My Quick Fenix P1 Review

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want a good light that's smaller than a MiniM*g, the P1 would probably fit the bill nicely. For throw, however, I don't know if it would be quite enough for what you want (950 Lux). Now, this is just a shot in the dark (pun not intended, but welcome), but have you considered a class IIIb green laser? Those are pretty bright, and the throw is like, well, like a laser. I don't know if you would be able to discern levels in tanks and drums, but it might work if you got one with enough power. Just a thought.

lightrod

Enlightened
jayflash said:
....I actually saved $100 by getting the P1 instead of the FF. Well, $100 is almost enough to buy the FF.....

Wow - :thinking: - interesting logic. Anyway -

I am very impressed with what I'm seeing on the P1, but am truly able to resist purchase because I've got the FF3. For size (truly pocketable), quality, and output flexibility I think the FF3 is unbeatable. And the more I use it under more conditions, the more I appreciate the beam. "Soft" center spot (nice sized spot with gradual transition from spot to spill), great throw/spill combo, and natural tint makes it the light I'm always reaching for.

So there's your next airtight excuse: invest in the FF3 to keep you from endlessly buying other lights. So you saved $100 by NOT buying it, now you invest that money into a high return purchase that will save you a lot more money! And the best part of all: you will own BOTH the P1 and the FF3. :twothumbs

[end of unpaid advertisement for the FF3]

Last edited:

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Logic isn't necessary for continued purchases but lots of rationalizations make it easier. Let's see...my birthday is in three weeks, if I collect the loose change laying around (as I did last year at this time) it should be a good chunk 'o the total price, it's almost my third year on the CPF so why not get an FF THREE, I don't have a custom built light yet.

My ritual for acquiring new portable lighting instruments seems to consist of holding off a few months or more, hemming & hawing, internal debating, yearning, sweating, dreaming about the light, mentioning it to my SO, ignoring her financial questions, reminding her how much her Imelda Marcos collection has cost, and finally pulling the trigger.

My finger's REAL itchy!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Lazer is fun for playing with cats and dogs. That does it for what I think of them.

P1 needs to equal or excell Lambda LUXIII minim*g. It is perfect in every way save length.

As soon as I can, I'm gonna try one. Period.

RebelXTNC

Enlightened
I received my P1 from 4sevens yesterday. I'm very pleased with the light itself. Not exactly sure how I'm going to use it though. It's a little fat for keychain or coin-pocket use so my two Peak Matterhorns will probably stay where they've been.
I may switch the P1 with my L1P that has been my belt-sheath EDC since March. Although I may switch to an L2P head on an extra L1P body tube instead. I'm going to have to actually wear them and see what works best.
Certainly the P1 I got is an outstanding performer with a very clean beam, a good tint that's fairly cool but definitely white and not green at all.
I must say it is perfectly one-hand operable, something I always worry about with twisty lights.
I did have to pull the foam ring out of the bottom. There was no way it was going to light with Surefire cells and that thick of a foam ring. I put a small amount of tape around the battery to reduce the rattle.
This light gets warm fast! I don't think I'll do a run time test.
It is a little brighter than either of my Q3's and the P1 hotspot is a little tighter but the spill is a little bigger. I have an exceptional L2P that's just slightly dimmer, so I've resisted getting an L1T or L2T and can't give a comparison to the P1 with those.

malcontent

Newly Enlightened
RebelXTNC said:
I did have to pull the foam ring out of the bottom. There was no way it was going to light with Surefire cells and that thick of a foam ring. I put a small amount of tape around the battery to reduce the rattle.

I had the same issue. Get with 4sevens and I am sure he will send you a new styled foam spacer that works just fine with the SF battery.

carrot

Flashaholic
lightrod said:
So there's your next airtight excuse: invest in the FF3 to keep you from endlessly buying other lights.
You know, this was my excuse to buy the A2 -- it's so versatile you don't *really* need other lights when you've got it... but I ended up buying dozens of cheaper ones anyway. /me glances at the six Streamlight Stylii (Styluses?) on his desk.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would have been nice if they had fitted a spring inside the P1.

on the bottom of the battery holder like they did on the LOP.

because my batterystation cells don't half rattle.

anyway the P1 is much brighter running on protected RC123, and their a tight fit.

I love the build quality otherwise.

regards.

lightwolf

Newly Enlightened
Hello Nascar,

again an excellent and very informal thread of you. Thanks!

An argument more for this, that the Fenix P1 is a real bargain buy.

Plan you one idled with the new R123 with safe chemistry of AW?
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=125353

I am sure that I am not the only one who is interested at it.
Cells are already bought. Unfortunately, I do not have any possibility for measuring.

europium

Enlightened
this_is_nascar said:

Update #5: I'm now in the possesion of (4) P1's. Three of the are original/stock units and the the other has been modded with a U-Binned emitter. I thought I'd share the runtimes....

P1b.JPG
Great info. Thanks for the time and effort, TIN. :goodjob:

Would love to see the output/runtime of the UWAJ-modded P1 running an R123. :naughty::drool::whistle:

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm curious about the relatively dramatic difference in runtime with the UWAJ.
Haven't seen such a difference between different Vf emitters before, and it has me wondering how that will affect mine if I drop a UXOK in there. Also about how low the Vf is on the stock emitters(haven't had mine apart to check), especially since I'm using rechargeables with the stock light now, and would prefer not to fry it putting it in direct drive with them, since the emitter swap is still a "maybe".

.02 on my P1:
My P1 started out being used to burn up old 123s, and being carried in conjunction with my EDC Aleph2. Right now the P1 is pretty much all I'm using, and is getting fed with R123s. From day one, it's been carried in the same pocket with my keys, and has been dropped a few times-not a mark on it, literally looks brand new. It loses out in comparison with my Aleph2 with BB750/TYOK with both on R123s, as the A2 has both brighter spot and spill. Spot is about the same size for both lights. The P1 is bright enough that I think the only thing really missing from a practical standpoint is the low beam, though. Color-wise, my P1 is definitely a YO, which is ok with me, but I'd prefer a XO or WO for what I use this light for.
I have no quality complaints. Threads are fine, finish is great, beam is great, runtime great. I like the fact I've got a split ring and lanyard on there, but can still use the light in "candle" mode, which I can't do with my Aleph. There was a little battery rattle, but a foam corn pad eliminated that.
I loved and for a time EDC'd an Arc LS with twisty, but like the P1 more, since it's better in almost every way.

phatalbert

Enlightened
Hey TiN, a thousand thanks for the amazingly comprehensive collection of graphs! :thumbsup:

I know I sent you a PM regarding this earlier but I'm still a little confused... in they key on the first graph it appears that one light is using a "1xSF" (surefire batt) and a "1xE2" (which I would assume means one energizer e2) but in our PM I thought I understood you saying that you did not use E2's. Is this just a lower output P1 with a SF batt.

Thanks again for the clarification! :)

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
In the CR123 configuration, I rarely use the Energizer E2 cells. With lights that impress me, if I have them lying around I'll include them in the test. That's what I did here. For normal powering of CR123 based lights, I use the SufeFire brand. With the AA or AAA configuration, however, I only use Energizer E2 lithium cells.