Yoho -122 charger

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
After reading pros and cons of some 18650 chargers...I decided to try the yoho charger from E-electronics.net. Hey, this is a great unit! It charges 18650,17650,and18500 sizes It does not charge the 123a various batteries.

The charger charges at 1 amp instead of 350 ma like some others. It has independent circuits..so you can even charge different batteries at the same time. ( 2 batteries) Seems well made..has some weight to it.

THe price was $16.00 - the instructions say only to charge protected batteries.

My huntlight on the 18650 seems as bright to the eye as (2) primaries...
My 9 volt wolf eyes is excellent on the 2 18500...instead of 3 primaries. So far I love it.

I'm updating this on 5/09. Still using this charger...it's a great unit, and has no problem with unprotected batteries. Charges to 4:19 most times.

Last edited:

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
At 1A, it would be too high of a rate for a RCR123. If it requires a protected cell, it means that it depends on the cell's high voltage protection to terminate the charge or it's a "dumb" charger. Make sure the cells that you charge are protected for that!

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any recent input on this charger? I discovered it based on a post by Bullzeyebill.

I know there are some people here that use/used this charger, but it doesn't seem to be mentioned much based on a Google search.

The specs seem to indicate it follows the preferred Li-Ion charging guidelines.

CC/CV, peak current: 1A per channel (2A total)
4.2v termination (+/- .1v)

It's no good for 16340 cells due to the 1A charge rate, but seems like it might be a better option for larger cells than the much maligned WF-139.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
The directive to only charge protected cells bothers the heck out of me. If the manufacturer was confident the product worked correctly, why would they insert that into the product manual?

rantanplan

Newly Enlightened
I´m using a Yoho 122 for almost 2(?) years now ... and never got disappointed. 18650s come out with 4.17-4.18V, which is a perfect value for me. It uses a true CC/CV charging method ... unlike the crappy "piece of electronic waste" Ultrafire WF-139.

The Yoho 122 can charge any LiIon-cell (protected or not), which can stand 1A charging ... and fits into the charger ;)

If the Yoho had a 12V input, then it would be the perfect charger (for 18650), imho.

Guess there isn´t much talking about this charger because its only available at e-lectronics.net. Can´t remember of having it seen somewhere else ...

Bones

Enlightened
can you link it pls?
cant find it there

The 'Dual Pocket' charger towards the bottom of this page appears to be the Yoho 122, but BatteryStation.com doesn't provide any useful information towards confirming this:

http://www.batterystation.com/cpf7.htm

If it is the Yoho, it's currently a good deal at 9.00 for forum members. Regrettably, it also appears that it's being phased out.

E-Lectronics.net has it priced at 12.49, which still seems pretty reasonable:

http://www.e-lectronics.net/charger-liion.html

Finally, for those who have too much money, it can be had for 76.80 at both Amazon.com and TheFlashlightDepot.com:

http://www.theflashlightdepot.com ... Charger

http://www.amazon.com ... B001QKEZFE

cjs4760

Newly Enlightened
The 'Dual Pocket' charger towards the bottom of this page appears to be the Yoho 122, but BatteryStation.com doesn't provide any useful information towards confirming this:

http://www.batterystation.com/cpf7.htm

If it is the Yoho, it's currently a good deal at 9.00 for forum members. Regrettably, it also appears that it's being phased out..

Just confirming that it is indeed the YOHO-122. I ordered it, and now have it in hand. Sticker on bottom says:

Input: AC 100-240V
Output: DC 5V 1A

Characteristics:
1. Suitable for 18650 Or 17500 Li-ion battery
2. Charge with constant current and constant voltage.

--
There are also Operating Instructions on the bottom sticker. It says "intended for use with Li-ion battery only." It does not say anything about (only) using protected cells.

I got no other instructions with it.

Now, just waiting for my AW 18650s to arrive :mecry:

-Chris

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got my Yoho-122 in the mail today.

I've already topped up one of my AW 17670s and it reads 4.14v.

Currently have another AW 17670 and an AW 18650 being topped up.

mdocod

Flashaholic
Take the DMM and cram the test leads on both ends of the cell during charging and watch what happen DURING charging.

Then use an external cradle and some test leads and stuff and rig up a way to test the current flowing and watch it through the charge.

Why should we believe anything they claim about these chargers? The WF-139 has been touted as being "CC/CV" by some dealers through the years, the new soshine chargers claim the same and are not, even have a nice fake UL listing on the back.

When there is very little to no jurisdiction to control these products out of china, there is no reason for them not to lie because they know they can sell thousands of units to unsuspecting consumers. Out of 6 billion people on earth it'll be like me 2 other guys on earth (one of them probably luxluthor) asking the questions and mongering up some fear, lol...

cell voltage after everything is said and done is only half the story.

Last edited:

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
All I know is that Bullzeyebill is very fond of this charger and has been using it for a few years now.

About all I can say at the moment (since I am at work) is that is has an open circuit voltage of 0.6v.

I can put a DMM on it while charging and see where it peaks, etc.

No clue how to do the cradle thing.

I tried to measure the mA flowing the other night and either the charger or the DMM started squeeling.

Last edited:

rkJr

Enlightened
just ordered two, one to keep at home and one to take on trips.... looking forward to it.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take the DMM and cram the test leads on both ends of the cell during charging and watch what happen DURING charging.
OK. I placed an AW 17670 cell that read 4.11v in the charger.

Put the DMM leads on the charge terminals.

Readings started at 4.18v.
Voltage increased to 4.19, 4.20, and briefly to 4.21v before dropping back to 4.20, then slowly to 4.19, 4.18v and finally 4.17v.

Charge terminated, cell reads 4.16v right off the charger.

Last edited:

mdocod

Flashaholic
Thank You Black Rose!

That's a big chunk of it right there. If we can determine that there isn't any trickle after termination I think we can label this a good charger officially....

I'm ordering one, can't resist for $9. I'm a sucker for cheap stuff that's potentially really good...

Last edited:

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
When the charge terminated I left the leads on the charge terminals and it still read 4.17v.

What I don't know is if that was the cell voltage being read from the charge terminals or if a small current was still being applied.
Given that there was only 0.01v difference between the reading in the charger and the reading directly from the cell when pulled from the charger, I'm leaning towards cell voltage being picked up from the charge terminals.

The open circuit voltage with no cell in the charger was a measly 0.55v.

EDIT: I have not been successful in trying to read the mA being applied by the charger.
Whenever I attach the DMM leads to get a reading, the charger makes a buzzer-like sound.
I may try my other DMM and see if it also does it, although I was using the more accurate of my DMMs for the tests I have done so far.
EDIT 2: My other DMM causes the same noise to be emitted from the charger :thinking:

Last edited: