🎄Don't Forget the Women in Your Lives🎁

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do kinds under 20 in USA even know what sos is. i'm sure some do, but i doubt most know.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks KITROBASKIN I was aware of the variance but preferred Save Our Souls due to family maritime connections 👍

Do kinds under 20 in USA even know what sos is. i'm sure some do, but i doubt most know.

Gamers get to learn all types of interesting tid bits of history...

Last edited:

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
@fenix store
Strobe is useless to keep 'bad persons' away from you. That strobe is confusing someone is a fairy tail, since decades.
The only 'strobe' that may help is an LED incapacitator. But even not everyone will be confused with this!
If you have the feeling to use the strobe of your flashlight the recommendation is run, run as fast as you can! That is the only way you may be save.

And now coming to SOS, this is also starting getting uncommon. SOS was replaced 1999 by GMDSS, young people start not knowing it anymore...

Even others are thinking in the same way whwn I read the answert! Why coming up always with the same useless stuff as life safer blabla....?

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
@fenix store
Strobe is useless to keep 'bad persons' away from you. That strobe is confusing someone is a fairy tail, since decades.
The only 'strobe' that may help is an LED incapacitator. But even not everyone will be confused with this!
If you have the feeling to use the strobe of your flashlight the recommendation is run, run as fast as you can! That is the only way you may be save.

And now coming to SOS, this is also starting getting uncommon. SOS was replaced 1999 by GMDSS, young people start not knowing it anymore...

Even others are thinking in the same way whwn I read the answert! Why coming up always with the same useless stuff as life safer blabla....?

I agree with you about strobe being useless as a defensive device

HOWEVER, how I do find a strobe to be useful is as an attention getting device

I have used the strobe feature many, many times in order to get the attention of someone, and have found it to be very effective

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys, trust me on this.... Get her something a lot more romantic than a flashlight for Christmas.

LOL!

This discussion started as me requesting Fenix to STOP, in the name of all that is holy, putting an SOS mode on their flashlights

I would say that we have been having an interesting conversion about that since

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have no problem with SOS mode on a flashlight, provided it has it's own way of accessing, so you don't have to cycle through it every time when changing modes. I seldom use strobe or SOS, but something like clicking the side switch twice for strobe and 3 times for SOS is fine.

If a person fell while hiking and had a broken leg and was trying to signal an aircraft, or someone else who was out of earshot, SOS could be a lifesaver, where strobe wouldn't necessarily indicate that you need help or are just a kid fooling around with a flashlight. There are many similar situations where SOS could be used for someone in distress.

Most of my modern lights with SOS these days have a separate command to access, so I like having it there if needed.

For years I've requested people that post such to provide DOCUMENTED instances of ANY saves by/of anyone using SOS on a flashlight

pnwoutdoors

Enlightened
Please provide 1 DOCUMENTED incident where the SOS feature on ANY flashlight was used for a save of any person?

Strobe can certainly be used to gain attention, and I myself have used, and do use strobe for that.

Viewed from another perspective, SOS is merely strobe/flashing with a pattern. Though, in this day and age, quite likely many who see such flashing won't have a clue about the meaning of Morse code.

It's fairly obvious, though, that a flashing beacon of some sort is more likely to attract the eye than a plain, flat light. (Same sort of logic behind a waving train headlight, or "flashing the brights" on a motor vehicle, or any other deliberate signalling where a plain steady light could get lost in the "noise.")

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
Viewed from another perspective, SOS is merely strobe/flashing with a pattern. Though, in this day and age, quite likely many who see such flashing won't have a clue about the meaning of Morse code.

It's fairly obvious, though, that a flashing beacon of some sort is more likely to attract the eye than a plain, flat light. (Same sort of logic behind a waving train headlight, or "flashing the brights" on a motor vehicle, or any other deliberate signalling where a plain steady light could get lost in the "noise.")

Agreed!

This is what I've been saying!

For gaining people's attention STROBE, is MUCH better.

SOS mode is an answer to a question no one asked

Or as been said by others, nothing more than useless marketing hype

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
This discussion started as me requesting Fenix to STOP, in the name of all that is holy, putting an SOS mode on their flashlights

I say it's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

I think it's comical that you're so adamantly against it. Why is that? If you have a light that has SOS or strobe, you don't necessarily have to access them. And there are many lights that you can buy that don't have them, if they upset you that much.

I agree, kids these days may not know what it is, but then again, they seldom stray out of their parents' house, or too far from the video game console to ever need it anyway. I'm sure if they bought a flashlight that had SOS mode, they would google it and find out what it means.

I personally do some hiking in places like the Great Smoky Mountains, and sometimes alone, and sometimes off the beaten path. Of course, I let the campground attendant know approximately where I'm going, and that if I don't return by dark, or the next day, to send help. Anyway, I'm happy to have SOS mode on my lights. Different strokes for different folks.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
Here's another example. There's a fishing spot right down here at the river near where I live. You have to walk down a steep embankment to get to it. If I fell down that hill and broke an ankle or leg, I probably couldn't get back up the trail. There is regular barge traffic that I could signal SOS, who would likely call the county authorities. If they just saw strobe mode, they would likely think nothing of it.

Just because one person doesn't use a feature, doesn't mean that others will not.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's another example. There's a fishing spot right down here at the river near where I live. You have to walk down a steep embankment to get to it. If I fell down that hill and broke an ankle or leg, I probably couldn't get back up the trail. There is regular barge traffic that I could signal SOS, who would likely call the county authorities. If they just saw strobe mode, they would likely think nothing of it.

Just because one person doesn't use a feature, doesn't mean that others will not.

Again, please provide ONE DOCUMENTED incident of a flashlight flashing SOS that has saved/rescued someone, ANYONE

If you are looking to be NOTICED, strobe is what you want to use, not a slow flashing SOS

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
We are not arguing that sos should not be there at all, we argue that it is useless for the purpose they advertise, which is personal security. it would most likely very much disappoint someone who relies on it for that, i would also argue you will not get the attention you expect in any emergency situation, but this is for a different thread,

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
I'm not saying SOS is for personal security, or to get NOTICED. It is a signal for someone in distress, and that's it. Not for when someone is chasing you down a city street, etc. More like for rural situations, as I said, someone alone trapped with a broken leg, etc.

I provided 2 examples of where it could easily apply to situations that I've regularly been in. I could see even using strobe to get the attention of a barge, or aircraft, and then switching to SOS. I hope I never need it, but it's not useless, and I like it being there. Of the many people who carry a concealed firearm, very few - like less than 1%, will ever have to draw it on another person. Is that a reason to not carry it? I think not.

I'm sure SOS has been used before, and saved lives, whether it was by radio transmission, by light, by Morse Code, or whatever. If you want documented proof, you'll have to do your own research on that.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure SOS has been used before, and saved lives, whether it was by radio transmission, by light, by Morse Code, or whatever. If you want documented proof, you'll have to do your own research on that.

I have researched it, multiple times over the last 15 or so years (when I first became aware of the SOS mode being available on flashlights)

I have found NO DOCUMENTED cases of successful use of an SOS mode

So, if you feel that SOS mode has been successfully used, please present any DOCUMENTED incidents in which it was