12V LED lamps in a 6V system

joraff

Newly Enlightened
I'm currently trying to retrofit a 1985 Suzuki scooter (awesome) with all-LED lighting. While I didn't think this would be a hard project when I made the decision, I'm now finding that drop-in 6 volt lamps are hard to come by.

I'm no master of electronics, but if there were a way to use 12/14V lamps in a 6V electrical system I'll be good to go. Maybe via step up transformers in series right before each lamp (yeah right!).

Right now, I could use 12V lamps have just have reduced output, correct?

Let me know if it would be best to test out my creativity and attempt to create my own 6V bulbs.

joraff

Newly Enlightened
Poking around in some other forums just a few minutes ago, I've discovered a step up circuit. I'm still trying to find a circuit that is applicable, however. Any help would be appreciated!

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Googling "6v LED bulbs" returned pages of results. I've heard good things about Ledtronics and Superbrightleds, both of which appear in the first page of results. Good luck, and welcome to CPF!

:buddies:

joraff

Newly Enlightened
I was considering purchasing some narrow and wide beam red LEDs from superbrightleds and creating a taillight/brakelight array, with one or two small white LEDs pointed downwards to illuminate the license plate. If I do it myself I can use ohm's law to make them work in my low current 6V system :)

To be DOT legal does the taillight have to have a red reflector? If so I'll probably just go get a large red reflector and drill holes to recess the LEDs

frenzee

Enlightened
I was considering purchasing some narrow and wide beam red LEDs from superbrightleds and creating a taillight/brakelight array, with one or two small white LEDs pointed downwards to illuminate the license plate. If I do it myself I can use ohm's law to make them work in my low current 6V system :)

To be DOT legal does the taillight have to have a red reflector? If so I'll probably just go get a large red reflector and drill holes to recess the LEDs

FYI, single-emitter versions like this one:

http://ѕupеrlumіnаtion.com/іmаgеѕ/аuto_bulbѕ/7443_3w_а_wm.jpg

have a buck converter and will work from 4.5V on up to 20V+ with consistent light output, so you don't really need a boost circuit to use it in a a 6V system.. The multi-emitter versions will need at least 12V.

Last edited by a moderator: