• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

New Matterhorn Bodies

RobynS

Newly Enlightened
Full Sized AAA Battery:

We have just completed a run of LUG style bodies for the Matterhorn AAA line. They are available in black hard anodized aluminum, brass and stainless steel. They all have a 30% knurl – including the stainless steel.

10280 Li-ion Battery:

We also have LUG style bodies with knurling for the 10280 battery in all three metals. In addition, the pocket style body has been produced for this battery. 10280 Li-ion batteries and chargers are also in stock and ready to ship.

10180 Li-ion Battery:

For those who prefer a smaller size, we have also produced LUG style bodies in all three metals for the 10180 Li-ion batteries. We do not currently have these batteries available.

We do not recommend the Ultra power head with Li-ion batteries as they overdrive the LED too severely and may diminish LED life. One sample had an output of 110 candlepower from an alkaline AAA and an output of 160 cp with the 10180 Li-ion battery. The High Power 3 LED Matterhorn went from 90 to 120 cp difference.

Measurements:

Standard AAA

1 LED LUG 2.88 inches overall
3 LED LUG 3.07 inches overall

10280 Li-ion Battery

1 LED LUG 2.24 inches overall
3 LED LUG 2.43 inches overall

10180 Li-ion Battery

1 LED LUG 1.85 inches overall
3 LED LUG 2.04 inches overall

The small Li-ion batteries do not have a lot of run time. However, they are rechargeable and have a very good power output and charge retention.

Prices – Body ONLY – for all three battery sizes (AAA, 10280, 10180) Battery not included

Aluminum / Brass Pocket $5.00
Stainless Steel Pocket $10.00
Aluminum / Brass LUG $10.00
Stainless Steel LUG $15.00

10280 Li-ion Battery $4.50
Charger for 10280 battery $7.00
Spacer $1.75

These bodies will work with any AAA Matterhorn head you may currently own. If you are interested in a complete flashlight, an additional Head Only charge would apply. The Head Only prices can be viewed on the accessory page of our website.

Due to the current restructuring of our website – we will not be putting the above items on to the website. You can purchase (while quantities last) via telephone 877-881-7325, email – [email protected] or fax your request to 623-582-0526. Paypal is also available. Please PM me for paypal address. $5.00 USPS Priority, $15.00 USPS Global Priority.

Please do not submit orders until Monday, October 30.

Here is a photo of Peak's new Matterhorn bodies:

PeakPic.jpg

vortechs

Enlightened
Thanks Robyn!

For anyone who is interested in the history of the special run of 10280-size bodies or some technical details, please see the groupbuy feeler thread that got this all started: here

vortechs

Enlightened
Note that I believe the 10180-size bodies are only available in the lug-style.

I do not think Peak made any pocket-style 10180-size bodies. I am sure Robyn will correct me if this is incorrect.

kevinm

Enlightened
Hi Robyn,

Who carries the 10180 batteries and chargers? Also, you mention that they don't run long on the small Li-ions, but how long is not long?

Nice work on the new bodies!

Thanks,
Kevin

vortechs

Enlightened
I got the tiny 10180 Li-Ion cell as a special-order item from CPF dealer AW. He doesn't advertise them because he does not normally carry them. They are somewhat more difficult for AW to get and there hasn't been any demand for a 10180 cell (until now). I recently PM'ed AW and he said that he had some 10180 cells on order. Rather than everyone sending PM's to AW about 10180 cells, why don't we wait for him to post about them.

For a comparison of size, the 10180 cell is 18mm long, while the 10280 cell is 28mm long and a normal AAA (10440) cell is 44mm long.

For a comparison of capacity of these tiny 3.6V Li-Ion cells, the 10180 cell is rated at 90mAh, the 10280 cell is rated at 180mAh, and the 10440 is rated at 320mAh.

The charging current for these Li-Ion cells should be kept below 1C (the current in mA should be less than the capacity of the cell in mAh). The 10440 and 10280 Li-Ion cells can be charged on the Nano charger (with a spacer), but the 10180 cell requires a special charger. I use a charger for Li-Ion coin cells that has a charging current of 10-20mA. Do NOT use a higher current charger like the DSD or Pila on any of these tiny cells.

Let's wait for AW to post more details about the availablity of 10180 cells, or for AW to arrange for them to be available directly from Peak LED Solutions.

jburgett

Newly Enlightened
Very nice!

So . . . I am hoping that a Baltic version of the AAA lug could be coming soon?

Theatre Booth Guy

Enlightened
jburgett said:
Very nice!

So . . . I am hoping that a Baltic version of the AAA lug could be coming soon?

I'd like one of those also - but with the rechargable shorter cell option. A stainless version would be great!

Thank you Peak for finding more ways to make my day :rock:

randyo

Enlightened
Please Please Please - Make a run of lug bodies cut WAY down as small as possible to serve as "spare head holders". Sure would be nice to be able to toss a red head and a UV head on the keychain for "just in case" duties. I'd make my own, but you already have the machinery and process required to make them better and cheaper.

jburgett

Newly Enlightened
Robyn,

I really like the knurling on the new bodies!
How about knurling the heads of all your lights to match???

(or is there a patent issue involved?)
Thanks!

Grubbster

Enlightened
I ordered a couple of these bodies today. While talking to the gentleman on the phone (Kurt?) he told me there would be a new Peak CPF special coming out in about a month. When I pressed for details, I got nowhere. All he would say is that it is a light not normal for Peak. I am hoping for a Lux V or multi-level or both! Let the speculation begin!

Last edited:

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Grubbster said:
I ordered a couple of these bodies today. While talking to the gentleman on the phone (Kurt?) he told me there would be a new Peak CPF special coming out in about a month. When I pressed for details, I got nowhere. All he would say is that it is a light not normal for Peak. I am hoping for a Lux V or multi-level or both! Let the speculation begin!

Maybe an XR-E driven with an A123 Systems 3.2V nano-technology LiFePO4 rechargable and multi-level output? If speculating, shoot for the moon! :D

Last edited:

vortechs

Enlightened
Here is the list of the shortened Matterhorn bodies that Peak currently has available and a very approximate quantity. If I have missed anything, hopefully RobynS can add it:

10280-size Aluminum:
Lug, Bare, New style -------- 2 ??
Lug, Black HA, New style ---- 180
Pocket, Black HA ------------ 25
Key Ring, Black HA ---------- 10

10280-size Brass:
Lug --------- 25
Pocket ------ 10
Key Ring ---- 10

10280-size Stainless Steel:
Lug --------- 25
Key Ring ---- 10

10180-size Aluminum:
Lug, Black HA, New style --- 70

10180-size Brass:
Lug --------- 25

10180-size Stainless Steel:
Lug --------- 20

Notes:
1) "Old style" refers to the original Arc body appearance with the deep, tiny diagonal checkering/knurling (it reminds me of a file).
2) "New style" refers to the current Peak body appearance with the shallow, wide, diagonal checkering/knurling with two plain horizontal bands that don't have any checkering (like the ones in the pictures on Peaks website). The body is engraved "PEAK LED SOLUTIONS" on the bare band that is nearest to the front of the body.
3) "Lug" refers to the tail found on the original Arc-AAA lights. The lug is a flat metal tab that protrudes from the tail end (like a 1/2 inch semi-circle), with a hole drilled crosswise through it for putting it on a split ring keychain (picture of a Peak 3LED AAA Matterhorn with lug-style body).
4) "Pocket" refers to a flat tail; it is the shortest of all the bodies.
5) "Key Ring" refers to a longer tail with a removeable threaded stud that has a hole in it for for putting it on a split ring keychain; it is the longest of all the bodies. The shortened "Key Ring" body with the stud installed is almost exactly the same overall length as a normal Arc-AAA lug style body. The "Key Ring" body can tailstand when the tail stud is removed. The removable tail stud also makes it easy to remove the light from your keychain without undoing a split ring, since you can remove the light and leave the tailstud on your keychain. The tail stud can also be replaced with a tiny spring-loaded switch for momentary pushbutton action.

vortechs

Enlightened
mcmc said:
Do any of these fit an N-cell?

No, these Peak Matterhorn bodies all have the internal diameter for an AAA cell, they just vary in how long they are. The 10280-size body is designed to work with a 10280 Li-Ion cell (available from Peak or from AW); it is the correct length for an N cell, but it is too narrow for an N-cell to fit.

The Peak Shasta is a stock Peak light that is designed to take an N cell.

Galiphrey

Enlightened
Grubbster said:

I think a month has passed. !!

randyo

Enlightened
I received my order of various flavors of the small bodies. They are wonderfully made. Question - it was stated in the earlier threads that the Matterhorn Hi-power LED was not driven to dangerous levels using the Li-Ion battery. How about the triple-head Hi-power? I have an early version triple white LED - the version with the flat flat face.