one of my fav lights, ARC LS first run

cy

Flashaholic
one of my fav lights, ARC LS first run...

world's first production luxeon lights had first gen low dome emitters and were voltage regulated. almost without exception were all greenies.

rare is the first run that's pure white. I've never seen one. we've gotten progressively more picky as tints get better. used to be WO was considered pure white. now most folks are prefering XO or YO for white, which to me shift twards blueish.

so what does this have to do with my first run? nothing except noting where we've come from. and this particular first run has an extremely white beam. you can actually hunt white walls with it :D

another bonus is how ARC first run will thrive on cells used up by other lessor lights. here's a battery station CR123 measure at 20% level on ZTS tester. first run not only runs fine, but is nearly full brightness with an almost dead cell.

first run's electronics is the work of dat2zip's MM circuit, done in parallel to double output. will support single AA alk cell. no wonder it thrives with an almost dead CR123 cell.

it's still one of the, if not the most versitle platforms ever made. supports 1x AA, 2x AA, CR123 and R123.

still one of my favorite lights!

arc 656.JPG

zts.JPG

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
A first run Arc LS,
The luxeon light that started it all...and started to empty my wallet on luxeon mods. Always liked the LS although after the first run, they would not take a single AA.
Maybe Peter has a high/low switchable LS cooking in the skunkworks that will take all the batteries like the original.
Sometimes progress can be defined by looking back to see if we drifted off the original road.

cy

Flashaholic
here's a beamshot of first run and mclux ti w/TXOH
note the imperfections of first run low dome as compared to current state of the art for tint.

both beams look very white. camera does a great job of bringing out base tint

bs arc 656.JPG

bs mcgizmo ti.JPG

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a brown board version (higher power). The Lux in this one is very white in the center and tapers off to a warm white/pale yellow.

1run.jpg

Last edited:

cy

Flashaholic
brown board hybrids were current regulated driven at aprox. 500 milliamps. green board hybrids and brown are fairly rare.

I've seen some of those come with high domes. they were the transition models from first run to LS1/LSH series.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Thanks for starting this thread cy...I totally agree and still have my little "herd" (or should I have said "hoard"? :D )...It's nice to look back, appreciate, and know what helped start it all...

I sold off a few, just can't bring myself to let anymore go. Have several versions all the way from the "Grey Kits" up...

BTW, THANKS PETER!!

cy

Flashaholic
firefly99 said:
Sweet light. Where / When can I get one of these Arc LS ?

they come up on b/s/t all the time, but not as frequently

amazing how first runs are still among the best battery drainers around. I've got a huge bag of 1/2 dead 123 cells that first run will run happily on.

Last edited:

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
cy,

Thanks for posting this thread!

I don't have a first run LS, but I do have an Arc LSH-S (#053), and I love it and will never part with it. Actually, I sort of did have to part with it because my wife stole it and uses it as her own personal light. I still can't bribe it away from her. It has a twisty on it, and she thinks it is small and cute. *sigh* I wonder if she appreciates more than that about it? I hope so.

Anyway, it really is one versatile light. Not as versatile as the first run because it doesn't have the 1AA body, but still, it can run off of lithium AA's, NiMH AA's. Alky AA's, and any other AA chemistry, plus 123's, and even, I would guess, R123's. It's a classic.

BTW, why is there a TSP-123 on your first run? Shouldn't you have a P-123 on it? A twisty, in other words? Or do you simply prefer the kroll switch pack?

cy

Flashaholic
here's a pic of a few available configs

far right is my two fav EDC rigs. LSH-P with slim twisty and first run w/TSP.

this is the very same beatup LSH-P that got me hooked in lights :D

arc lineup.JPG

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great thread... reliving the old days!

Not to dismiss the newer guys, but every once in a while I'll be reading a thread where someone is complaning that their newest U-bin light isn't bright enough or that if they look really closely, they see a trace of violet in a TW0J... sometimes, not always, but sometimes it just cracks me up. I mean, back in 2002, who honestly thought that we'd have Lux IIIs putting out WELL into the 100 lumen range? Who remembers when folks would pay a considerable premium to get anything better than an M-bin low dome?

We've come so far, and the progress is wasted on many members.

sigh.gif

bombelman

Flashlight Enthusiast
you are right....

I did not know I was not alone....

First Runs RULE....

I mod mine with TX0H's (maybe even FluPIC).

But the whole platform, the Arc system is great...

And you have a very nice line-up (6first-runs !)

And you're right about low input. Even almost dead AA's go in First-Runs and turn night into day....

Cheers to the Arc (First Run !!) :rock:

rugbymatt

Enlightened
I have two first runs one with a brown board. Even with all these new super lights coming out there is something about the Arc's that I just love. they just seem like the perfect light. I can't qualify it they just have, it.

red_robby

Enlightened
Mini-Moder said:
What is a first run LSH worth?

good question, I've seen them go for around $80...but once in a while they can get upto $200 (I've sold a couple on ebay).

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
rugbymatt said:
I can't qualify it they just have, it.

I agree. I've stated before that they fire off the pleasure neurons in some folks' gray matter. If PG makes a similar (albeit contemporary) light someday, I hope he retains the flavor of the originals.

arc0003.jpg

aaa1.jpg

bombelman

Flashlight Enthusiast
powernoodle:

The clastic cap on the 2AAclicky, where can I get more ? I've got one also, but want some more... Know a supplier ?

Thanks !!

Latest posts