Laser modification q&a

Spec

Newly Enlightened
I have been reading here for about a month or so, and I have to say its a great area, and I started to notice that there has been a lot of talk about pointer modification, and I just threw together a webpage to hopefully explain it and dispel any myths about it.

The link is http://specwhore.com/temp/laser/lasermod/

Thanks for having me here, Also, if I missed anything please advise, I am thinking of starting a laser forum/WIKIpedia and it would be nice to be accurate with the information. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thanks again:

-Robert

liteglow

Enlightened
nice nice nice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

So if i got it right now, there is NO danger having the green laser ON for 15 min if u ONLY have done a POT MOD ??

And the last on your page to get MORE power, i talk about have more current input.. do u have to open the laser all the way i did to give it more mA ?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

thanx

AW

Newly Enlightened
What is the max output you can get from a POT MOD? Will you get 15mW from that alone?

Spec

Newly Enlightened
Re: Laser modification q&a

Liteglow: As with any modification you run the risk of doing damage to the diode, but from my experience the diodes installed by default are quite forgiving up to 350mA current.

Still fallow the duty cycle listed on the manufacturers spec sheet and if your real paranoid, add some cool down time and remove some run time. But as I said, premature death shouldnt be a problem.

And yes, the only "safe" way to get more current is to gut the unit and change resistors values, but with the diode in the unit you run the risk of killing it pretty quick.

AW: The max output you can get out of the unit depends on quite a few variables: the power rating of the 808nm diode, how much current your feeding it, quality of cavity crystals, polarization, alignment, and my personal favorite: temperature drift.

As the diode heats up its can shift its main frequency from 808nm centered to anywhere between 798nm and 825nm. You may have noticed this before if your pointer "seems" like it takes a minute to get to full brightness, or progressively dims. The requirements to produce 532nm green is about 2nm either direction from 808nm peak to work well.

see ya!

liteglow

Enlightened

Spec: Thanx alot for detalied help /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

i will sure try to rebuild my laser some day... but first i will continue having fun the way it is now!
i use it ewery day, and it`s ALOT of fun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

But as i se it, i can replace the diode with a stronger one ? (more mW output) ?
i got the Sony diode, and i beliwe the quality is significent....

liteglow

Enlightened

Spec: if u got MSN \ AIM let me know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif