NightCutter M60L Defective? questions...

fluorescent

Enlightened
Just received a NightCutter M60L. I fired it up, it went dim after a few seconds and got a funky blue/green color. I figured it was the batteries so I pop out the old ones and put in some new Surefires. Same deal... started out dimmer than I expected then went dim. The batteries that came with it were China batteries that weren't even 3v each. Do these lights typically come with China batteries? So what do you think? Do I have a clunker? Do I send it back to the vendor or take it to Lightship Enterprises. Is Lightship still in business and has anyone dealt with them recently?

thanks

Jeff(fluorescent)

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought Nightcutter stopped working on flashlights to concentrate their efforts on other things. They'd probably take care of you, though. Wouldn't want to guess what's happening unless you've either got bad batteries or a bad connection in the tailcap or something. .

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lightship Enterprises is still in business. They are leaving the retail market, but still are making lighting products. I believe that would include their flashlight line. I own an M60L. Surefire batteries do not work real well in my M60L as they do not make real good contact. I have had to fiddle with almost evey set of Surefire batteries that I have tried before they would work well in several different lights that I own. The M60L did come with Powerizer batteries. I have found the Titanium brand batteries from AmondoTech to be very good. They have worked better for me then Surefire or Powerizer and are cheaper too. They also have a new battery, I have not tried it yet, that is supposed to be designed for flashlights.

The problem with the Surefire batteries I have owned is that they do not make real good contact inside the flashlight. In one case a small hair was keeping the + and - between the batteries from making proper contact (new battery right out of the box). As mentioned before, I have found this contact problem to be true with my Surefire batteries in other flashlights also.

Amondotech CR123A page

At this point it may still be a battery issue. If you try the Titanium batteries and you still have problems you could email Lightship Enterprises, but your vendor should be willing to take care of it if you just purchased the light.

NightCutter

In the short term, you may want to take the batteries out and clean the + and - contacts and look for anything that could be compromising their connection on the batteries. If new batteries do not work there may be a problem with the voltage control circuitry.
One last point, do not put RCR123A's or LIR123A's into this light. Lightship Enterprises says the light was designed around a 6 volt input and higher voltages can damage the circuit.

I have had email corespndance with Lightship Enterprises very recently on an unrelated matter (reghargeable battery questions--answer mentioned above). They are generally very good about returning emails. Just let them know you are a product owner needing some help with your M60L in the title.

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
I contacted NightCutter after reading Phil's post. The key wording in the post is NightCutter is leaving the "retail market". That is not necessarily the same as NightCutter is leaving the flashlight business altogether.
There are many avenues for the sale of NightCutter's extremely high quality lights that do not involve the crowded, volatile, and fickle retail market.

In my dealings with the company, it became very clear that they were committed to making and selling only what they believed to be the highest possible quality flashlights. If they truly left the flashlight business rather then compromise quality so they could lower prices, I salute them. If they left the retail market so they could keep their lights high quality and market them in different avenues, I salute them.
I am very glad I was lucky enough to get my custom engraved M60L before they left the retail market. I also wish them well whatever they are doing at the present time.