Using Maglite 6D with NiMH accu

sw0rdf1sh

Newly Enlightened
I want to buy Maglite 6D, but it seems too expensive for me buying 6D batteries each time when they finish. That is why i want to buy the following:
- 6*D Duracell 2200 mA/h NiMH accu
- Duracell MultiCharger
- Mag-num Star Xenon Lamp for Mag 5D (LMSA501)

6 * NiMH accu voltage is 7,2 V that is nearly as much Mag 5D Xenon lamp need. I want to install Xenon Lamp for Mag 5D in Mag 6D and use it with NiMH. Does anyone try to do the same? How long flashlight will work with NiMH accu? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
2200 mAh capacity is very bad for D cells, you can get 12000 mAh D cells. Expect a little over 2 hours runtime with the 2200 mAh batteries. If that is enough runtime for you, then you should instead buy a Mag 2D and use 6 AA NiMH cells in two EL 3AA-2D adapters. You can get AA batteries in 2200 mAh capacity (and higher), so you will get the same runtime and brightness with this setup.

Sigbjoern

chrisse242

Enlightened
Not about a 6D, but I started running a 3D with 4 c-cells. Simply drop them in , take out the spring and put it in backwards. A sleeve to hold the cells centered would be good but it works without. 4,8V are slightly overdriving the bulb but not that much. It's not noticeably brighter than with three alkalines but it should keep the brigthness longer, and the cells can be recharged whenever needed.

Chrisse

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
sw0rdf1sh, ditch the Mag 2D/6D and get a Magcharger instead. 3D size, and much brighter than a 6D with 2 hour rechargeable runtime. And, it recharges internally by placing the light in a bracket.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
I beg to differ!

A 6D mag with 6 D cell NiMH cells would run a WelchAllyn 1111 beautifully and for a long time! Bright white light that has more output than the MagCharger and significantly more runtime, albeit with a larger package!

Bill

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
chrisse242 said:
Not about a 6D, but I started running a 3D with 4 c-cells. Simply drop them in , take out the spring and put it in backwards...

Chrisse

[/ QUOTE ]

That's cool...thanks.

chrisse242

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
chrisse242 said:
Not about a 6D, but I started running a 3D with 4 c-cells.

[/ QUOTE ]

Four nimh's that is, not sure if the bulb would survive four alkalines.

Chrisse

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe sw0rdf1sh should chime in with what his upper price range is including batteries. I got the impression he wanted it cheap so I suggested the cheapest I could think of instead of a superlight. It also depends a lot on what runtime he needs.

Sigbjoern

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
chrisse242 said:
[ QUOTE ]
chrisse242 said:
Not about a 6D, but I started running a 3D with 4 c-cells.

[/ QUOTE ]

Four nimh's that is, not sure if the bulb would survive four alkalines.

Chrisse

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear ya. NiCads just coming out of the charger.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed on the Big D. I have both, the Big D when overdriven on 6 high-current cells makes the 1111 look DIM /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like an ordinary PR bulb - part of its appeal. Fits the existing Mag socket, no changes necessary.

Nominally 6V at 4+ amps. MAKE SURE your cells can tolerate 4+ amps (most consumer NiMH cannot). Also, make sure your cells do not sag under a 4A drain because you'll get less than optimal output. Getting the best out of this bulb is tricky because it practically screams for a high current battery pack. Others who have tried it with consumer grade cells report disappointing results, OTOH I use mine with Sub-Cs rated for 30+ amps. I overdrive a little on six cells with 7.2V nominal (realistically 8V+ unloaded).

Nominally 600 lumens, but overdriveable to a healthy 1150 without going kaboom. I routinely light mine off freshly charged packs hot off the charger.

See your favorite Pelican dealer today and ask about the rechargeable SLA Big D bulb /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif