Another PC problem/Questions

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
As stated in my other post, got a new desktop PC. Am looking for a way to transfer some of my files/folders to the new one. BUT, new PC has no floppy drive, old PC (IBM Thinkpad laptop) has no CD burner. OLd runs on MS 98 OS, and doesn't read the thumb drive I bought, and I cannot seem to download the driver from web site.
I could email myself the files but its a long arduaous pain in the a** that I'd rather avoid. Is there any way of hooking these two units together to transfer files? Any other alternatives? Or should I wait to Monday when the offices are open and see if the local IT guru wizard can do it for me (along with a small nominal fee).

nisshin

Enlightened
If I recall, in the old days you could use a cheap "null-modem" cable to connect the two computers ... I think you had to set up a new connection icon in the network neighborhood, and setting its property to be a "null-modem." But I'm just throwing out ideas that come to my mind.

Lara

Newly Enlightened
Do your computers have Ethernet adapters? (I guess at least the laptop has one built in, and you could get one for the desktop PC at just a couple of bucks if it doesn't already have one)

Samoan

Enlightened
You could always pull the old drive and install it in the new compueter temporarily and just copy the files from drive to drive.

-F

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't mind having the two units linked together. They both have the ethernet plug.
What else will I have to do besides plug them both together?

This could be a better alternative for me as there are forms in MS Office on the laptop that I need to access and the new PC only has MS Works. This hookup would make transferring files and photos a lot easier.

And concerning the hookup (network?), will it be an issue that there are different operating systems on the laptop and the desktop?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Get a crossover network cable.. it should allow you to network the two together without a hub/switch. Make sure it says crossover because it has a different wiring than a normal cable and normal cables won't work for this, they are designed for hub/switch operation. As for the different operating systems I would have to dig up a link that would help if the automatic setup doesn't work. I haven't hooked up two different OSes via network so I don't know all the quirks but it should be doable.