P60 A2 G90 P91 SL PP 4AA L2 - Deep woods beamshots

EV_007

Enlightened
These are some beamshots recently taken in the deep dark woods along an old logging road that I like to hike. No ambient light visible and very little light pollution in the sky.

SF_FAMILY_SHOT.jpg

The participants.

My girlfriend was teasing me and chanting: "If you were lost and alone in the woods, which flashlight would you want in your pocket?"

__G2_A2_G90_P91_PP_L2_beams-1.jpg

Distance to edge of road uphill around 40 feet.

__G2_A2_G90_P91_PP_L2_beam.jpg

Hotspot center of image - Zoomed
__G2_A2_G90_P91_PP_L2_ZOOM.jpg

Distance to far trees around 100 feet.

a__G2_A2_G90_P91_PP_L2_be_.jpg

Distance to hotspot lit area around 35 feet or so. Just within striking distance of the floody L2.

aa_SureFire_size_chart.jpg

Here's a quick chart of the SureFire lights in standard configurations mentioned in this write up.

The tiny A2-GN really surprised me.
The G2 with P60 was no slouch either.
The G90 packs quite a punch. (Now if I can only get my hands on the HP version…)
The legendary flood of the L2 illuminated the foreground quite evenly.
The 9P with the P91 turned night into day.
The SL PP 4AA does throw well for an LED.[font=&quot]

a_Coleman_vs_P91.jpg

This is a 1 Million CP spotlight against the P91 just for fun. I think the spotlight throws a bit further, but the overall "wall of light" goes to the SF P91.

All lights, except for the P60 LA, ran on RECHARGEABLE guilt-free for me.
[/font]

Last edited:

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hurrray, love the p91 shot! What were you running the G90 in and what kind of cells did you use to power it?

EV_007

Enlightened
The white LEDs also show a slight purplish tint when the incan is on as well

G&P G90 Lamp + DSD R123 800 mAh kit from Lighthound in a Z2.

BBL

Enlightened
Is the G90 really so much brighter than the P60 as it seems in the pictures?

EV_007

Enlightened
BBL said:
Is the G90 really so much brighter than the P60 as it seems in the pictures?

Yup, it has a whiter appearing light.

P60 has a bit more even beam pattern whereas the G90 is more spotty and not as smooth to my eyes.

P60 = 65 lumens
G90 = 105 lumens

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The A2 Rocks. Almost like it is between an incan and an LED. The A2-RD or A2-WH probably have the best resulting color.

Oh, and the P91 is killer. I'd have to get one if I didn't have a 3xRCR123 ROP. Though I'm now tempted to get a P61 for a smaller cheap handful of light in my Brinkmann Maxfire LX.

waterboiler

Newly Enlightened
Great work EV_007, your results parallel my findings last summer.

On two separate trips to the 'woods' I found that the A2 was a really good choice. I played on a tight trail with the A2, L2 and a TL-3 and found that the L2 had too much glare from the underbrush - great up close but not the best to navigate with. The TL-3 was all about distance and too focused for effective foot travel with a lot of 'bouncing ball' effects. The A2 on the other hand was great, the LEDs were more than adequate to follow the trail and the incan just a push away for longer distance spotting.

On my second outing the L2 came to life because the trail was much more open and I had less reflection. The L2 was my first choice with the A2 or G2 close behind. Once again the throw from the TL-3 was only useful for longer distance spotting not trail following.

I suspect your L2 pics are on high - wonder how it would do on low but I guess that is not the point :)

My first choice for a 'walk in the dark woods light' is the A2 with a G2 or L2 as backup - in case the bulb goes south. The P91 looks interesting but the battery life would keep me away - maybe a good backup spotting light for the L2.
Once again great photos - thanks for the effort.:goodjob:

Max Brightness

Enlightened
Great pictures.

I generally carry my A2 as my main light and the L2 for my wooded path walks.

One thing I really like with the A2 that you can't tell from the pictures is the amount of spill. The A2 has a great balanced beam with a fairly bright spill right down in front of my feet allowing for easier walking on trails with rocks and holes.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
GREAT PHOTO'S!!!
The pictures tell the story!

I have found the P91 to be awesome. I have a dedicated 2x18650 tube setup for it.
The hotspot and enormous spill is quite addicting.
However, It is not a light that you can leave on and hike with for any length of time. It will become so hot you cannot hold it! I even have the M2 head on mine to help dissipate heat. The last time I had mine on continuously, within 20 minutes it was so hot you could barely hold it with a bare hand; head and tube. I would recommend the P90 if with rechargables if you wanted it on continuous.

EV_007

Enlightened
waterboiler said:
Great work EV_007, your results parallel my findings last summer.

On two separate trips to the 'woods' I found that the A2 was a really good choice. I played on a tight trail with the A2, L2 and a TL-3 and found that the L2 had too much glare from the underbrush - great up close but not the best to navigate with. The TL-3 was all about distance and too focused for effective foot travel with a lot of 'bouncing ball' effects. The A2 on the other hand was great, the LEDs were more than adequate to follow the trail and the incan just a push away for longer distance spotting.

On my second outing the L2 came to life because the trail was much more open and I had less reflection. The L2 was my first choice with the A2 or G2 close behind. Once again the throw from the TL-3 was only useful for longer distance spotting not trail following.

I suspect your L2 pics are on high - wonder how it would do on low but I guess that is not the point :)

My first choice for a 'walk in the dark woods light' is the A2 with a G2 or L2 as backup - in case the bulb goes south. The P91 looks interesting but the battery life would keep me away - maybe a good backup spotting light for the L2.
Once again great photos - thanks for the effort.:goodjob:

The A2 and L2 go hand-in-hand. The low setting on the L2 is perfect for dense woods. With a rechargeable battery, the low is "lower" than with primaries.

My Z2 with the G90 rounds off my main lights when going into the dark treeline.

Of course my L0P and the Arc-P on my keychain backs up the back-ups.

Last edited:

EV_007

Enlightened
NotRegulated said:
GREAT PHOTO'S!!!
The pictures tell the story!

I have found the P91 to be awesome. I have a dedicated 2x18650 tube setup for it.
The hotspot and enormous spill is quite addicting.
However, It is not a light that you can leave on and hike with for any length of time. It will become so hot you cannot hold it! I even have the M2 head on mine to help dissipate heat. The last time I had mine on continuously, within 20 minutes it was so hot you could barely hold it with a bare hand; head and tube. I would recommend the P90 if with rechargables if you wanted it on continuous.

Very true, the P91 gets hot indeed. I use it as my momentary "what the heck was that" light strapped to my side.

The A2 LEDs are my primary constant illumination device. If I'm with two or more people and they don't have lights, I also light the way with the broad beam of the L2.

My girlfriend grabs my Z2 G90 and nearly kills my night vision by flashing evey little sound in the distance.

Clipping my Arc-P to the bill of my baseball cap seems to work pretty good as well.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice pics again, EV_007! It should be noted that the comparison is a bit of apples to oranges, but a nice range of popular lights and lamps. In the LED's defense, you are comparing a 30-40 lumen LED light and a 100 lumen flood LED light with 60, 80, 100, and 200 lumen incandescents designed for throw. A SF L6 or McGizmo HD45 may even it up a little on the LED side. However, your pictures do represent the color spectrum differences I notice with my set of pupils, which is why I tend to prefer incandescents for use outdoors (especially when using them for spotting). Thanks again for the comparison! :)

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
EV_007, incredible pictures. Thank you for taking the time to take these pictures to show what is often difficult to say in words. From your pictures it's clear how well the incandescents render depth, and how the LEDs can appear to "flatten" the field. The throw of the L2 is also shown to be less of than that of the incandescents! It would be interesting if you had an L4 to try out as well!

Thank you!

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed, Wonderful beamshots, now i need something to accomadate a p91, i dont have one but now i need something.

EV_007

Enlightened
True true leukos, I just threw the two LEDs in at the last minute cuz that's what I happen to have with me, but not in any way meant as a side-by-side comparison.

I love LEDs for close range and indoor applications.

EV_007

Enlightened
The SL throws pretty good, just very little sidespill. The deep reflector aids in this effort. It is one of the best values for a LED thrower. I think the C cell version throws even a bit further.

The G2 looks a bit brighter and more even sidespill to the naked eye.

These two lights are what I steer my friends to. Still considered a bit spendy for flashlights to them, but once they have them in their hands, all bets are off. Huhahahaha...............

EV_007

Enlightened
Just added a few more beamshots tonight. And an interesting comparision of a 1 million CP spotlight against the P91.