CRV3 Lithium 3v battery dividing.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast

vortechs

Enlightened
I will be interested in seeing the answers to this too. I am also planning on trying to get some 3V primary AA cells in this manner.
:popcorn:

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Careful with the Energizer CRV3 packs. The ones made in the USA are 2) 1.5V cells in series! The Energizer CRV3 packs made in Japan are 2) 3V cells in parallel. Everybody elses are 3V cells in parallel. That info is 3 years old. (a wonder I can remember it at all. :green: ) It's not very difficult to take them apart, but the only way you will know if they will work in your light is to try it.

Larry

vortechs

Enlightened
tvodrd said:
Careful with the Energizer CRV3 packs. The ones made in the USA are 2) 1.5V cells in series! The Energizer CRV3 packs made in Japan are 2) 3V cells in parallel. Everybody elses are 3V cells in parallel. That info is 3 years old. (a wonder I can remember it at all. :green: ) It's not very difficult to take them apart, but the only way you will know if they will work in your light is to try it.

Larry

I've read on CPF that if you look in the holes at the end on an Energizer CR-V3 (where the battery contacts are), you can tell the version with two 1.5V cells because it will have a positive nipple on one side.

See this thread:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=116259

Randy Shackleford

Enlightened
I just got some energizers in the US and they were two 3V's in parallel.

Also, anyone have experience with a rechargable CRV3?
What is the configuration?

Last edited:

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Randy, did it say on the packaging where they were manufactured? There were a couple threads on this abt 3 years ago and I went out and bought a USA mfg'd pack. It was definately 2 seriesed 1.5Vs.

Larry

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
All the Energizer Lithium CRV3's I've got (5 packs so far) have been 2 parallel 3 volt cells and the package and battery say "Made in China".

I only buy these to use in the Jil 1.3 (UP) with the cab AA sized battery tube since the (UP) model can't be used with 14500 Rechargeable 3.7v cells do to the higher voltage.

Randy Shackleford

Enlightened
tvodrd said:
Randy, did it say on the packaging where they were manufactured? There were a couple threads on this abt 3 years ago and I went out and bought a USA mfg'd pack. It was definately 2 seriesed 1.5Vs.

Larry

Made in China.

Anyone have experience with a rechargable CRV3?

Last edited:

vortechs

Enlightened
Morelite said:
All the Energizer Lithium CRV3's I've got (5 packs so far) have been 2 parallel 3 volt cells and the package and battery say "Made in China".

I only buy these to use in the Jil 1.3 (UP) with the cab AA sized battery tube since the (UP) model can't be used with 14500 Rechargeable 3.7v cells do to the higher voltage.

Well, technically the JIL 1.3W model (with the micropuck converter) is what can't be used with 14500 Li-Ion 3.7V cells. The (Up) just means it got the UCL lens at the factory (and maybe an improved reflector, I'm not sure exactly what was in the "Up" upgrade package). Please visit the JIL-CR2 info thread (https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/116901 ) and make a post over there about breaking up CR-V3's to get 3V AA cells to use with the JIL 1.3W head on a JIL-Cab body. I speculated about that combo in post #4 so I'm glad to hear it works well. I'm trying to consolodate info about the JIL series in one spot so new people can find it. Thanks.

vortechs

Enlightened
tvodrd said:

Larry

I've heard that the Energizer CR-V3 batteries vary, some have two 1.5V Engergizer AA lithium cells in series and some have two 3V AA lithium cells in parallel. I guess this thead proves that's true. It would be good to know a way to tell the difference for certain. The only thing I have heard so far is looking at the battery contacts for a positive nipple (indicates the 1.5V cell version), but I don't have any personal experience yet. I am planning to get some inexpensive CRV3 batteries on eBay to take apart, so any info I get here will be very timely.

Walt175

Enlightened
The whole Energizer situation is so confusing I bought Duracell instead. :grin2:

I split one open and use it in my Jetbeam. After 3 weeks of intermittant use, I'm still on my first cell. It works great, but I'm not sure of the long term cost effectivness. However, I picked up 2 2 packs of Duracell CRV3's for $15 plus shipping on Ebay. It works out to approx 2.50 per cell.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Easy to split.

Tried in my Ultrafire 602 (L1P==)

I've just tried 3v 14500 Lithium from CRV3, increase in brightness by 2.5 stops

ie 5 times as bright.

Up from 5,000 lux to 25,000 lux

This measures brighter than a standard L1P, L2P, Ultrafire 601 with nimh or alkalines.

Similar currrent, 1.82a, with nimh 1.51a, alkaline 1.30a

ie 3v Lithium=1,820ma, nimh=1,510ma, alkaline=1,300ma

Update:
602 plus 3v Lithium, high output, after 5 minutes, gets hot, then dims.

After rest period, high output again.

Same again.

Looks like 1.5Ah battery cannot cope with 1.8A current drain.

Volts drop to 2.85v when hot.

Last edited:

vortechs

Enlightened
Does anybody have any additional information to add about splitting up CRV3 batteries to get two 3V AA cells?

I will be getting some CRV3 batteries sometime soon, so I should be able to report on my experience in splitting them.

Walt175

Enlightened
Very easy, and they work great! I have only used them in mt Jet-1. The positive nipple is shorter then a regular AA so you might have contact problems like most Li-ion's have.

vortechs

Enlightened
Walt175 said:
Very easy, and they work great! I have only used them in mt Jet-1. The positive nipple is shorter then a regular AA so you might have contact problems like most Li-ion's have.

I imagine that contact isn't a problem in the Jet-I since there is a spring at each end of the battery tube. I guess that feature is good for something in addition to being able to use AAA cells in the AA tube.

When I get the CRV3 batteries I ordered, I'll certainly try a 3V AA cell in my Jet-I.

Has anyone tried a 3V AA cell in the Triton P1?

thezman

Enlightened
vortechs said:

I never did, but if you're going to try it, I'll buy what's left of your Triton P1. :devil:

Walt175

Enlightened
I only half-heartedly tried them in my Triton. It didn't make contact, and I didn't want to risk burning out anything, so I didn't go any farther.
I also tried it with my L2P with 1 AA body, and it didn't make contact.

vortechs said:
I imagine that contact isn't a problem in the Jet-I since there is a spring at each end of the battery tube. I guess that feature is good for something in addition to being able to use AAA cells in the AA tube.

When I get the CRV3 batteries I ordered, I'll certainly try a 3V AA cell in my Jet-I.

Markcm

Newly Enlightened
What is the advantage of splitting a CRV3 when you can buy a lithium primary AA battery individually?

They are readily available now at 2900mAh; the static unloaded voltage is ~1.75 per cell (maybe this is too high?) Nominal voltage is 1.5v. They are very light weight and last longer than other AA's.

Primary Lithium AAA are available at 1100mAh now too.

I have some at e-lectronics.net and you can find them at Batteryspace

-Markcm

vortechs

Enlightened
Markcm said:
What is the advantage of splitting a CRV3 when you can buy a lithium primary AA battery individually?

They are readily available now at 2900mAh; the static unloaded voltage is ~1.75 per cell (maybe this is too high?) Nominal voltage is 1.5v. They are very light weight and last longer than other AA's.

Primary Lithium AAA are available at 1100mAh now too.

I have some at e-lectronics.net and you can find them at Batteryspace

-Markcm

Hi Markcm,

The advantage of splitting a CRV3 battery is that you get two 3V AA-sized lithimum primary cells, whereas the primary lithium AA cells you are referring to are 1.5V cells. The 3V AA cell is very useful for applications that have a 1AA size battery tube but need 3V to operate, such as a 1AA sized cutdown MiniMiniMag or the JIL-CR2 with a JIL-Cab 1AA body. I hope that explains the interest in 3V AA cells.