Neodymium magnets kill flashlights?

dandruff

Enlightened
help!

i recently accidentally exposed my old-style arc aaa to a very powerful magnet.

it stopped working immediately after that!

what can i do? help!

Last edited by a moderator:

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Re: Magnet killed my arc!!

dandruff said:
help!

what can i do? help!

... buy a new one? Seriously, give Peter a hollar.

CLHC

Flashaholic

Oh oh! That can't be good if a magnet will "fizzle" out an Arc LED now can it? The again you mentioned that it was a "very powerful magnet," which I'm sure isn't something that one finds or uses everyday.

Hope you get it resolved soon enough.

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast

If the light was on when the magnet was brough close it can saturate the magnetic material in the inductor which can cause larger than normal currents to flow which can burn out the IC or switching FET.

Greg

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes, I would like to hear more about this magnet. I have tested the Arc-AAA repeatidly next to some blister causing, rare earth monsters with no lasting effect.

In fact, I doubt the problem was caused by the magnet.

During operation, a magnet with a strong enough field can saturate the inductor, this causes the LED to dim while the field is present but should not "burn out" the circuit since the switch is current limited.

Peter

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

Mine dimmed when in the presence of a magnet. I stuck it on a magnet that was on a file cabnet to see if it would stick. It did the battery has a steel case. I didn't do it again as I knew the inductor was being interfered with. I'll watch this thread..... Interesting. And no I'm not going to use magnets to give my Arc varible output if it turns out magnets won't damage it!! hehehe

dandruff

Enlightened

Gransee said:
Yes, I would like to hear more about this magnet. I have tested the Arc-AAA repeatidly next to some blister causing, rare earth monsters with no lasting effect.
Peter

thanks for the reply peter.

hmm. i dunno if its a "monster" and it certainly doesnt give me any 'blisters' anywhere, but it is fairly powerful, definitely more so than the kind you can buy at anyold local shop.

it wiped out my dad's hotel key card once, and if its in your pocket, it can sometimes temporarily slightly throw you off balance if you walk past a metal railing or something. if stuck to a filing cabinet, you do have to exert a good amount of strength to get it off.

i attribute my arc aaa's failure to it because it has been 100% reliable ever since i got it. then i threw the magnet in the same pocket and my arc was magnetized to it. i found it odd considering its made of aluminium. anyways i tried switching on later and it didnt work. coincidence?

so far i have:

1) changed the battery (duh)
2) cleaned contacts
3) relubed the oring

what else should i try?

Dr_Joe

Enlightened

dandruff said:
..........if its in your pocket, it can sometimes temporarily slightly throw you off balance if you walk past a metal railing.........

:aaa: That is one scary magnet !!

randyo

Enlightened

and if its in your pocket, it can sometimes temporarily slightly throw you off balance if you walk past a metal railing or something. if stuck to a filing cabinet, you do have to exert a good amount of strength to get it off.

Ahh - that explains it. The magnet is sapping your precious bodily fluids. Obviously it has the same effect on the ARC.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast

Dandruff, please send me the light in. We will either fix or replace it. I would also like to study is closer.

I think most people who understand how the boost circuit in the Arc-AAA works would agree with me that it is unlikely a magnet of that size could permanantly destroy the circuit.

Btw, the reason the Arc-AAA stuck to the magnet is because of the steel-case AAA battery inside.

Peter

dandruff

Enlightened

alright will do. i just hope that in the end it isnt some mundane problem, that would be a little disappointing heh.

will send it out this weekend. thanks again.

DFiorentino

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hmm, odd. I acidentally had my Q3 stick to the side of a 7T strength magnet :eeksign: (MRI) and it did nothing. Well nothing other than suprise the heck out of me.

-DF

mridude

Newly Enlightened

Well, as my nickname would suggest, I am an MRI technologist. I've had both the older and newer Arc AAA's in my pocket while working around my MRI....which admitedly is only a 0.3 Teslar Open MRI.....but had alot of extended exposures as I do work 5 days a week around it. I had a small pocket knife that actually became magnetized by itself after repeated exposures!
I don't recall having the lights on during my times around the magnet. I stopped wearing my keys in the MRI room after a few "Is that a flashlight in your pocket....or are you just happy to see me" moments. ( The pocket actually bulges out )
On a side note. It has been said within Technologist circles that Techs working around high field 3T+ magnets have had short term memory loss....so forgive me if I post this again, and again...

DFiorentino

Flashlight Enthusiast

mridude said:
On a side note. It has been said within Technologist circles that Techs working around high field 3T+ magnets have had short term memory loss....so forgive me if I post this again, and again...

That explains a lot! :lolsign: Could I get that in writing?

That explains a lot! .....

:)
-DF

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hmm so the arc was on the magnet when it wasn't on and doesnt work now? That is even odder!

BillCobb-

Newly Enlightened

dandruff said:
help!

what can i do? help!

Hi dandruff, maybe you could send arc the magnet as well so they could see if they can duplicate your problem?

Spins

Newly Enlightened

My ARC LS dims or goes out when inspecting the bore of a 1.5Tesla MRI. It does not fail, but returns to normal brightness when away from the magnet. Core saturation?

I use a Madmax and also a BB Luxeon adapter in a Maglite body inside the same magnet. Both have regulation circuitry like the ARC. Works great, full light output. Why does the core not saturate ??
(Gave the ARC AAA to the wife, so never tested it in the magnet.)
Planning on buying an ARC Premium VS. Peak Matterhorn so I was perusing the forum today.