I need a headlamp!

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was just checking out the Photon fusion and it made me think about how bad I really want a good headlamp..
I like the fusion but it seems a bit big, my uses would be for camping and work.. I would like one that uses 123a's because I have many as well as the benifits of using them in the cold.
This is going to be a Christmas present for myself, so I want a decent one..
Lots of flood is good too, not too interested in a "beam".
Thanks!

WDR65

Enlightened
The only one that uses 123's that I've used is the Streamlight Argo HP. I think it had a pretty good mixed beam but I only used it in the store. It seemed pretty well made and plenty bright. Hope this helps a little.

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Send a PM to Cromagnet (Tony). He has tried out most of the ones currently on the market and can give you some good real life recommendations.

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys! I have an Energizer one now, the beam is too narrow, I find I have to move my head too much while operating it.

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks again!
I think I am going to lean towards the Petzl Myo XP, it doesn't do everything I want, but the size is great..

ZENGHOST

Enlightened
WDR65 said:
The only one that uses 123's that I've used is the Streamlight Argo HP. I think it had a pretty good mixed beam but I only used it in the store. It seemed pretty well made and plenty bright. Hope this helps a little.
I like everything about the Argo HP except for the beam. The one I have has an ugly beam (at least in my opinion).

txmatt

Enlightened
The EOS is a fairly bright spot with usable spill. I certainly wouldn't call it a flood. A dime-size circle of WriteRight spreads the hotspot a bit.

The new Princeton Tec Apex sounds promising although I certainly don't NEED another headlamp.

The value leader may be the River Rock headlamp from Target...

http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/riverrock_headlamp.htm

It's a heck of a deal for $15. Some WriteRight smooths and spreads its beam as well.

vtunderground

Enlightened
Pydpiper said:
How is the flood on a Princeton tec EOS? That one is small and cheap..

Pretty much non-existant. In unmodified form, it's a spot beam. See the thread titled "Help me narrow it down..."