Review: Photon X-Light Micro, Pics Added

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Background: I needed couple of lights with Photon Freedom UI & Size. Photon Freedom Max is way too expensive (but it has quality . . . read on). The cheaper solutions were Turtle Light (www.mec.ca - I might get this one too for it's 2xCR2032 factor) and now my fav X Light Micro from Photon Light (LRI)

The Light: The light is similar to other coin cell lights in its class, however it is similar to Photon Freedom Max in many aspects with exception for the size and Body Material and Overall Quality. The light has a Soft Silicone rubber cover on the Switch Side. Switch makes Click Noise (sound) when clicked. This gives firm confirmation about the action, some what useful, just in case if the light switches on in the pocket.

• Good Because
    • LED, surprisingly it uses Nichia NSPW500CS C0 LED (datasheet) (See Beam shots below)
    • UI, best in it's class, same as Photon Freedom Max.
    • Relatively Cheap Price @ ~ $9 + Shipping (Freedom Max is about $20).
    • It Glows in Dark, Very useful when finding it in night, the glow remains good enough whole night. around 8 - 9 hours

• Not Good Because
    • Runtime: expect 20 - 25 Minutes till 50% and then a long tail of perhaps a couple of hours, of course not regulated.
    • Uses CR2016 (datasheet) Battery, I wish it had CR2032 (datasheet) (the reason i might get a turtle light).
    • Plastic is Cheap (but far far better than the dollar store lights), brittle, can easy to get scratched and crack. In contrast Freedom Max has a Great ABS Plastic body.
Packaging:

DCP_5148_X_Pack1.jpg

DCP_5149_X_Pack2.jpg

Size Comparison:

DCP_5152_x_Size.jpg

Internals:

DCP_5154_X_Internals.jpg

Beam Shots:

DCP_5159_X_BeamFM.jpg

DCP_5161_X_BeamX.jpg

DCP_5162_X_BeamPIII.jpg

Special: It Glows in the Dark :)
DCP_5164_X_Glow.jpg

Verdict: Overall good, buy one if you are looking for a cheaper alternative to Photon Freedom Max, from my perspective :) You will get more than what you pay for. I am happy with the light after using it for a couple of days.

Last edited:

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Mini Review: Photon X-Light Micro

it was a pleasent surprise to see it glow bright in the night. added picture and updated information.

paulr: the shipping from Bright Guy is :( ... $$$$$

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Mini Review: Photon X-Light Micro

I would like to update everyone that over the days .. this light has been more and more feeling to be good....

one of the most surprising thing... when i first got this light.. i thought it was worst (as compared to Photon Standards) light that i had recieved.. but then.. after using this for a couple of days / week... i find it more and more useful.. and i am liking ever more than before.

I also now wonder ... about flashlight reviews (not www.flashlightreviews.com).... that people do without actually using them... it might happen that at first light seems to be crap.. but later on.. after use they might turn out to be good...

also it might happen that at first, the light seems perfect(may be because of hype).. but later on... utility seems to be :duh: i think i need to start a new thread / poll

cy

Flashaholic
I've got an X-light from shot-show. very impressed with performance, until light came on by it's self.

only problem is with x-light accidently coming on in your pocket. could drain cell in a hurry.

tested on my keychain for a bit, until I pulled it out of my pocket turned on. took it off after that...

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
cy, as compared with my Freedom, X-Light is more difficult to turn on...

it makes a click sound...(if at all it turns ON in pocket) i would get a notice of it...

Yes, I do feel tha there should be a Auto Lock feature :)