My Quick Fenix P1 Review

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
When you consider the cost of the P1, I'm really impressed with its performance. Outside of the L2P, the regulation of the other Fenix lights was poor in my opinion. In some instances, one could question whether the light was regulated at all. That's not the case with the P1. The P1 has nice regulation, a great tint, good beam and is lightweight. It's about the least complicated single CR123 cell light out there right now. You twist it on and twist it off. It doesn't get easier than that. Although I'd love to see a 2-stage switching mechanism in the P1, I don't consider it a requirement due to the long runtime coming from a small, bright, lightweight package. I'd like to thank 4sevens for making these lights available, as well as his quick shipping and customer support.

I may have received a ringer, but I'm not complaining. I have (2) more of these lights coming my way.

FP1a.jpg

Additionally, I think I'm one of the few who actually like the included belt sheath. It's as small as it can possibly be and also follows the K.I.S.S. approach. The light is easily accessible, but firmly held within the sheath as well. Even more importantly, my FF-II and FF-III lights fit great in them.

For those of you looking for a great sheath for your FireFly, spend the $45 for this sheath.......... and oh, by the way, you'll get a pretty nice light inlcluded.

Update #1: Here's the runtime test using an AW R123 cell, fresh off the charger, as soon as the light turned green. Voltage, without load, was 4.05 volts. Initial brightness was off the scale. This light is extremely bright using an R123 cell. Note how the light just stopped, I'm assuming, due to the battery low-voltage protection circuit. Once I noticed the light turned off, I measured voltage and it was 0.00 volts. I have the cell charging in the Nano charger now and I'll check voltage once the green light comes back on.

FP1b.jpg

Update #2: Because I'm really liking this P1, I thought it would interesting to post a runtime chart which compares it to some other popular 1x123 lights. All of these tests were performed using a SureFire CR123 cell. My 2nd P1 arrived earlier today and it's on the meter now.

FP1c.jpg

Update #3: Here's the plot that has the 2nd P1 plotted. It was a bit brighter (not noticable to the eyes), with slightly less runtime as expected.

FP1d.jpg

Update #4: I'm discovering the P1 doesn't need much juice to fire. So far, I've gotten (2) P1's to fire on as little at .97 volts. For me and the way I use a light, this is fantastic news. The ability to see some level of light, even though very dim, is good in an emergency situation. Try to do that on the more function/feature rich lights on the market.

Update #5: I'm now in the possesion of (4) P1's. Three of the are original/stock units and the the other has been modded with a U-Binned emitter. I thought I'd share the runtimes.

P1a.JPG

P1b.JPG

Last edited:

Chao

Enlightened
Thanks for the graph! I like the real flat regulation and you got 145 min regulation with SF battery, this really better than with Sanyo CR123A (around 100 min) according to Chevrofreak's test. Now, I am thinking to get a P1.

Cmoore

Enlightened
I too think the Fenix P1 is a very good light for the money. It takes any kind of 123 battery and provides good output. Although I frequently use rechargeables, I like a primary 123 for this light. It's plenty bright with a primary and has excellent run-time with great regulation.

Simple, works well with all types of 123 batteries and is inexpensive -- my kind of light!

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
why kind of beam does it kick out?

is it floody like a L4/L2 ? U2 like? HDS like? Fenix like?

flood vs. throw.... how does it rate? Thanks TIN!

buba

Newly Enlightened
Nice review, thank you. I also agree with the sheath comments, it also fits the L2P head/CR123 body combo perfectly.

I did cut off the sheaths plastic ring and replace it with a SS twisty keyring from flashlightlens.com. Its smaller and fits my applications (secure to packs) better than the plastic.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
this_is_nascar said:
When you consider the cost of the P1, I'm really impressed with its performance. Outside of the L2P, the regulation of the other Fenix lights was poor in my opinion. In some instances, one could question whether the light was regulated at all.

I dont recall Fenix ever claiming any of their lights except the L2P were regulated.

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
jar3ds said:
why kind of beam does it kick out?

is it floody like a L4/L2 ? U2 like? HDS like? Fenix like?

flood vs. throw.... how does it rate? Thanks TIN!
Beam is inbetween HDS and McLux III PD. My Fire~Fly III has a brighter sidespill and broader hotspot (but nowhere near L2/L4 floody).

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just like the ArcAAA, regulation on a single cell would create a huge current demand from one cell, and runtime would be very short. That's why with 3v 123a, or 2xAA you can have regulation, as you don't have to boost the voltage as much, so the demand from the cell is less.

helios

Newly Enlightened
Mine came with a tritium vial but it is not machined for it.
Anyone else get a tritium vial?

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
helios said:
Mine came with a tritium vial but it is not machined for it.
Anyone else get a tritium vial?

err.. did you order a tritium vial? If not, did you order from me?
I hope that vial wasn't destined for someone else. oops.

helios

Newly Enlightened
Sorry Nascar, not trying to hijack your thread.

In fact, I ordered rechargables for my P1 after seeing your runtime plots. Thanks!

4sevens, I did order it from you. I'll pop it in an envelope and mail it back to you, just PM me your address. It's just sitting in a square plastic case gently giving off radiation right now.

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW- I would never expect a light such as this to trounce the venerable McLux PD in regulated runtime! I must say, your new comparison graph really makes me look at the P1 in a new light. Perhaps I'll pick one up on B/S/T when the price is right.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Yes, I know the P1 is foreign made.
Yes, I know the P1 doesn't have that finely crafted "touch" that we're used to seeing in other products.
Yes, the consistency of the P1's seem to be questionable by some reports.
Yes, the long term survival rate of the P1 is not yet know.

HOWEVER........... when I see a light that has such a small footprint, is relatively inexpensive, runs for at least 2-hours on a standard CR123 cell, is capable of using R123 cells and has flat regulation, I get a chubby. I really don't understand why a 2-stage switch wasn't implemented, however for what you get in the P1, it's not a deal-breaker for me.

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
this_is_nascar said:
...I get a chubby.

LOL :D

a BIT too much information ;).

Perhaps the 2 stage wasn't implemented so that Fenix can later release the "P1T" which is basically the same light with 2 stages, and a body that is *just* different enough so that everyone will have to buy the light over again. Fenix seems to have inherited a marketing strategy from Nintendo (Gameboy Advance, Advance SP, Micro, DS, DS lite).

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Solstice said:
LOL :D

a BIT too much information ;).

Perhaps the 2 stage wasn't implemented so that Fenix can later release the "P1T" which is basically the same light with 2 stages, and a body that is *just* different enough so that everyone will have to buy the light over again. Fenix seems to have inherited a marketing strategy from Nintendo (Gameboy Advance, Advance SP, Micro, DS, DS lite).

I was thinking that same thing, but didn't want to say it. I'm glad you did. Although I commend Fenix for getting products out the door quickly, it pisses people off when they drop $50 or so only to find out a newer/better "version" of their same light is released in a quick time period.

In my case, I use 2-stage lights differently than others here do. Whereas most people want the low mode for reading, checking the kids at night, etc, I only wanted a low mode on those lights that have pretty crappy runtime on high. I used the low-mode as a "battery saving" feature, not for brightness control. If I need lower light, I can cover the opening to stop some of the light from coming out. In the case of the P1, a 2-hour runtime (perfectly regulated) is awesome in today's world of lights, even the customs. Try to name lights that will run this bright for 2-hours. You'll be hard-pressed to find them.

All that being said, I'd still like a low mode in the P1.