Inova X5 (white)

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've resisted the Inova X5 for a long time.

Afterall it's a light based on five 5mm LEDs - and I already have the five 5mm LED Xnova 5 (version 1), and more recently the 8LED Xnova 8 new (brighter) version - I mean they have to be in a similar ballpark in performance, right?

Yes, I do realize the Inova X5 uses 2x CR123A lithium primary cells - that's a lot of power - capable of driving those really bright xenon incandescents like the SureFire 6P and the Streamlight Scorpion - so for five 5mm white LEDs?

To me that might not actually be such a good thing - unless this gives an astonishing long runtime - well Inova spec's the X5 at 20hours - good, but not too great.......

Inova X series are well built with type 3 hard anodizing -
but $35 for a five 5mm LED light?

Size comparison
InovaX5sz.jpg
InovaX5sz2.jpg

first photo are lights compared in this review;
second photo is to give a little context with a well known light and a typical 2x CR123A xenon light......

Heads
InovaX5hd.jpg

The Inova X5 not only recesses the LEDs to both protect them and help prevent extraneous side-emissions** (see threads - Stray Side Emissions of Domed LEDs and Light Coverage - spill-diameter Pics)
- but the holes are formed so that they act like mini-reflectors to throw more light forward.

I'm starting to appreciate this X5 design/build more.

vs. Xnova 5 v1 (the original groupbuy from TrueBlue)
InovaX5Xnova5.jpg
InovaX5Xnova5U2.jpg

one can see the Inova X5 is much, much brighter with a larger/wider area of illumination.

So OK the Xnova 5 is an old one - version 1 - and the subsequent versions are brighter.

So compare the Inova X5 with the 8LED

Xnova 8 new/brighter version
InovaX5Xnova8.jpg
InovaX5Xnova8U2.jpg

Yes, the Inova X5 is still noticably brighter still with a much wider coverage.

This is more like it - with 2x CR123A lithiums (which are capable of driving xenon bulbs to spectacular brightness) I was hoping for more, and it seems to be meeting or even exceeding my expectations......

So how bright is this Inova X5 - on humble five 5mm white LEDs?

How about 1 watt Luxeon level?

vs. Fenix L1 v2.5 on fresh alkaline AA
InovaX5Fenix.jpg
InovaX5Fenix2U.jpg

very comparable - and indoors the Inova X5 seems to reach/throw as far as the Fenix..... and the tint of the X5 is actually pretty good - yes, as the -2 Stops underexposed shot shows there is a blue-ish center - but hey this is comparing with a Luxeon.........

Just to confirm this - compared to my favorite compact 1watt Luxeon

S1801 1watt 1xCR123A
InovaX5S1801.jpg
InovaX5S1801U2.jpg

Again this is very comparable -
Note: despite my digicam set to FIXED daylight white balance - I think the camera has done some white balance shifting - as I don't recall the S1801 (one of my favorite tints) being so "green" -
but again this shows the Inova X5's tint is actaully pretty good - for humble 5mm white LEDs.

I suspect from the tint and brightness characteristics and being a late model Inova X5 - it probably has Nichia CS LEDs.

OK, it might be debatable whether the Inova X5 is truly as bright as a 1watt Luxeon - since the beams of the lights compared are different enough in characteristics.

So how does the X5 compare to a good 1/2 watt?

vs. Nuwai TM-310H 0.5w 1AAA
InovaX5TM310H.jpg
InovaX5TM310H2U.jpg

The Inova X5 is definitely noticably brighter with a much wider hotspot coverage and much better tint (but then that's not saying much - since the Nuwai 1/2watts are notoriously blue - and this is my least blue one.........)

Lastly out of interest compared to its little brother -
vs. Inova X1 Spot white
InovaX5X1Sp.jpg
InovaX5X1Sp2U.jpg

pretty different characteristics - the X1 is a tight spot with no side-spill - the X5 is a wide floody-spot, and quite a bit brighter - so it is much more generally useful.

OK let's look at the design - and ** the recess for the LEDs -
InovaX5XnovaSideEmit.jpg

this shows that the recess of the X5 is properly designed - so that there are no strong side-emissions - unlike the much cheaper Xnova 5 and Xnova 8 which show those characteristic strong side-spikes......
(note: the Xnova 8 appears less bright because of its wider flared head tilts the light upwards away from the paper - so it puts less light on the paper.)

Current draw - and runtime question -

set 1 - Duracell Ultra (supplied) 5.98V open-circuit = 0.26A
set 2 - Titanium 6.02-5.97V o-c = 0.21 to 0.23A

This means a total power draw by the X5 of between 1.35 to 1.55 watts.

Considering the nominal capacity of CR123A are 1500mAh (1.5Ah)
the claimed 20hours runtime seems "optimistic"
perhaps 6 to 7 hours might be closer?

Compare this with the S1801 1watt Luxeon running a single CR123A = 0.45A
its guesstimated runtime is closer to 2 to 2.5 hours
for a total power draw of 1.35watts......

I can see the popularity of the Inova X5 - it is very nicely put together - feels solid and quality - its performance is outstanding for just 5mm white LEDs.

But I still think that $35 is a bit too pricey -
use of 2x CR123A - seems to be overkill -
but there is no denying the performance results -

I am impressed - but less by its current price -
I wouldn't pay that price.

Last edited:

dmz

Enlightened
Does your Inova X5 have the 5mm CS leds?

Is there comparison beam shots of the old Inova X5 vs the new Inova X5 have the 5mm CS leds?

The old Inova X5 is too dim.

atm

Enlightened
Great review, thanks. For an around the house/car light, or a reliable emergency light I find the X5 very handy.

BTW they can be found on eBay for about $28, not too bad considering the quality IMHO.

Andrew

Apollo

Newly Enlightened
Great review of the X5. I really like the light and don't mind paying $35 bucks for it, although it can be found for less. It's a solid performer.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
UGgggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh VT!!! You are a bad bad man!!! I have resisted the X5 for a while now, convincing myself that several others I had were just as good, one being the MDXL 3 Watt. Ok let me ask this, is the version for sale at outpost.com the same version? It is $29, as is the X0 which is a decent price for the X0.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lee1959 wrote: "is the version for sale at outpost.com the same version? It is $29"

Answer is I don't know - since I'm a n00b to the X5, never had one, and this is new to me - so I can't compare it to any other version.

My packaging has Inova copyright 2005 -
it came with the holster as opposed to the lanyard - ala the latest versions of the X1 - but remember some reflector X1's also came with the holster.

As I said in the review - "I suspect from the tint and brightness characteristics and being a late model Inova X5 - it probably has Nichia CS LEDs."

Hopefully this also answers the questions asked by dmz earlier.

Last edited:

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was always an incan man until I went all out and got the X5 (Countycomm HAIII). I LOVE IT. It's a great emergency, work-light. It paid me back in spades when the power went out and I had to crawl around our server room. The computers were on due to the ups, but the lighting was out.

carrot

Flashaholic
You write good reviews... but everything you review, I feel compelled to buy... Good thing I've already bought an Inova X5. It's a great light, but its output is hindered by being run direct-drive off the batteries. Even when the batteries are very low, it's still fairly useful, though.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, it's the same one. Outpost.com's parent company Fry's Electronics has been clearing out all of the X5s with blue and green LEDs for $9.90, only the white one remains at the $29.99 price both on their outpost.com site and in their stores. (Sorry, closest one to you would be in Evansville IN.)

Lee1959 said:
Ok let me ask this, is the version for sale at outpost.com the same version? It is $29, as is the X0 which is a decent price for the X0.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brighteyez wrote: "Yes, it's the same one. Outpost.com's parent company Fry's Electronics has been clearing out all of the X5s with blue and green LEDs for $9.90, only the white one remains at the $29.99 price both on their outpost.com site and in their stores."

Just a note of caution.

The Inova X5 (white) has been in this form for years, and I believe has had the same model code of X5MT-WT.

However recently the X5 seems to have used the Nichia CS LEDs -
which would make it noticably brighter -
as my sample of one would seem to indicate - it seems to match the level of a single cell 1watt Lux.....

As the Nichia CS only made its appearance in 2005 -
I would suggest that Inova X5 with Nichia CS would only be ones since 2005.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh! Thanks Vincent, I wasn't aware of the change as I've never had much interest in this light, but that's real good to know. Now that I think about it, (and I'll have to check it again to be sure), there may have also some change in the packaging as well. I don't remember if it was just with the XO lights, or if it was also applicable to the X5s but I seem to remember seeing some packaging that was a fully heat-sealed clam shell.

UnknownVT said:
Just a note of caution.

The Inova X5 (white) has been in this form for years, and I believe has had the same model code of X5MT-WT.

However recently the X5 seems to have used the Nichia CS LEDs -
which would make it noticably brighter -
as my sample of one would seem to indicate - it seems to match the level of a single cell 1watt Lux.....

As the Nichia CS only made its appearance in 2005 -
I would suggest that Inova X5 with Nichia CS would only be ones since 2005.

Last edited:

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems like I wasn't the only one who has "resisted", or had little interest in the Inova X5 - afterall it is only a five 5mm white LED light.

I really thought it would be in the ballpark brightness of the cheapo Xnova 5 - which can be had for about $6 and runs on a single AA alkaline -
or at most the Xnova 8 new/brighter version - also about $6 and single AA.

Well, the Inova X5 certainly firmly put me in my place -
with a performance that seems to match a a typical 1watt LuxI on a single cell.

I have always admired the X5 - since it looks and feels like the "solid-state" claim of LED lights - it looks and feels like one tough hombre - the proverbial "tank" or brick sh1thouse :D

It should seem to be able last through almost any disaster -
a light one can really depend on.

My reservations are -
still the current price - seems really expensive for a five 5mm LED light - regardless of its amazing performance - and I do mean amazing (I suspect very over-driven Nichia CS LEDs).
The use of 2x CR123A - does seem like overkill - since that is capapble of driving ultra bright xenon lights - but then one might need that for the dependability.

I still question its runtime claim of 20 hours - mine draws between 0.21 to 0.26A - nominal capacity of CR123A is about 1500mAh (or 1.5Ah) - just dividing these figures yields between 5.77 to 7.14 hours
this is optimistic and absolute maximum times - assuming one can drain batteries right down to zero - not a good thing for CR123 lithiums - see -

Sticky: A Little Accident. W/123's and a Peli. M6

...... I do realize CR123A voltage will droop some - but very little - being lithium - so does the current draw somehow reduce - or is there some other calculation I am not aware of to give 20+ hours?

DaveG

Enlightened
Nice review on one of my favorite lights,I have had a X5 for years and it has not let me down when needed,the newer brighter version has given new life to a great light. I cant figure out why Inova does not mention the new improved led on the label of the new batch of X5 lights.

matthewdanger

Enlightened
Well, I went to Frye's here in Indy in search of the above mentioned 9.90$ X5Ts. I didn't find any and no one seemed to know if they had any left. So no X5T for me, but I did get a great deal on a CRKT Ryan Model 7 knife (19.90$!) and a Pelican 1020 Micro Case.

iamerror

Enlightened
Nice review! I also recently purchased the X5 and the new X1 with it. I like them both. One thing that surprised me was that the new X1, although dimmer, has a wider beam than the X5. I like the even light that the X5 produces. Like you said, the beam tint is pretty nice (slightly blue). It is much less bluer than the newer X1.

Does the newer, brighter X5 have the same beam width as the older ones?

BR549

Newly Enlightened
Am always impressed with the time and effort put into these reviews - Thanks for all the work. The X5 has always been one of my favorites - I use it for general illumination in the hunting shack ( put it in a coffee cup pointed at the ceiling). The interior is 12x16 and it lights it up nicely. Just as a guess I would say it hits 50% at around 8 hours or so and has diminishing output well past 20 hours. Used to lug a big 12 volt deep cycle up there to run the lights but lately do not bother - just carry an extra set of 123's. By far this has been the most used flashlight I have ever owned. I have often wondered if 3.2 rechargables would work as well but have never checked.

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review. Although I've acquired many brighter lights, I still turn to my X5 often. It's just a good overall light.

dim

Enlightened
How does the output, beam pattern, etc. compare to the Gerber Trio? Aside from some physical differences, batteries, number of LEDs, etc., from reviews, these the X5 and the Trio seem similar.

dim