upgrades for a g2?

Neil

Newly Enlightened
hello
I have been lurking around here for about a month and i finally decided to join after i bought my first *powerful* flashlight a SFg2 yesterday, I'm very impressed with it, granted i don't own many lights. Since buying this my forst question would be what sort of upgrades are there for the g2? I was thinking of possibly some sort of led upgrade to make the batteries last longer, and I am deffinatly going to switch to rechargables soon. so are there any good upgrades for the g2?

thanks

carrot

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, and congrats on your first real light purchase!

The G2 was my first light, and I haven't felt the itch to "upgrade" it in any way yet, but there is the 3W LED drop-in that replaces the P60. It sounds to me like it gives about the same amount of high level runtime and then can go on longer, albeit dim. Don't take my word for it without a grain of salt, though, since I don't own one. You can get it here: http://www.lighthound.com/sales/gp_surefire_accessories.htm

If you do rechargeables you have a fun upgrade choice -- 2 RCR123As and a G90 HP lamp assembly (from DigilightUSA.com) -- for something like 175 lumens. You might melt the Lexan window, though, so you'd want to replace the window with a glass UCL one. (Or you could put a 6P bezel on it, should you choose to do so -- Lighthound also sells Surefire parts.)

BlackFox

Newly Enlightened
carrot it's not an G90 HP for sale, in this excelent website : http://www.lighthound.com (only 105 lumens :( ) and except your website (DigilightUSA.com) it's hard to find a G90 Hp and be sure of the HP version (on ebay or other websites)

ofcjim40

Newly Enlightened
For my 6P (which you know the G2 is really the same, just plastic construction), I bought the Li-ion battery and 9v T9 lamp from Digilight (yes, Digilight stuff is totally compat. with Surefire, just need to buy the Digilight lamps). Yes, I am sure there was a cheaper way to do it, but this is for my duty (police) flashlight, so I didn't want to play around with different combos, rather pay the money and have it be done right the first time. Well, this thing is BRIGHT AS HELL for the size! I believe the 175 lumens and run time is about 35 mins. Takes about 1.5 hours to recharge the battery on the Digilight charger. I would say this thing is as bright (non-scientific study, just by eyeball...lol) as me Surefire 9P with P91 bulb. Difference, the 9P will take 3-123's and only burn 20 mins. Here I have a smaller, I think whiter light with tighter beam, just as bright light that is rechargeable! To me this is a winner. Yes, you will probably want to buy a new glass lens bezel if it will run for a long time, but you can go to Blackrifles.com and buy a compat. Digilight bezel by itself for about $15.

Last edited:

Neil

Newly Enlightened
will a 6p bezel or other part fit on a g2? also what is the diameter of the 6p threads (where the bezel screws onto the body)

thanks

ofcjim40

Newly Enlightened
I have bot a 6P and a G2, their parts are totally interchangeable. You can swap them all day long. As far as bezels and tailcaps go, the Digilight products will also fit on these Surefire models. This is the end of my limited knowledge on this subject...lol. You need anymore details someone with a clue will have to answer them for you :)

CLHC

Flashaholic
Greetings and Welcome Neil!

Yes, the SureFire 6P bezel will fit the SureFire G2 body as well as tail switches. Al, a.k.a. Size15's posted some pictures of this some time ago so one could get a looksee.

Enjoy!

CoffeeAchiever

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to CPF Neil,

I'm a recently "enlightened" newbie too, I've been a forum member since early February 2006. My first really good flashlight was a SureFire 6P - the aluminum version of your G2. As you can see from my signature, I've taken a full body plunge into this hobby - much to the chagrin of my wife I might add!

Like you, I developed an interest in rechargeable batteries and high output lamp assemblies soon after getting my first SureFire. There is a wealth of good information on CPF about these topics and I highly recommend that you take advantage of it and educate yourself. "Free Lumens" go a long way toward increasing the utility of your high output flashlights as well as eliminate any financial inhibitions you may have about feeding them!

Rechargeable Li-ion batteries are very different from conventional Ni-Cad and Ni-MH batteries and have unique charging and discharging requirements. The come in variety of different sizes and charge capacities. There are also "protected" and "unprotected" Li-ion's and both types have their advantages as well as their limitations. You'll need a dedicated Li-ion "Smart Charger" in order to safely charge your Li-ion batteries.

Probably the most important concept to understand before using rechargeable Li-ion's in your SureFire G2 is that the rechargeables have a higher output voltage than primary CR123 batteries. Most rechargeable Li-ions measure 3.6 V versus primary (non-rechargeable) 123's which measure 3V. In fact, many rechargeable Li-ions will measure 4.2V (or higher) fresh of the charger. This means that if you load two freshly charged RCR123a batteries into your SF G2 and press the tail switch, you will be delivering a full 8.4V (possibly more) to your P60 Lamp Assembly's Xenon bulb! At $17.00 per SF P60 (or $25 per P61), this can get expensive.

In order to run 3.6V Li-ion rechargeables in your SF G2, you'll need to upgrade your Lamp Assembly to a 9V unit. There are many high quality aftermarket SF compatible Lamp Assemblies to choose from. The most popular ones with CPF members seem to be the G&P G90, DigiLight DRB-9VHP, Wolf Eyes D26 9V and Pila GL3. There are also LED replacements such as the BugOutGearUSA 3W LED Drop-in. These components are offered by a number of very reputable Internet retailers and some of them offer discounts to CPF members (hint: see greenLED's CPF Discount Thread).

I bought my first rechargeable "kit" from LightHound. He sells a bundled package that consists of a G&P G90 9V Lamp Assembly, DSD Li-ion Smart Charger and two (2) Unprotected LIR123a 3.6V 800mAh Li-ion batteries. This is everything you need to join the "Free Lumens" movement. Now, the G&P G90 is not the brightest 9V Lamp Assembly (approx 105 lumens) but it is noticeably brighter and whiter than the P60 Lamp Assembly that came with my SF 6P (the same lamp that you now have in your SF G2).

If you must have the brightest SF compatible 9V Lamp Assembly, it's the general consensus of the Hotwires on CPF that the DigiLight DRB-9VHP at 175 lumens is the brightest. However, I now own both a G&P G90 (105 lumens) and a DigiLight DRB-9VHP (175 lumens) and in my humble subjective opinion, there's not a lot of real-world difference between these two lamps when used outside. Yes, you can see a noticeable difference on your living room ceiling - the DigiLight seems to have a whiter, slightly larger hotspot - but I find no real usable difference between the G&P and DigiLight lamps in my back yard.

Good luck in your pursuit of modifications for your SF G2 Neil. You're on your way to becoming a Hotwire yourself and catching the flashaholic bug. Have fun!

Last edited:

Neil

Newly Enlightened
those 5w drop in modules from bug out gear look pretty nice, and yes i have been reading up on the unprotected and protected li-on battery's

Size15's

Flashaholic
The G2/G2Z share most all the interchangeability that the 6P does...

Here are some examples of the various bezels and Clickie TailCaps etc.

Al-swts.jpg

SureFire%20G2-YL%20A19%20KT2%2064.jpg

SureFire%20G2-old%20A19-KT2%2064.jpg

P46.jpg

P74.jpg

Neil

Newly Enlightened
wow thanks for the pics that is a lot easier to understand lol thanks a bunch 15's

Neil

Newly Enlightened
would lighthounds 5w, and 3w drop in modules work with the 3.6v li-on cells? I am thinking of going to leds with my g2 because of shock resistance and increased runtime.

CoffeeAchiever

Newly Enlightened
I can't vouch for the 5W LED module but I have a 3W LED Drop-in and it runs just great with two RCR123a's. I recommend that you write John Crighton at LightHound and ask him directly. He's a great guy and really knows his stuff.

Heat could be an issue with the G&P 5W LED installed on your SF G2. I've heard that the 5W module puts out a fair amount of heat and it may require a metal flashlight body to act as a heat sink.

My BOG 3W LED Drop-in is identical to the G&P 3W LED that LightHound sells. I installed it in one of my two Brinkman Maxfire LX flashlights. The Maxfire is a polymer body flashlight much like your SF G2. I've had no heat related issues with my 3W LED equipped Maxfire. Installing the 3W LED drop-in in your G2 shouldn't give you any problems.

Again, send John at LightHound an email and ask him if the 5W LED is safe to use with your G2 before you buy one.

carrot

Flashaholic
Size15's, can the G2 use the newer A19 extender? I know you said it works on the ones you have, but I think I recall hearing the new A19s do not work on the G2 -- is this right?

Size15's

Flashaholic
I do not know whether current G2's (ones with LOTC's) function correctly with current A19's. I've not purchased an A19 recently.

mdocod

Flashaholic
If you must have the brightest SF compatible 9V Lamp Assembly, it's the general consensus of the Hotwires on CPF that the DigiLight DRB-9VHP at 175 lumens is the brightest. However, I now own both a G&P G90 (105 lumens) and a DigiLight DRB-9VHP (175 lumens) and in my humble subjective opinion, there's not a lot of real-world difference between these two lamps when used outside. Yes, you can see a noticeable difference on your living room ceiling - the DigiLight seems to have a whiter, slightly larger hotspot - but I find no real usable difference between the G&P and DigiLight lamps in my back yard.

the most important difference between a G&P G90, and a digilight DRB-9VHP, is the power requirements... G90s typically consume 1.2amps, where DRB-9VHPs typically consume 0.8amps, and produce as much or more light. this has a significant impact on run time- but it also determins which cells you can run. Ideally speaking, running protected cells is safer- but they have current limitations, which sometimes make it impossible to drive high current lamps (they shut down automatically)... The DRB lamp from digilight, is more likally to work with more of the protected cells available, where the G90, might not.