Hello, Department of Water & Power?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
That's funny!!!
Screwed up, but funny!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
must be a basketball players driveway. Just put a backboard and net on the pole and you are there.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
That's got to be a Photoshop pic?! Yes? Maybe the pole was scheduled for removal, maybe it was someone with the capability of installing a pole and it was a practical joke? Wouldn't take long to punch a hole with the right rig and drop a pole in the hole!

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
The story that I got with this pic is that the homeowner was having breakfast before leaving for work and noticed that the DWP was installing the pole directly in front of his picture window.

The owner ran out and the foreman showed him the work order and the easement that allowed them to do that. They had words and the owner had to leave for work, thinking that he had won that battle.

When he returned that evening, this is what he saw.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Very funny! If that was Photoshopped, they did a really nice job as the lighting and the shadows all match up. However there is a large hint that the photo has been through some sort of retouching, maybe not the pole, but look at the weird dark blue splotch in the upper right hand corner. Methinks a logo from an advertisement used to be there...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Actually, that looks quite possible.

The house looks like it is a "modular" home that is built elsewhere and trucked in. The house next to is has the more familiar mobile home roofline.

In my mother's "community" (fancy trailer park) the owner changed the lots after the utilities went in. They ended up relocating curbs, driveways, utility drops, etc when he squeezed in one extra house where there should have been 6.

You'll note that there appears to be a small triangle of scruffy grass around the base of the power pole. That's the same type of shoddy work I see at my mom's place. They's probably promised to "have it moved" as soon as all the rest of teh park is finished. The driveway looks usable.

I could, of course, be wrong. Like PW said, the pixels around the pole appear to be the same as the rest, with none of the usual mismatches seen after editing.

Daniel

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
In the end the owner must have a vehicle with a *split* bench seat in it or they will after they forget about the pole and back away.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I got a forward at work with that image several weeks ago. The accompanying story was funny since I work for a telco and have dealt with customers that want our services, but wish we'd locate utility poles, distribution hubs, and drop terminals anywhere but on their property... 'guess they don't understand the utility easement.

The image looks kind of ... funny ... to me. The entire photo is grainy - a classic trick for hiding the rough edges of a quick photoshop. The pole iself is far grainier than anything else. There's also that wierd shadow coming from the roof.

I've yet to see a "manufactured" home with an attached garage. Thouse houses look to be permanently attached to slabs.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Look at the small tree to the right of the pole... no shadows!! I say photoshoped - funny, but photoshped.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
In the area where my mom lives, manufactured homes are frequently set on what looks like a foundation and attached garages are added on site. The result is quite pleasing to look at, and probably as good or better than an average tract house. Many have an extra peak on the roof. Some have a conventional peaked roof added on site too. I can show you pictures if anyone's that interested. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I looked at the photo again, and must admit that I did not look at it closely enough. As idleprocess says, there are signs that it's been altered. I was wrong.

3/4 of the way up the pole you can see where something was changed, probably a crossbar removed or the length extended. The artifacts to the left of the pole also abruptly change there.

It also appears that a caption was deleted from the area just below the sidewalk and extending across under the driveway. There are several blurs there that are too straight. I can almost make out the letters on some of them.

Good catch, guys.

Daniel

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think there is a home shown on the travel channel where the house was built around a utility pole for some similar reason. The home owner nor the utility company would budge, so the pole is located inside the house and sticks out the roof.