Can anyone change the LED in my S/F L2 to a Cree?

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to update my two S/F L2's from their original LED's to the new Cree LED's. I would all the functions to remain the same except for the more efficient Cree. Anyone?.....

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L2 uses a Lux V and thus utilizes a boost converter. You can't just swap out the LED. You also have to replace the converter. And the reflector, unless you like Krispy Kreme's.

SCblur

Enlightened
still, if anybody can do it, milkyspit can. PM him and see what he says.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
CM said:
The L2 uses a Lux V and thus utilizes a boost converter. You can't just swap out the LED. You also have to replace the converter. And the reflector, unless you like Krispy Kreme's.

Mmm, Krispy Kreme. :D

CM's right of course. That said, the entire L2 head could possibly be replaced with a 3-Cree arrangement wired in series... that would approximate the Vf of a REALLY crummy LuxV... not sure if the circuit will drive that high, but it's certainly worth a try! You'd need an E2C adapter and probably at minimum a C2 head or similar, and even then you'd be using some pretty small reflectors...

Or go hog wild and use BOTH an E2C adapter AND a C2M LeefDapter, then use an M3 head with McR17xr reflectors! Would end up with a big light with, uh, big output to match! :naughty:

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
The man himself has spoken. So are we going to see an L2 Cree-mation ? :D

Dadof6

Enlightened
I have an L2 that I'd throw in to see if it can be done. I've been trying to reach milkyspit for some time about some possible creeations, hopefully he'll respond and we'll work something out.