caution on MC disassembly

turbodog

Flashaholic
Wanted to post a tale of a mag charger disassembly.

Went to remove the switch, with the battery in. The switch can short out on removal/reassembly apparently. My battery was left in (mistake).

The short caused the battery to explode, and propelled the partially removed switch through the sheetrock ceiling, into the attic!

Ha ha ha. Kidding.

Now that I have your attention though. I did remove the switch and noticed the light worked, but the red charge light would not come on. Testing revealed the charger to be working fine. Apparently, if you don't screw the light back together well enough, it will work (fine), but not charge.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

udaman

Banned
Ok, it's a joke...but

Why do you think it did not show charging?

Did not screw it back together correctly, how so; any ideas what you did wrong? Got any pictures of where you think the area misalignment occured?

I ordered a MC switch assembly, and will be tearing it apart for pictures next week.

turbodog

Flashaholic
No charging because the light on the charger stayed off. I also verified this with a voltmeter as well. No misalignment, just not tightened REALLY tight. Although, I could NOT see a gap in the light in either case.

srue

Newly Enlightened
I had something similar to this happen to me. I finally discovered that the head of the MagCharger had been pushed down a little, and the rings weren't lining up with the charger electrodes. I pulled the head out a little bit and it started working fine again.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also,
Check the positive contact spring. Sometimes you have to pull it off and stretch it a bit to insure reliable contact.
Wilkey

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my mag charger, but i notice that you gotta **** around with the bulb a good bit to get it optimum for a clean spot.(which is not easy) and I go through it once a yr with some caig de ox-it, then pro gold on all the contact's, battery end's etc it seem's lose a Little bit of power if I don't.
If you have never used caig contact solution's you should,(us musicians use it all the time) it's very effective, and will increase output noticably in a older light. VDG

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Greg,

Thanks for bringing that up again. I've advocated the use of Caig De-Oxit for sometime now. Cheap insurance but it does need to be cleaned and reapplied with some regularity.

Wilkey

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been through a few MCs and haven't had this problem. There is a certain order you need to screw it back together in, to make everything line up the right way. It's my favorite light right now. The brightness plus not having to shovel 123s into it does it for me.