Which reflector would throw longer?

StainlessSteel

Enlightened
Which reflector would throw a tighter beam, with more light in a tighter hotspot, and less in sidespill?

I know this pic is exaggerated, but it is meant to be.

NewBitmapImage.jpg

Thank you

SS

Jefff

Enlightened
the latter one .. a deeper cone will give ya what your looking for .. and also smooth is more apt to throw farther but textured orange peel type will give you a cleaner hot spot .. hope this helps

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
The one on the right will give much less side-spill. The deeper the reflector, the less light escapes and the more light directed towards a hot-spot. But, it may not give you as tight a hot-spot as the one on the left.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
assuming that both curves are supposed to be sections of a parabolic curve, the first one has a focal point well in front of the forward edge of the reflector. In such a case, the only columation you could hope for would be if the light source were rear directed and in a tight viewing angle. In such a case, this reflector could provide some great columation. If your light source is a typical incandescent or LED, and mounted with light directed forward, the first reflector would do next to nothing at all.

StainlessSteel

Enlightened
Mcgizmo.. thank you.

I was doing some thinking.

I was comparing the different "super" lights to see if one type of reflector is most common.

The maxabeam has a deep reflector, i think, i dont have one. The sleeper is wide, but not bery deep, i think. The thor is kinda a combo of both.
The beast does NOT have a very large reflector at all.

I was just curious as to which one was the best design.

SS