The A2 stinks.

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, I just got the A2. I resisted forever and ever. It just never looked like a light that had a purpose. Feeble incan. Feeble LEDs. Then I saw JS's review on the A2. The best review I've ever seen and written by the hot wire guru himself. JS is waaaaay smarter than me. Taller and better looking, too. Then I saw wise carrot-like people rave and put the A2 in their signature lines. How could I not try this light?

So now, after trying it, I don't get it. This is a crummy light. Feeble incan beam. Hot wire my foot. This is a warm wire. My U2 out throws it while providing a LOT more flood. My VIP750 TXOH LuxIII in a Mag2C just flat out blows it away for throw. Not even close. Mike Tyson v. Captain Kangaroo on a bad day.

The "white" LEDs have this weird blue-tint hot spot. What's with that? Makes everything look like grandma's hair.

And, to top it off, this sucker is another %#@*! twistie. I hate twisties! This is 2006, people. We landed on the moon in, what, 1969? The twistie was the second invention after the wheel. We had twisties before we had fire. This is dumb.

My U2 is way brighter on high, better in both flood and throw. It's slightly brighter on low. It can run rechargeables, including an 18650, which I have in it. It has an adjustable beam. It has a clicky. It's a giant among lights.

I don't get the A2. The only thing it excels at is lighting up brown things, like stumps and moose muffins. Not enough of an advantage for me.

Mine's going up for sale.

You A2 guys must be smoking something besides batteries.

Josey

InfidelCastro

Banned
I think it's an interesting light, but I would not pay as much as they're asking for one.

And I think Surefire really needs to upgrade the 5mm LED's in it.

Mad1

Enlightened
Nice rant. :lolsign:

Not having an A2 or a U2 myself i cant agree with you.

But what i can agree with you on is the twisties. I also detest them what is the point? Surefire are meant to be tactical lights?

I find it quite hard to turn my L1 onto bright via twisting. Surely it would be faster to click for low then click for high.

</rant>

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Josey said:
So now, after trying it, I don't get it. This is a crummy light. Feeble incan beam. Hot wire my foot. This is a warm wire. My U2 out throws it while providing a LOT more flood. My VIP750 TXOH LuxIII in a Mag2C just flat out blows it away for throw. Not even close. Mike Tyson v. Captain Kangaroo on a bad day.

well, looks like you didn't like the light.

If the light wasn't white, call Surefire and have them take a look at it. crap happens.

2nd, when was last time you put a mag 2C in your pocket? you have to realize the limitation of physical dimensions of refletors and not comapre orange to apples in pure throw department.

Last edited:

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'd better run for the hills when "carrot" sees this thread.

On the other hand, have you checked to make sure that the contacts are clean? Maybe the light fell out of regulation. Or...are you using fresh batteries?

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmm... you don't really understand the A2 huh?

it was design FOR aviation purposes NOT for brightness.
incan for checking the plane's exterior and the leds to use inside so that night vision won't be affected.
brightness is NOT really a thing for both of this.

the incan is regulated!!

it has a rating of 50 lumens while the U2 has at least 80(on lvl 6) so of course it wins..
the VIP with the T bin also has a higher lumen rating.

what the hell is wrong with twisty? do you have the l2? the L1? the fenix p1? the fenix E1? so other surefire lights which uses the twisty?

but hey, those are tactical tailswitch!!! it can be for momentary action and twist all the way of constant on and lock-out. The A2 having 2 different modes of course needs the tailcap designed like that.

the U2 is a totally different design anyway...

you want a U2 switch for the A2? you should see how much it is going to cost to scrape a design for a new one...

nzgunnie

Enlightened
Good for you, telling it like it is.

I got mine for a pretty good price, but have never been really happy with it. Now it is playing up, the incan only coming on at half power sometimes, even with fresh SF batteries.

I find the incan is bright enough (when it's working), but those horrible blue LEDs are a real dissapointment in such a pricy light. No matter how well made it is, those LEDs just let the whole thing down.

It's a handy light, but not for the price SF want for it.

Scottiver

Enlightened
When I first got my A2 it was my first incandescent and I thought pretty much the same things that you do, but after a while I really fell in love with it.
Going from using an LED flashlight all the time to using an incandescent and seeing the "yellow" beam can be a little disconcerting at first because they are so different. But once you get used to the idea, it's a beautiful thing.
The LED's in the A2 are designed to be dim so that you don't ruin your night vision in the cockpit. But I find it a very good level of brightness for anything 10 ft and closer.
And as far as the twistie goes, I wasn't too thrilled with it either, but I use the momentary on button 90% of the time anyway so it doesn't really matter.All Surefires with a two stage brightness use a twistie.
So I say give the ole A2 a chance and use it for a couple of weeks and see if it doesn't grow on you. It grew on me and now I never leave the house at night without it.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mad1 said:
Surely it would be faster to click for low then click for high.
Ew! Clicking through modes makes me want to pull my eyes out. But to each his own. Just don't ask that it be reverse clicky.:lolsign:
I think the operation of the A2, L1, and L2 switch is divine inspiration. Using those lights is such a pleasure because whatever level you want is instantly available and intuitive one handed, one press.
Eating dinner in camp by the LEDs when a bear breaks out of the trees? Instant hi power light without a thought, just a squeeze - what you want and would do under stress anyway.
If I need it on for a while longer, a twist is slightly more effort, but not much. Simple, elegant, and makes lockout simple and intuitive as well.
The incan certainly is not perfect.. mostly, I believe because of the holes in the reflector, but it is regulated and will be brighter than many "brighter" incans when the batteries are even 1/3 depleted. The A2 maintains brightness.
And I have found that if I rotate the LA in the bezel, the beam can often be improved. I had to try several different times, but I now have an 'almost' round hot spot with more throw than the long oval I started with.
That said, I would not have bought one had it been more than ~$100 - I got mine used, but it was well worth the money.

marxs

Enlightened
Blindasabat said:
- what you want and would do under stress anyway.
I would've asked the bear for a beer but thats just me :naughty:

Blindasabat said:
And I have found that if I rotate the LA in the bezel, the beam can often be improved. I had to try several different times, but I now have an 'almost' round hot spot with more throw than the long oval I started with.
you wouldnt happen to have beamshots would you? i was under the impression that in order to have the farthest throw the hotspot would need to be oval like?

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Josey,

I have to agree with you somewhat that the hype the A2 has received in recent months makes it very hard for it to live up to. But, it makes a big difference what light you are comparing it with and what conditions you are using it. I think most of the praise given for the A2 is within context, and maybe that should be factored into this discussion. Comparing the A2 to a G2, E2e, L2 or Streamlight TT 2L will quickly help one to appreciate its qualities. And the praise is usually for how it performs outdoors, being a quality incandescent, as compared to LED. Many others have posted how they like the A2 over their 5W lights outdoors, though not everyone. Likewise there is the form factor, the A2 is very pocketable, whereas most other lights about the size of the minimag just don't compare with the A2's features.

In conclusion, I feel bad that your expectations are perhaps a victim of hype, but your experience may be a good balance to the A2 chorus. It is a good light and definately one that tends to grow on you the more you use it. If you do decide to sell it, I'm sure you'll have no problem finding a buyer! :)

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
marxs said:
I would've asked the bear for a beer but thats just me :naughty:
:ohgeez:Why didn't I think of that?

marxs said:
you wouldnt happen to have beamshots would you? i was under the impression that in order to have the farthest throw the hotspot would need to be oval like?
I don't have any comparative beamshots, nor any way to measure the light intensity, it just follows that if the beam is more concentrated, it must throw better. It appears to.
My beam is still oval, just less oval. But my old beam was maybe 3-4 times as long as it was wide, now it is only about twice as long as it is wide. And the width has not changed much, so it is more concentrated.
I know it has to be oval to some extent because it is a straight hot wire in the lamp.

JimmyB

Enlightened
I really appreciate the twisty style switch on the A2, L2, ect. I can lockout the high portion of the beam so that only the low is available. This comes in handy when I've got night adapted vision and an inadvertent blast on high can destroy that quickly.

I can understand where you're coming from with your comments, although calling it a crummy light sounds a bit extreme. Like all lights, some fit your needs better than others. Sounds like the A2 doesn't meet yours at all while the U2 works well for you.

Like others said, you shouldn't have too much trouble selling it.

cy

Flashaholic
thanks for the tip... just rotated lamp in my A2. performance hugely improved, not just beam shape.

maybe it's my imagination, but A2 now seems to put out more lumens after rotating lamp. possibly hotwire is lined up better against leds in reflector?

FYI... I really like my A2 and I've been using 2x R123 li-ion for sometime with no problems.

LOTC tailcap are safer than clickies. much harder to leave on accidently. expecially when seeing more reports of multi-cell primary lithium batteries failures.

Blindasabat said:
I have found that if I rotate the LA in the bezel, the beam can often be improved. I had to try several different times, but I now have an 'almost' round hot spot with more throw than the long oval I started with.

marxs

Enlightened
you just moved the ma02 around right? hmm...let me play with it and see if i can get a better hotspot...

dragoman

Enlightened
To each his own........if you are selling yours for a good price I'll buy it. PM me.

dragoman

Mark2

Enlightened
Twisties have one MAJOR advantage: they're very reliable and robust. Thus, in a light like the SF M2, a twisty still makes sense IMHO.

Maximum

Enlightened
cy said:
thanks for the tip... just rotated lamp in my A2. performance hugely improved, not just beam shape.

maybe it's my imagination, but A2 now seems to put out more lumens after rotating lamp. possibly hotwire is lined up better against leds in reflector?

FYI... I really like my A2 and I've been using 2x R123 li-ion for sometime with no problems.

LOTC tailcap are safer than clickies. much harder to leave on accidently. expecially when seeing more reports of multi-cell primary lithium batteries failures.

Can you tell me where can I buy these R123 Li-Ion?
Thanks