17670 Load question

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know what these cells voltage would be under a 1- 1.25 amp load? I plan on running 3 in series which could be up to 12.6 volts fully charged. Do you think I would drop a full volt under a 1 amp load?

Mac

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mac:

I tested these cells at 1A on a CBA-II but the graph is at home, I will post the graph later today.

AW

Newly Enlightened
They should holdup pretty well in the 3.4 - 3.7 V range on such a moderate load ( 0.8C ).

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
with a fresh charge they should definitely hold 3.6-3.7V up to 1C (1.4-1.6A).. they will not 'hold' 4.2V with anything over like .5C and you will likely get up to 3.8-3.9V for a few minutes before it settles in at 3.6-3.7V/cell.. i'd love to see the graph can't wait

-awr

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's the AW17670 graph at 1.0A.

AW17670_5.jpg

Last edited:

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks that's very nice.. it does 'droop' a little more than i remembered but the 3.45 'dead bat' value showed up more like 3.4 in this plot.. but it does look like what i remembered basically.. i did my testing with tiny batteries though (aaa)..

-awr

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
the 168 should be a little stronger, the 150 a little weaker, but very simlar. I have noticed a little less output from the PILAs than the raw cells which makes sense.. i seem to remember numbers like up to 80mohm from the protection ckts.. 0.080ohm.. doesn't seem like a whole lot, but it does make a difference.

-awr

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm thinking about a mod to a 10W HID I've got that runs on 4xCR123s and I've read that 3xR123s work too. I've never used those but I've got a bunch of Pilas so I was thinking about a mod to the 10W HID using those. It would be similar to a Wolf-Eyes Dragon I methinks.

-LT

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lunal_Tic said:
I'm thinking about a mod to a 10W HID I've got that runs on 4xCR123s and I've read that 3xR123s work too. I've never used those but I've got a bunch of Pilas so I was thinking about a mod to the 10W HID using those. It would be similar to a Wolf-Eyes Dragon I methinks.

-LT

You would be overdriving that ballast pretty hard if it's the standard WA 10.2v ballast. There are regulated holders that provide 11.4v constant but during the initial 10 minutes or so you would be higher than that. Most people consider 11.4v the max to overdrive this ballast. I may try it though what the heck there rated for 1000 hours so what if we only get 500 :)

RCR123 cells drop more voltage under a 1amp load than these bigger cells.

Mac

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
So what ballast do you suppose is in the Dragon? Is there such a thing as a 12V ballast for a 10W bulb? Just wondering out loud here. Trying to put a favored light and favored power source together.

-LT

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: AWR 'Hotdriver' hotwire LDO driver for Mag
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Complete newb type question, could this work to limit the initial juice from 3 Pilas to the HID project over here?

-LT
ANSWER:
Lunal Tic.. brilliant.. yes it is a voltage limiter.. i believe if you are having over-voltage issues with the HID ballast mostly becaose of 'fresh cell' issues (i.e. if you want a nominal voltage of 10.8 but fresh cells of 12.6 are causing a problem).. this would work absolutely perfect in such a scenario.. i would add on a nice size capacitor on the output to reduce feedback ripples from the ballast causing a problem, but it should work well. -awr

This might be a possibility .

-LT