T rex DNA

DarkLight

Enlightened
So how does bone marrow stay moist and intact for 70 million years in porous bone without either drying up, or becoming waterlogged from sitting in water...

bone up close looks like a sponge....

its either a miracle..or its not 70 million years old all I can figure..

Any scientists out there with ideas?

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go watch the movie Jurassic Park. It's possible to recover DNA that way but INCREDABLY unlikely to find! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cheesehead

Flashlight Enthusiast
The DNA just needs to stay away from DNAase, enzymes that break it down. Well, then after that a few more "small" hurdles will have to be overcome before making a dinosaur. Although, if I had to wager, I'd say it'll be possible.

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
I heard about this. I have no idea how it sayed intact for who-knows-how-long, but I hope they dont clone it. A pretty scary theory when I think of it... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/aaa.gif But I am sure it is possible to clone it. If they can clone cats, mice, and sheep, they can probably clone Dinosaurs. After practicing on some birds first of course.

prescottrecorder

Newly Enlightened
Seems to me that I read that it was in a dry environment or the bone would have fossilized. Don't know about moist, but the marrow was flexible and speculation was that the unusually thick thigh bone of a T-Rex was what protected the marrow and that if museums were willing to cut up their displays they would likely find more of it. Also that they didn't think they would find more than DNA fragments, but I guess we'll know for sure when the first T-Rex escapes from the cloning factory /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
LEt's say for a moment that it was possible to clone it; where would they KEEP it? An airplane hangar? And if it's an omnivore, how could they afford to keep feeding it? I'm sure that it wouldn't be happy with Purina Dino Chow...

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Then they would have the familiar electrical fences, then they have the guided tours that are cars with yellow and black stripes, and then, and then, why I already hear the theme song of Jurrassic park!

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Mags said:
Then they would have the familiar electrical fences, then they have the guided tours that are cars with yellow and black stripes, and then, and then, why I already hear the theme song of Jurrassic park!

[/ QUOTE ]

You forgot to mention the.....MAXABEAMS!!!!!!!

(the electric trucks along the rail and the gas jeeps in the first JP were green, red, and yellow by the way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif .

In the second one they moved to heavily modified Mercedes M-class SUVs that wer gray/black)