Run-Time Plot - Mini Mag LED 2xAA & 3xAA

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
These runtime plots are for the Mini Mag LED light using 2 and 3 AA batteries.

Equipment used is a Extech Mdl 401021 Light Adapter into a Radio Shack 22-805 multimeter with a PC interface that is using Scopeview software (V 1.08).

The vertical axis is in VDC and is equivalent to 1Fc@1Ft per 1 mVDC. The horizontal axas is in units of time.

Be aware that your actual battery milage may vary from that indicated by this runtime plot.

For the 2xAA Mini Mag LED the Runtime = 3h 45m
mmledaaa.jpg

For the 3xAA Mini Mag LED the Runtime = 2h 52m
mmled3a.jpg

2xAA Mini Mag LED using Energizer Lithium batteries
Runtime to 50% Max brightness = 6h
mmledaal.jpg

3xAA Mini Mag LED using Energizer Lithium batteries
Runtime to 50% Max Brightness = 4h 46m
mmled3l.jpg

Last edited:

clipse

Enlightened
I'm not seeing anything. The URL doesn't work either.

Am I the only one that doesn't see it?

clipse

Last edited:

clipse

Enlightened
There it is. Awesome. Runtime on the 2xAA looks about what I figured. I got 4 1/2 hours but no biggie. I'm suprised about the 3xAA. Looks like no regulation at all. Strange.

Thanks Roy. That answers some questions that I had.

clipse

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Roy, thanks for the graphs!

The 2xAA looks like a simple boost circuit.

Wow, pretty poor regulation for the 3xAAA model. Looks like resistored "regulation". Even a simple LDO regulator would have been a great improvement on this one.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am also surprised about the run times of the 3AA.

Thanks Roy!

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I measured a couple of things on the 3AA today. Between the + input on the module and the + terminal on the LED, there is zero resistance. But I get no reading between the LED - and ground, which seems to indicate that there is some sort of circuitry in there, even if the graph doesn't look like it.

I also started a runtime measurement today on the 3AA, starting with nearly depleted alkaline batteries measuring 1v. each. The light has been running for six hours now and it's still producing enough light to navigate in a dark room or to read a map or newspaper. The batteries measure .9v. each at this point, and I'd judge the output to be around 1 lumen.

If Roy's runtime graphs were to be superimposed, it would show that the 3AA starts out at almost twice the level of the 2AA and stays well above the level of the 2AA at all times. It doesn't reach the 2AA's starting brightness until 2 1/2 hours into the test and takes another 2 1/2 hours to reach the 2AA's cutoff level, five hours total compared with the 2AA's 4 hours. The 3AA also has a long tail of usable light, which the 2AA doesn't have. The 3AA is a much better performer.

Last edited:

Roy

Added a runtime plot for the 2xAA Mini Mag LED using the Energizer lithium batteries.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Roy. You confirmed my suspicion about the 3AA. The 2AA was already revealed to use the old Zetex circuit that we CPF'ers have been playing with 5 or 6 years ago.

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
CM said:
Thanks Roy. You confirmed my suspicion about the 3AA. The 2AA was already revealed to use the old Zetex circuit that we CPF'ers have been playing with 5 or 6 years ago.

CM, do you have the link about the Zetex in the 2AA? Thanks,

Paul

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the fact that Lithium batteries turn an unregulated light into one that sure LOOKS like it is regulated.

Plus double+ runtime.

I'm always looking for sales on AAA/AA Lithiums.

Raven

Enlightened
Is it just me, or is the 3aa's regulation a disappointment?

Last edited:

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Raven said:
Is it just me, or does the 3aa a disappointment?

It's not you. I quote:

"Now, after years of research & development, testing and refinement, Mag Instrument is committed to introducing, in early 2006, a line of MAG-LED™ flashlights."

So the best they have is what appears to be resistor drive (or it might as well be) on the 3AA, and a circuit that appeared on Zetex's data sheet five years ago. However, it is good that Mag finally came out to introduce high brightness LED's to the general masses. That part is good.

mchlwise

Enlightened
nikon said:
If Roy's runtime graphs were to be superimposed, it would show that the 3AA starts out at almost twice the level of the 2AA and stays well above the level of the 2AA at all times. It doesn't reach the 2AA's starting brightness until 2 1/2 hours into the test and takes another 2 1/2 hours to reach the 2AA's cutoff level, five hours total compared with the 2AA's 4 hours. The 3AA also has a long tail of usable light, which the 2AA doesn't have. The 3AA is a much better performer.

Thanks for putting it in perspective. Helps a lot!

I'm still disappointed the 3AA doesn't have a flatter curve, but that still helps.

:grin2:

Bmccue1964

Newly Enlightened
I just bought the 2AA version. I can't wait to try it out. My thought was that the 3AA version looked ergonomically terrible - too long. However, it reminded me of a marshal arts weapon I trained with.

Roy

Added a runtime plot for the 3xAA Mini Mag LED using Energizer Lithium batteries. Notice that while the 2xAA has a longer runtime (6h), the 3xAA has a shorter runtime (4h 46m) but chugs along at about TWICE the output of the 2xAA.!

Last edited:

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow. The 2AA not only has longer runtime on lithiums, but is significantly brighter all the way, not to mention the flatter output curve. I'm loading lithiums in mine!