed a bit more, which creates a "mini" reflector

Blikbok

Enlightened
Countrycomm.com is still offering volume trade-in's to agencies-- I wonder what they are going to do with all those old-style INNOVA's?

steinie

Newly Enlightened
Thanx for the review. Countycomm just emailed me today that my 2 new Inova X5's shipped today.
smile.gif
Will be here Tuesday.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr Ted Bear:
REASONS TO HAVE THE INNOVA 5X (EVEN THOUGH YOU HAVE AN ARC)

1) runtime on one set of batteries
2) "tactical" pushbutton switch
3) fullfill flashaholic needs (buy both)
grin.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jeff,

Thanks for that very informative review. I was looking over Brock's brightness/runtime comparisons of several LED lights including the LS in its various versions and the X5 Classic, and I was struck once again by the LS's remarkable performance on 2 lithium AA's.

At 3 hrs it still maintained 90% of its original brightness, 84% at 4hrs and 78% at 4:30hrs when the decline was well under way.
Even at 5:30 hours it was still 32% brighter than the X5, though at 5:45 hrs it began to crash and finally fell behind. Even if we assume a 15% brightness increase for the new X5 the LS would still beat it by 17% at 5:30 hrs.

Nevertheless I'm still very attached to my Inovas. I love the sleek, modernistic form factor of the Classic X5, and personally have never had a problem with the twist head. If I'm going to be using it I first "prime" it by twisting the head to within 1/4- 1/2 revolution of ON after which one hand operation is easy and convenient. If I'm having any difficulty I just apply a thin strip of Skateboard tape to the head(another great Kogatana idea) and I have all the grip I need. It also looks surprisingly good. I'm not sure there's any good reason for me to buy the "improved" model except for Flashaholic compulsiveness. (In other words I'll buy it).

Brightnorm

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>If I'm going to be using it I first "prime" it by twisting the head to within 1/4- 1/2 revolution of ON after which one hand operation is easy and convenient <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

...or you can grind down the post that contacts the battery on the old X5 and adjust the amount of turn required to activate the light.

S.

tygger

Enlightened
hey Graham, has yours been shipped yet? i ordered yesterday from TADgear and called today and they didn't have them in yet, or so thats what the person on the phone thought. any news on when they will ship them? anxiously waiting....