Nexstar bulb vs. InReTech LED mod w/lithium AA's

Tesla

Enlightened
Nexstar bulb vs. InReTech LED mod w/lithium AA\'s

Obviously, the run-time with the InReTech mod will be longer, but how will the brightness compare to the minimag with Nexstar bulb?

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Re: Nexstar bulb vs. InReTech LED mod w/lithium AA\'s

Although I never meant for the runtime plots to measure brightness ( too many factors I have no controll of and or knowledge of), since all but one of the plots (ARC AAA UV) were measured at the same distance, a relative compairison of brightness can be made. On the righthand side of the plot report there is a value for Max measurment and Min measurment. Compairing Max values should give you a relative measurment. Look in the Runtime Archives for those numbers. Doug generally updates the archives every weekend.

http://thelightsite.cruxial.com/reviews/runtimes_archive/runtimes.html

Tesla

Enlightened

Thanks, Roy..
smile.gif

Looks like the Nexstar bulb is still what I'm looking for, brightness-wise.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

I did not find a graph for the Nexstar bulb.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks Roy.

I like your useful graphs.

You watchin' the game? (was born a few miles from the Alamo)

-Jeff

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened

Unfortunately, we can not use Roy's graphs to compare LED with incandescent bulbs. Otherwise, you will never purchase any LED as they typically end up 1/10 on the brightness scale AS MEASURED by Roy's method.

- Vikas

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

Vikas Sontakke-

Thanks. Outstanding point. If I have this right; his graphs are measuring current flow. As he has stated many times they should not be used to judge brightness. However,(not in this case) the graghs can be used to guesstimate the brightness of similar LS lights. It is in this way that I find them useful but thanks again for clarifying that the Nexstar is an incandescent and the question, though valid, is difficult to answer without side-by-side beamshots. Also, I believe that InReTECH stands for Incandescant Replacement Technology and is designed to replace, not compete with incandescants. My take is that they market the AA drop-in to be a robust, long run-time replacement. Seems like it might be a very good candidate for their stated purposes.

Tesla-

Another production run of the BadBoy should be coming out soon. It is a member modification that I'm sure will be highly sought after...please don't buy one...I want all of them.

Roy-

Are you watching the game?

shipinretech

Enlightened

Just to let you know, the prototype InReTech TRILIGHT has been made available for sale to support Craig Johnson. If you are serious about getting a bright light...

Tesla

Enlightened

I'm serious about getting maximum light out of a mini-mag...if I can get ENOUGH light out of an LED drop-in (i.e., close to Nexstar brightness), then that would be preferable due to durability issues. I'd prefer an LED that is "nearly" as bright as a Nexstar bulb...If dropped, the LED would likely continue functioning..I'm not into bulb-changing. So far, though, all the LED lights I've had have been VERY disappointing in the brightness department, even the "focused" beam type like the PT Impact. I realize a Luxeon Star LED would be considerably brighter than Nichia LEDs, but would it approach Nexstar brightness?...I don't want to waste $20 to find out that a Luxeon drop-in doesn't cut it..

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Telsa,

I am sure that you know this, because you have been here for a year, and have 135 posts, but to answer your question to compare the Nexstar bulb to the InReTECH 2AA, the answer is the generic comparison to any incandesent vs any LED of the same power source. The Incandecent is going to provide a more focused, tighter, more piercing, but yellower, beam, whereas the LED will be whiter, larger area of light, with no rings, shadows, or uneven spots, but will not throw as far, but will run longer.

I have both the InReTECH 2AA and a new Brinkmann 2AA Legend, and much prefer the overall output of the InReTech to the Nexstar. I would never be in a situation where the Nexstar would give me a light output that i would prefer over the InReTech. It's not like comparing a SureFire to a Luxeon Star.

If you want brighter, I would suggest waiting for more Lambda "Ill Pills" or some dat2zip's BadBoy Violets, or more LGI's from Mr. Bulk. But, they are also more expensive, and with shorter run times also.

Hope that helps.

shipinretech

Enlightened

BuddTX,

Just to let you know, the prototype 3D TRILIGHT has been running for 36 hours on a single set of batteries and is still bright enough light to illuminate my basement. Just thought you'd want to know. That and the prototype is available for the Craig Fund in the Buy/Sell/Trade room...

Start stretching for the touchdown dance...

Tesla

Enlightened

Budd Tx

Thanks for the input. I'm a little disappointed that there were only 2 real replies to my inquiry (Thanks again Roy & Budd Tx). Obviously, I'm aware of incandescent AND LED's pluses & minuses, generally. What I was looking for was something meaningful in the real world....like can you read a mailbox or house number from the street or something that would let me know if the light has any "reach" to it. Unless and until an LED light can compete on "throw" with a half-way decent incandescent, they are going to be considered a niche or "curiosity" by most. I have a decent assortment of both. I prefer the color, durability and "no black hole" offered by LEDs, but there is a serious "hole" not filled by LEDs yet...that of a small, bright flashlight with "reach". That brings me back to my original quest. To rephrase my original question...can you read a house number from the street with the inretech drop-in? If not, why bother? I can use my Arc AAA or PT Attitude for anything close up....thanks & hoping for further input.

shipinretech

Enlightened

Tesla,

I just checked with an InReTech adapter with used batteries. I could easily see twenty feet across my unlit basement. What was completely black was well lit and my pre-coffee vision could readily discern 2" high letters on boxes. I fully expect that house numbers could be read from the street in moderately bad weather. If you are in Beverly Hills where they have 100' front yards or are in a full gale, I'm not making any promises. Get our TRILIGHT or HELIOS TRILIGHT and we can do something with that problem.

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened

If you want throw, then you really have to stick with incandescent light. You could probably put a spherical cap on one of the Luxeon based light to get the throw. However, my own experience after playing with couple of magnifying glasses and Luxeon based flashlight did not impress me much.

If you want to reach and read 50~100 feet, LED is not going to serve your purpose as the beam angle disperses much more with LED+collimater than with a standard bulb and reflector.

This my experience after playing with few Minimags (with and without Nextar), Mag 3D, RS 3C, Lambda Illuminator and LGI.

Having said that, even for 50~100 feet, I prefer LGI than all of others.

If you yet to purchase your first Luxeon based flashlight, then you are really missing something.

- Vikas

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

I wanted to add something to my post above, an that is that in this specific example, the InReTECH 2AA Luxeon Star is the clear winner over the Nexstar 2AA incandecent bulb.

HOWEVER, there are lots of examples where a Incandecent will blow away any any current LED. My 2 mil CP Optronics spotlight is an example. There is no LED equivalent, or even anything close (yet).

And, sometimes, you want, or prefer, or need the type of light that a incandecent provides. Lights like the bigger SureFire's and the Streamlight Ultrastinger etc have almost perfected this kind of light.

I just wanted to make that clear, that, while I really like the LED's, they are not the best option for every "flashlight" situation.

When I walk my dog, on the dirt roads by the Bayou in back of my house, with no light at all, sometimes I have two Luxeon Star Lights, mounted to my belt like two headlights, and a Brinkmann LEgend LX upgreaded with a SureFire HOLA (P61) in my hand. The LED's give me walking light, the incandecent in my hand to light up things hundreds of feet away.

Sometimes I take my InReTech SUPER6, if I am walking with others. Sometimes I take my Streamlight 3C, 10 LED light.

(Yes, and sometimes my dog does not get walked at all, because I can't decide what flashlight to take (grin!)

For me, as long as it gives enough light, I will switch around. After all, it's a stupid, fun, inexpensive hobby, and why not switch around. This way, when you REALLY NEED a light, you know what to grab!

Tesla

Enlightened

Thanks to all. I am still considering trying the InReTech mod...not really all that interested in the others as they are more 1-off mods that are probably here today/gone tomorrow. I have no interest in a product that requires an excessive wait to obtain or replace if there's a problem. It's quite a fascinating period in LED development at the moment.

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast

Do try a real acrylic sphere -- the spot of light using that is much better than what a magnifying lens produces). 'TAP Plastics' sells them cheap.

The only reflector-type LED light I've seen produce a comparable useful round spot beam is the Dorcy 4xAA Turtlelight clone (and probably the real Turtle also). That works partly _because_ it doesn't put a whole lot of bright light right in front of me. Using the new bright modded lights, sometimes the nearby "glare" is relatively blinding compared to the light on the distant object.

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast

We are working on getting our backorder time down and apologise for the delays that we have had in the past

I am very excited about the new TriLight, its basically the LED Flashlight you always wanted

We are also working on some new battery technology that just came available and will be releasing that as an option also

Mike
www.inretech.com