Milky Cree-Mation!

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
And so it begins... :naughty:

img-cree-p2-on-luxeon-star.jpg

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice Closeup!!! Reminds me of a really funny story, to long and disgusting to go into here. But anybody that wants to hear it remind me at Photon Fest VII. Its definitely worth the 10 minutes.

bombelman

Flashlight Enthusiast
So Milky-man, the contacts next to the dome can just be soldered to with pos [+] and neg [-] leads directly from a driver-boards ?

Cheers !!

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
bombelman said:
So Milky-man, the contacts next to the dome can just be soldered to with pos [+] and neg [-] leads directly from a driver-boards ?

Cheers !!

As long as the board itself is electrically isolated, which a Luxeon star heatsink is, then YES!
:thumbsup:

EricMack

Flashlight Enthusiast
:popcorn:

Shaawiiingg!! :laughing: Dr. Frank-Cree-Stein at work in MLabs.... :whistle: :naughty:

The more the merrier! :)

Lonely Raven

Newly Enlightened
Ewe! Is that your typical soldering job, or is there a reason it looks like silver goobers slobbered over those cree contacts?

Anywho, excited to see what you do with it!

Nice photo by the way.

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Why is this under BST??
I keep clicking on it thinking there is something for sale.
Seems more appropriate in the Homemade/Modified lights? :shrug:
I obviously don't mean any offense or harm :) - I think this is awesome!
Thanks,
john :)

Last edited:

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL, thats crazy!!! Why not just use the cree star if you are using a lux1? A lux3 star would be a better choice if you cut around the pcb so it would sit down if you want to improve thermal transfer. Franky with all the work to put it on the star, why not just use the emitter and solder wires to it? There are small enough wires... just clip the corners..

Anywho, whats the power to the 1D? what reflectors? ludicrous amount of light!

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Isaac, the LuxI star does a nice job at 350mA and I find it's easy to solder to... besides, I have a bunch sitting around from emitter removal in previous Luxeon builds. :eek:

jch79 said:
Why is this under BST??
I keep clicking on it thinking there is something for sale.
Seems more appropriate in the Homemade/Modified lights? :shrug:
I obviously don't mean any offense or harm :) - I think this is awesome!
Thanks,
john :)

John, yeah, it's a little confusing right now I guess. The vast majority of items shown in this thread will in fact be for sale... for example, the M231 shown a few posts above this is something I can build for folks... might not end up using exactly the same reflectors, but the concept will be the same... hmm... if ya want an M231, send me a PM! ;)

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Milky: Ahhh only 350ma. I forget your mods are good with runtime. Yes 350ma is fine, and the lux1 star is actually even better at thermal transfer than the mcpcb that people have been putting the crees on. I would caution though that a star that has been bent to pop the emmiter off can weaken the bond of the pcb to the aluminum, and the aluminum won't be perfectly flat when it contacts the heatsink either anymore. I guess this all really depends on the amount it was bent, as I've done some really far and the pcb comes right off with the luxeon. But one would still want to sand / lap the backside to make sure it's as flat as possible.

I kind of like the look of the cree on the luxeon star though! Something familiar, and something new! :D