XeRay 50W runtime, is this right?

bc5000

Newly Enlightened
I just received my 50W XeRay a couple days ago and I've really been enjoying it. I live in remote area where it really gets dark at night. I love the sound when it first fires up. Should of had one long time ago.
Anyway, when it came, the battery check showed 8. I played with the light for a few minutes then charged it to full. After that it didn't seem like it took very long to go back down to 8 or 6. So today I checked the runtime.
Right off the charger I would run it for 10 min. then let it cool for 30 min. then run it again until right at 60 min. the light shut itself off.
I was curious if anyone else has ever checked their runtime. I searched and found one person that got 104 min. off of a fresh charge.

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
bc5000 said:
Anyway, when it came, the battery check showed 8. I played with the light for a few minutes then charged it to full. After that it didn't seem like it took very long to go back down to 8 or 6. So today I checked the runtime.
Right off the charger I would run it for 10 min. then let it cool for 30 min. then run it again until right at 60 min. the light shut itself off.
I was curious if anyone else has ever checked their runtime. I searched and found one person that got 104 min. off of a fresh charge.

The gauge is not linear. It is not fully charged until the same red charge light turns green, not when the charge button pushed shows all the LEDs on.

bc5000

Newly Enlightened
Maybe I need to rephrase that.

Right off the charger, it went 60 min., then the light shut itself off.

Last edited:

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
bc5000 said:
Maybe I need to rephrase that.

Right off the charger, it went 60 min., then the light shut itself off.

Did the red charge light, (the light comes on seconds after you plug in the charger) turn green by itself. Full charge takes about 3.5 hours or so. The 1 and the same red charge light should turn green when done. dont press the charge level button to see this, just watch the red light change on its own.

bc5000

Newly Enlightened
XeRay said:
Did the red charge light, (the light comes on seconds after you plug in the charger) turn green by itself. Full charge takes about 3.5 hours or so. The 1 and the same red charge light should turn green when done. dont press the charge level button to see this, just watch the red light change on its own.

Yes Dan, as soon as the red light turned green, I pulled it off the charger and did the runtime test.

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
bc5000 said:
Yes Dan, as soon as the red light turned green, I pulled it off the charger and did the runtime test.

The you need to return the battery for a replacement.

bc5000

Newly Enlightened
I pulled the bottom plate off and noticed a sticker on the ballast. Under the bar code it reads AC 75 W. Do I have a Barn Burner here? Is this why I'm getting the shorter runtime?

NAW

Enlightened
There are 2 possibilities.

1) Since the battery is new then that means you will have to give it several full cycles of recharging to get full runtime from the batteries.

2) You have a BarnBurner and you are extremley lucky :)

I think its obivious you are very lucky :grin2:

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast
The switch on top, as well as the bottom plate of the BB is different from the 50W, as can be seen by this post. You would be very lucky to buy an Xeray 50W and receive a BarnBurner though.. :grin2:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
bc5000, you really meant to say you had a 50W ballast, right (hint, hint)....I can see how you might have made an innocent mistake. (eepkay ouryay outhmay utshay & ebay appyhay). LOL!