• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Need a Good AA Light

LT49

Newly Enlightened
Can someone build / modify a light for me that can run on alkaline, Nicad and/or NiMh batteries. I contacted a couple of known builders with no luck. Ideally, an Aleph or SF that can run reliably on AA batteries. I know it will not be as bright as a standard Aleph (or SF) but sometimes I only have access to locally supplied AA's. THANKS.

jtice

Flashaholic
The main problem might be that the battery packs for these lights arent made to hold AAs.
You could use a 3x123 size packs, but then you would have wasted space and a longer light than you need.

What you need is an Arc LS, or modified one.
They have an option of a 2AA pack.

The problem is, Arc is out of business, and there are few left. That drove thier price up, especially for midified ones. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Dont mean for this to sound like a total shameless plug, but I plan to have a few LS mods for sale in a few weeks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Then there are the mini mag mods.
You can get a sandwitch from teh shoppe, and mod your minimag in about 5 minutes flat.
Runs off 2AA just like it always did, and will be ALOT better than a stock minimag.

You may be looking for a better host thoguh, something better looking etc.

~John

AuroraLite

Enlightened
I guess one possible way to do it is to obtain a FB3(vital gear)body and have a custom made MM+ board(light engine, 3V input) in Aleph head. Then you could use 2AAs with an Aleph or 1 123/CR2 battery(if you get additional 123/CR2 body).

But with that price, I'd recommend to just go with a sandwich(which I am a big fan of). Plenty bright with 2AAs, ans as Jtice puts it--it will take only a minute or two to mod, if you purchased the made ones. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am currently (yes as I type) running an Aleph 3/Nexgen 917/TWOJ on a UBH with 2 panasonic NiMh 2300 MaH AA batts.

Darn near same brightness compared to using 1 168s.

Only drawback is with a McE2s switch the light flickers on low. So I use a Z57 clickie. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Krit

Enlightened
I use Mag2AA with TX0J luxIII drive with both Nextgen500 and Minipro from lambda. Both are working very well. I can use NiMH battery which quite cheap. Run time about 2 hours is resonable for all propose use.

Aleph2 with 1*123a is very good when it fit in my belt for EDC but Minimag 2AA is more comfort when in my hand for operate.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beamhead,

If you're getting flicker on your 2 AA setup and the McE2S, try a resistor PCB in the switch with less resistance. If you are running 15 ohms, try 10 ohms instead.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lit49,

There are a number of options that you have. I believe that you PM'd me about this and now that I think about it, you do have some nice lights to choose from.

Keeping in mind the battery configurations that you are interested in, I'd go with the MadMax converter, in one flavor or another.

I think that the least expensive option would be to go with a mini mag. You could get a MM+ sandwiche and two mini mags. You could leave one the standard length and have the other chopped in half to run on either a 1.5 (1.2)v AA or a 3v AA cell. Of course, you also have to live with the mini mag short comings too. Kroll switches are iffy, so reliability dictates the use of the twistie. I don't want to start a debate on the matter; I'm just speaking from experience. The good thing about the mini mag is that you just have to keep from loosing it. Swapping the host is a simple matter of replacing it with another $8 light.

The other option that comes to mind is to have a light engine built. This would open up lots of options. You could run 2 AA cells on a vital gear 3 cell body. You could run 1 AA cell using an Aleph 1.5X123 body and a McE2S. You could also run any of the Aleph heads with the light engine. You would also have the option of running the LE with a single 123 cell body.

I suppose that the biggest consideration is going to be cost. Although going with the light engine would involve spending more money, it is more flexible.

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Chop said:
Beamhead,

If you're getting flicker on your 2 AA setup and the McE2S, try a resistor PCB in the switch with less resistance. If you are running 15 ohms, try 10 ohms instead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Chop,
Mine is 10 ohm, it flickers with the Nexgen 917 but not the Nexgen 500. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

BTW...It is nice and bright with the Nexgen 500/UBH/2 NiMh AA's! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jaids

Enlightened
Get a cutdown minimag from TrueBlue if he is still selling them and get a madmaxlite sandwich. If TrueBlue is out then wait for a group buy.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beamhead,

Does the NexGen917 have a higher Vf luxeon on it? That's the only thing that I can imagine would cause that. Maybe going with a 6 or 7 ohm PCB would get rid of the flicker for you with the NG917.

LT49,

If you want a chopped mini mag and trueblue doesn't have what you're looking for, let me know. I could chop one in half for you. For a reasonable price that is. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beamhead,

Taking a guess, I'd say that your TWOJ might be at the upper limit of the J Vf range. I've never seen a NG with a 10 ohm PCB flicker, so I'm only guessing.

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chop,
Thanks for your input.
I just run the NG500 and it is bright!
Could it have something to do with the current being delivered by the 2 NiMh AA batts? I ask because it(NG917) does not flicker/hum when driven with a Pila 168s.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Throw is first and foremost a function of reflector size. Comparing a Streamlight ProPolymer Luxeon to any mini-mag conversion is really mixing the fruit, IMHO. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

With a 3xAA battery tube and 27 mm reflector (Aleph 1 or PR based head) I think you are getting closer to a reasonable comparison. A custom Al light compared to production plastic light is still some mixed fruit and if price is factored in, there certainly will be some disparities! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't understand the comparison of the Nexgen to a 4AA light?

There is nothing similar in comparison. Since the Nexgen is a boost only converter you'd only be able to run the Nexgen on 2AA at best.

So, I would expect a 2AA setup to have less runtime than a 4AA setup no matter how you want to comapare it. If that is what you mean, I fully agree. A 4AA light at the same LED drive current will be more or less twice that of a 2AA light with similar LED drive current.