Silva L1 Beamshots .. help

tgh

Newly Enlightened
I have decided that the best on offer for my application is probably an L1.

Why ? 3W led + external battery pack means it can run flat out on my helmet for more than four hours..and that's what I need.

Princeton tec apex isn't available here down under yet.. and it does not have a separate battery pack

Problem is that I need to know how much spill , and how much range, the L1 actually produces.

I have a no-name asian 1W that has a nice balance of beam and spill .
It also runs 3XAAA , and lasts no time at all.

Any input or pics or whatever .. much appreciated

tgh

Newly Enlightened
:thanks: Thanks for the link.

I did a search before posting but it didn't come up.

Looks to be a pretty tight(maybe too tight) beam.. how far away was the wall in the pics ?

I really need a stenlight with two battery packs.. but I would have to rob a bank to cover the initial price , AUD/USD difference , plus the freight.

Princeton tech apex is 60usd ..and 68usd freight add 32% for the xchange rate and whatever the nice customs man wants for his cut :dedhorse: , makes the L1 looks a buyable at aud $210

gessner17

Enlightened
Those were pretty close, 10 feet at very most, probably more like 5 or 6. It has adaqute flood but is a thrower. My U2 definately has more spill, but less throw. It does have a lot more spill than my streamlight argo and its way brighter. I got mine for a little over $100.

sideshowandy

Newly Enlightened
EVERY review i've seen of the Silva's complains about the tight (ie too small) headband so be aware!

Mark_van_Gorkom

Enlightened
I've been told the newer straps are longer. Removing the buckle helps too (got hat size 57 and it fits snugly with the ends of the strap just sewed together).
I LIKE the spot; perfect for cycling (on road, that is). You have to move your head around a bit occasionally, but no more than you would be doing anyway.
Mine stopped working after bumping around in the back of my trike. Hope a replacement will hold up, or I'll have to find a PT Apex or wait for a Petzl 3W.