Keeping a lens scratch free?

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
How do you guys do it? My River Rock already has one from pocket lint and I keep a beamshaper on the KL4 (its a B**** to remove everytime to use my light) since I don't wanna scratch it. Any better solutions?

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can use a light that will clip to your pocket, or has a glass lens. A lot of lights can have their plastic lenses replaced with glass. I've never had a plastic lens scratched so bad as to be unuseable though.

Scott

Size15's

Flashaholic
I've been using and abusing SureFires for years and never managed to scratch any of the Pyrex windows unless I was intending to (and even then it wasn't easy)
What on earth are you doing that causes them to become scratched?! :thinking:

It is not something I find I've ever had to be concerned about in the slightest.

Al :shrug:

greenLED

Flashaholic
The RR lens is probably plastic. Like Al said, I've never worried about it (even when lenses do get scratched).

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont want to damage any AR coatings. And I occasionally, accidentaly stick my TW4 into a pocket with some lint in it

Grubbster

Enlightened
Light scratches (pun intended) can be polished out of plastic lenses by using 0000 steel wool and then using a polishing compound like Flitz or Simichrome paste to take out the steel wool scratches. I would not do this unless the scratches really bugged me though.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you don't mind a bit of diffusion, you could apply antireflection tape to the outside of the lens--specifically, the adhesive-backed tape sold for the older black-and-white Zire (spelling?) PDAs that has been discussed in the Incandescents forum.

Zigzago

Enlightened
The Arc LS used to ship with a piece of clear film over the lens. You had the option of leaving it on for protection or peeling it off. I believe it was similar to the PDA screen protector film.

BlackDecker

Enlightened
I use a piece of 'Writeright' film on my River Rock 2AAA flashlights. It helps to diffuse the light as well as protect it from scratches while in my pocket.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Measure the OD (outside diameter) of the bezel.

Go to a gun shop or sporting goods store.

Buy a clear protective lens cover for a rifle scope. Some come in a tip off (flip up) version. Some have the protective lens and a tip off cover. Usually under $10.

Slip the cover over the light and you're done.

Adds a bit of bulk to the light, but it's a cheap and effective solution to scratches. The cover takes all the abuse.

Kris

Newly Enlightened
Al is right, I have never scratched a Surefire lens and I am pretty roough with my lights.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
My pocket lint isnt just lint, some how theres also grit in there. (my pocket knives gets it all over their pivots)