KL6: Is it worth it?

kukula

Enlightened
Guys I am just new to this forum and "hobby":) Recently I have gotten hold of my first real flashlights, the SF A2 and M6. Both are very good lights and I am very pleased to say the least. Anyway while browsing the SFs catalogue I saw that the KL6 can be used with my M6. I have checked the forums and saw very little info about this combination. Since it is kinda expensive, I was hoping you guys can help me decide wether its worth it to get this lamp assembly. I would surely love to have this so I can extend the runtime with my M6 without the guilt feeling. Thank you so much for reading

Chris

ZippyDan

Newly Enlightened
on the sf website the kl6 does not have the m6 listed as compatible. but im personally have no idea :p

Kiessling

Flashaholic
The KL6 can be run on the M6 as both the M3 and M6 are 9V lights and have the M-Series thread sizes. I did it with my KL6 and it worked well but looked a bit strange.
bernie

supes

Enlightened
I bought the L6 instead of the just the LED head. I bought it mainly to put in combination with my SF M4 which is awesome. I remember reading Size15's having a picture of the KL6 with the M6. It does look a little strange but I think you get like 3 hours of regulated light and then some. If you got the L6 instead, you would have the M3 body and you can make a M3T from the M6 turbohead and just switch off between the L6 and M6.

I must admit the KL6 looks better on the M4. But you do get a lot of runtime with the KL6 w/ M6 setup. Plus the KL6 beam is just beautiful. Maybe you should get a L6 and a M4. :p

Size15's

Flashaholic
The KL6 does fit on the M6 - I personally find it a bit of a waste of the M6's power but I'm normally interested in higher output rather than extended runtime...
P85.jpg

The KL6 also fits on the M4 - I don't like this combination... Too long, difficult to carry...
P26.jpg

If you want some fun from the KL6 you should check out the L6 Porcupine (sold in Asia only I believe):
PK-0001.jpg

Shelby Chan Photo

stuartyr

Newly Enlightened
IMO the L6 is one of the best LED lights around, and you will get great runtime by using it on the M6 body, so I would say go for it!

I have had good fun putting the KL6 on the M6, and the KT4 on the L6 body to make an M3T

Somebody once commented that the KL6 on the M6 body looks like a vibrator :D

wquiles

Flashaholic
Not to try to take the opposite view, but for LED-based lights I found the L6 did not worked "well enough" for me so I sold it after a short while. I even (with help from CM) was able to mod mine to run at 1Amp, and although "reasonably" bright, I found the U2 a much better light to own, since both had similar beams. Since I like the U2's beam better, and since the U2 was smaller, and since the U2 worked perfectly with bare 18650 cells, I sold the L6. Basically to me the L6 had limited sidebeam, and OK-trow, so it really never did anything just perfect to justify keeping it. The U2 is simply a much better 5W light (to me).

I also was lucky enough to build my own 5W LED Lamp replacement module for the Turbo Head, and with an WX1T 5W with a Downboy 1000 I got a much more usefull light than the U2 or L6 ever could (which makes sense given the much larger Turbo Head reflector). Over the last few months I have sold the L6, then sold the U2 (since it wasn't geting much use at all), and recently my M4 (which used to be the host to the 5W LED module) so that I can purchase some new lights and the M6 that I just purchased from the on-going group buy - this M6 will become the new, longer running host for my 5W module ;)

I am glad I was able to own an L6 and was able to play with it for a short while, but it is unlikely that I would ever own a KL6/L6 again. If I wanted a relatively small and great 5W light from SF I would rather buy the U2 - which you can now buy from the GB for about $205 bucks!

Will

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently bought a used L6 for a lot less than the price for a new one. I found that the beam had an unsatisfying lack of throw even when compared to many of the Luxeon I & III flashlights that you can buy today. For example, the E2L nearly matches the throw of the L6, and the Streamlight PP Luxeon easily beats it. (The fact that the L6 was once considered a super thrower among LEDs tells you how far LED flashlights have come during the last couple of years.)

So I recently made this modification. Now I have much better throw, more runtime, and a more pleasing beam in my opinion. I don't even notice the ~50% reduction in output compared to the stock setup.

falconz

Newly Enlightened
Size15's said:
The KL6 does fit on the M6 - I personally find it a bit of a waste of the M6's power but I'm normally interested in higher output rather than extended runtime...
P85.jpg

The KL6 also fits on the M4 - I don't like this combination... Too long, difficult to carry...
P26.jpg

If you want some fun from the KL6 you should check out the L6 Porcupine (sold in Asia only I believe):
PK-0001.jpg

Shelby Chan Photo

WHoa!! Those pics make that L6 porcupine look wicked! Even though the grip reminds me more of a pineapple than a porcupine....

Kiessling

Flashaholic
You'll need a good and secure grip when using it as a weapon. You wouldn't want it to slide off your hand upon impact ...

BTW ... the big usefulness of the L6's beam is the "ram of light" aspect where it throws a relatively concentrated beam with a big hotspot and a very bright corona fairly well out there, bringing a lot of light in a concentrated area.
This isn't too obvious at a first glance since the typical 27mm/LuxIII light has a brighter hotspot and larger corona, but when you actually use the thing you'll be amazed at how much better you can see a lot of your surroundings in the dark outside with the L6 than with a KL1 for example.
In addition to that ... 90+min in regulation on 3x123 isn't too shbby either.
IMHO the L6 is an underrated light.

And the L6 Porcupine is a pure work of art. Perfection in every detail, yet excessively simple to use and quite efficient for its intended purpose. I love it.

bernie

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
the L6 porcupine is what i think about when i'm drifting off to sleep... i keep thinking of how cool it would eb to have... however... beyond that i wouldn't know what to do with it..

i'm surpised theres that many people how there that are saying they like their U2 better than the L6... at least when it comes to throw...

is this true? does the U2 have more throw than the L6?

thanks!

Kiessling

Flashaholic
No, the L6 has more throw, but not so much that it makes a huge difference as the beams are "relatively" similar, at least for the "hobby user". As the U2 is so much smaller and easier to carry AND has different brightness setting it wins the competition.
BUT the L6 has its merits, too. Runs longer, runs cooler, throws further, fits different hosts.
bernie

kukula

Enlightened
Thanks for all the great response guys. I guess I just might get the KL6 then. I still dont have a LED light, well the A2 does have led, but then its a hybrid actually. But then again, I might just as so get the EDC 85GT too :thinking: :)

Btw Size15, thanks for those pics. That porcupine looks awesome!!! I tried to do a search and found out it costs like $700 plus! Man I would rather get an HID light instead:laughing:

Last edited:

Kiessling

Flashaholic
The L6 Porcupine is a piece of art beyond all other flashlights so far. And Shelby has the talent to reflect this in a picture.
bernie