U2 / Gladius / A2 for Hiking

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was able to escape for a hiking trip in the Smokey's this past week and was fortunate enough to enjoy the pitch black night in the mountains. I took the U2, Gladius and the A2 to compare and I wanted to share my observations.

Night Ops Gladius:
This is a great light and it did not suffer at all from the very wet conditions. I found that the strobe function is of no value for hiking (duh). The overall output was sufficient for any task and the ultra low dimming was great for use inside of the tent. Outside of the tent, on the dark ground, the lowest setting was not of great value but the flexibility was nice regardless. I kept mine on the memory setting. I kept the light primarily on the momentary on setting as it was a complement for my headlight. This light will do anything that is required for hiking and it would be welcome in my pack anytime. I would rate the Gladius as the 2nd best in this group.

Surefire A2:
No problem with the wet conditions. The 2 brightness settings and the assurance that there will be light even after the incandescent goes dark makes this the best incandescent light I can find or have used for hiking. The overall output of the incandescent and the throw appeared greater than the Gladius and the color rendition was the best of the 3 lights that I used. I do see the benefit of using incandescent outdoors for the color rendition; unfortunately for me, I value runtime and durability over color rendition for extended hiking trips. Of the 3 lights, this would be my 3rd choice due to the volitility of the incandescent source and the lack of runtime options (both the U2 and the Gladius can operate longer at the same level of output as the A2's low beam).

Surefire U2:
Best of the bunch by a large margin in my mind. Easier and faster to switch levels than the Gladius, the low level really is low enough for most tasks and in the pitch black night, my night vision was limited to what I could see when my light shined on it. The U2 crushed the Gladius in output and I cannot see any real advantage in throw that the Gladius has over the U2 (I did notice the hot spot was brighter but not enough to make a practical difference. The output of the U2 was enough to light up entire areas whereas I had to focus on the hotspot from the Gladius. The U2 crushes the A2 for runtime (judging by the rated runtime as described by Surefire); the lowest level of the U2 is equivalent to the low of the A2 but the U2 will run for 40 hours vs. 15 for the A2. Aside from the price difference, I see no reason to choose an A2 over a U2.

Now for those that hike, you all know that the most useful and important light is the headlight. In this situation, the Petzl Zipka w/the brighter LED's worked great. I hiked for hours in the dark and used this light around camp and cannot complain. I am, however, skeptical of the lights performance in the rain. I used my Zipka in a light rain with no problem but I cannot see where it will hold up very well in a downpour (the holes in the light that the string enters and exits the light seem like an easy entry point for water).

If I could only bring one light, I would without hesitation bring the headlight and leave all others at home.

-Goatee

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
powernoodle said:
A real world review like this so much better than someone shining a light at the ceiling. :) Very nice. Thanks.

cheers

I agree... I bought the U2 for hiking/backpacking, so it's good to know that you liked it as much as you did!

Of course, you always need a backup light or three... :banghead:

I have the petzl Tikka+, and it's been used in a snowstorm, rainstorms, inside, outside, and worst of all, latched to me bike... in winter... in Chicago (salt snow dirt who knows what else).

John

greenLED

Flashaholic
powernoodle said:
A real world review like this so much better than someone shining a light at the ceiling.
Agreed! We need more "real world" experiences. Wall hunting is getting old. Great job, Goatee! Comparisons between the Gladius and the U2 are hard to find. :thanks:

Goatee said:
If I could only bring one light, I would without hesitation bring the headlight and leave all others at home.
...and... I must agree. :) I'm after a BD Vectra IQ. The Zipka/Tikka are not bright enough for my taste (but you can't beat them in the size category).

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bravo! Also very applicable as I have a Gladius on the way and plan on using it on a few night hikes and camping events this year.

tracker870

Enlightened
Thanks for sharing the comparison!
I was out with the Cub Scout Pack camping this past weekend and found my U2 performed as it always has, outstanding.
Now, of course, I carried other lights, an L1P, L2P, L0P, TacTikka......

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
my wife and i went camping two weeks ago... i had her use my Princeton Tec Quad while I used my Princeton Tec EOS w/ the 17mm reflector...

after we got back from our trip... she asked me to switch out a load of wash for her into the dryer....

went down stairs opened up the washer and sure enough there sat my prized quad :(

I was so mad... however... after a check of the exterior... no damage was found at all... its still 100% of the day i got it... no scratches nothing... i turned it on and it went through the settings without a beat...

i checked the interior and it was COMPLETELY dry... again batteries everything was completely dry...

the quad has a little ridge that pushes up against the gasket/o-ring in the body... i have always made sure almost ALL my lights are water-proof/dunkable... and it saved me here... PT makes the best headlamps when it comes to water thats for sure...

I think a washing machine is the toughest test any headlamp can go through for its water resistance properties... :)

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
The U2 is pretty heavy for a 2 x CR123 light. I don't know about the Gladius. I did not go camping per say this weekend, but my neighbors had a backyard campout for their kids in the woods behind the house. After hanging out at the campfire for an hour with no other light its pretty amazing how bright the U2 is on level 3 or 4 much less full blast.

From some very old posts I am under the impression that the A2 LEDs will not in fact light if the filament of the incandescent is burnt out. Can anybody confirm or deny this?

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
hum... for me when camping... i want my flashlight to have THROW! My headlamp has all the flood I need for walking and other camping/hiking tasks... however i want my handheld to be able to illuminate that distant target at will :)

last time I was out the Streamlight ProPoly 4xAA Luxeon was at my side...

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
cave dave said:
The U2 is pretty heavy for a 2 x CR123 light. I don't know about the Gladius. I did not go camping per say this weekend, but my neighbors had a backyard campout for their kids in the woods behind the house. After hanging out at the campfire for an hour with no other light its pretty amazing how bright the U2 is on level 3 or 4 much less full blast.

From some very old posts I am under the impression that the A2 LEDs will not in fact light if the filament of the incandescent is burnt out. Can anybody confirm or deny this?

That is incorrect. Not only will the LEDS continue to work with a burnt MA02 LA, the will also work with the LA completely removed. What's interesting about the latter configuration is that you actually get 2-levels of LED brightness, although it's not a drastic differences, but it is quick visable.

a99raptors

Enlightened
I compared the U2 to the A2 to lighting up a waterfall in total darkness at a range of 20 metres. With the U2, I could'nt tell the difference between the flowing water and the rocks! But with the colour from the A2, Ahhhhhh!

A2 it is for me. Smaller and can be gripped with the mouth for hands-free use. :)

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I've always like the A2 for the way it feels in my hand, not even to mention the performance of the light. The U2 was nice, but I could never resolve myself to the reliability issues.

Flashdark

Enlightened
Goatee,

Nice comparison. I had already come to the same conclusion about the U2 and it is my primary "utility" light for all of the reasons stated. Since I am, by necessity, pulled into the camp for night-vision preservation, I have been "stuck" with the Surefire L1-RD/F04 for a headlamp, clamped to a "Peltor" hearing-augmentation headset for cross-country travel. I am not unhappy with this arrangement, and it solves the waterproof problem, but it does leave me with no experience in the headlamp department when stationary "in camp". I currently use the U2 and am looking for a more convenient, "hands-free" solution.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Very nice write-up !
And I agree completely ... except the headlamp issue ... I find them disturbing on my head, they ruin my haircut. Then again ... I don't go camping but only a little walking in the night without anything else in my hands ...
bernie

fasteddie

Enlightened
There are a lot of times camping that you need both hands free. I have a Zipka and I have a U2, but what I find the most useful light for camping is my HDS U60XR and U85. I can carry it around my neck, they have the variable levels of the U2, the strobe, finder, and other features of the Night Ops, and the bezel up clip positioning allows me to clip it to the brim of my cap when I need both hands free. I feel less nerdy with a light clipped to the brim of my hat than wearing the Zipka on my head.

When I camp, I usually end up taking the zipka, an HDS, a U2, and a SF M4 just for fun. (I don't travel light. I also take 3 or 4 knives.) Night hiking, I'll take the HDS and the M4.

Glock40

Newly Enlightened
Surefire stated the LED runtime of 15 hours for the A2. One time my batteries were dead enough that the incan would not come on, so just for the heck of i turned on the leds just to see how long they would last. They ran for 2 or 3 days before they got dim enough that they where no longer useful. Anyone else try this?

cobra-ak

Newly Enlightened
Not to hijack the thread, but how would the Kroma fit in? And are there any Beta testers for the Kroma?

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agree on the headlight. My favorite is the Aurora; not the brightest, but very light, very cheap and bright enough for almost any task short of SAR.

After having read so many reports of issues with the U2, I think it would be one of the last lights I'd take into the woods.

marxs

Enlightened
nice real world review! how far does the U2 throw compared to the A2 though? i know the gladius is a throw monster...but reading flashlight reviews i found that based on the throw charts, the A2 outhrows the u2??? i thought the u2 was significantly higher in lumen rating?

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
my u2 throws quite well. about as well as my pm6 2390

i am really surprised that people say the u2 is "unreliable" what is with that? Once you bend the tabs, there is no problem.... only rarely are there problems with lack of lube.

-Sdavid

Latest posts