Free.Light Spartanian

Chao

Enlightened
spark-1.jpg

This light using Edision Edixeon LED was purchased from batteryjunction, nice hot spot with yellow corona, there was a good review by 65535 in this thread https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/148441

beamshots at 5m diatance:
spartanian, P1DCE
spark5mCR.jpg
p1dce5m.jpg

beamshots at 10m distance:
spartanian (CR123A), spartanian (3.7V R123A), P1DCE
spark10mCR.jpg
spark3.7v10m.jpg
p1dce10m.jpg

spart-low.jpg

Runtimes
sparkruntime.jpg

Chao

Last edited:

lightbug

Enlightened
Good review, thanks :goodjob:

Spartanian seems not as bright as the p1d ce. :popcorn:

patycake57

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the review Chao. I'm very interested in this light, but have waited for more people to get them. Overall, how do you like the light? Does the yellow corona bother you during use? How does the switch feel? How low is the low? Is the machining of good quality? Thanks in advance.

Chao

Enlightened
Hi patycake57, the yellow corona does not bother me when use it outdoor. It's not brighter than P1DCE, but actually I use this light alot, I like the size and clicky switch, very easy to use, the clicky is not soft, but it's fine for me. The low output is very low, I will take a picture, maybe compared with P1DCE-low, and post it later.

Last edited:

Chao

Enlightened
Add beamshot in low level compared with P1D-CE.

AArcVarc

Newly Enlightened
Not just the price difference, but this is the only Edison Edixeon KLC8 out there. There are still no single battery Seoul P4 lights available thru a domestic purveyor. So, lots of Cree XR-E choices, No Seoul P4 choices and only one KLC8 single battery light.

I wonder if the Seoul P4 was either unavailable or presented other difficulties that precluded its choice by the available makers of single battery lights.

fleegs

Enlightened
Great review!

Chiming in on the free.light. I really like this light. It feels great in my hand. I do wish it was just a tad shorter so it could replace the PD on my belt (but it does feel better in my hand than the PD with its bigger size). Alas, it does not fit in the same pouch as the PD so no EDC.

The beam of the free.light is very similar to my PD beam (free.light has wider/brighter corona). Of course high is brighter in the free.light but boths lows match well. I agree that the switch it stiff but I like it. The stiffness appears to make it more pocket friendly and pack friend in terms of preventing accidental activation. And when you think of the price it just makes me smile. A decent flashlight I wouldn't mind letting someone borrow.

I just received a LumaM1Hunter (with OP reflector). When comparing the free.light to that light...I have come to the conclusion that they are very different lights for different purposes. This is mainly due to where the beam brightnesses are set and beam focus of the M1. Highs are comparable but the lows are almost opposite. For one the M1 goes low then high and the free.light goes high then low. I can't tell which I like better mainly because I have had the free.light first. I always thought I liked low then high but I am no so sure anymore. All in all this makes it very easy to keep both (like we need help doing that). Which I am happy for. The fit and finish on the M1 is great. Better than the free.light (but cost is higher). I like the design of the M1 where everything screws into another part.

Oh, I almost forgot the yellow ring around the hotspot of the free.light has proven more useful than the dark spot around my P1D-CE beam and the M1 faded dark spot (due to stippled reflector).

Now what if I had to chose between the M1, free.light and P1D-CE? I would chose the free.light (mainly due to size, easier to hold in mouth), then the M1 and then the P1D-CE (last mainly due to complexity, I found I prefer the simplicity of two good levels even it the light is bigger). Would I pick any of these over my McLux PD...Nope. I really like that the PD has an improved (in my opinion) electrical path. It makes the PD almost maintenance free. If this could only be done in a CR2 Ion sized light.

Enjoy your flashlights,
rob

lahjik

Newly Enlightened
Just to add to this, I got my Spartanian from BatteryJunction as well (FAST shipping!) and am quite pleased with it. Especially pleased, I might add, when the price is considered. As has been noted above, I love the size. It fits very nicely in the hand for being a 1-cell. Kind of like the Inova X-1 fits better than some other single AA lights.

The Spartanian advertises 130 lumens, but seems to be putting out a level of light much more in line with the maximum output of my HDS EDC60U - so I figure halving the manufacturer's 130 might be more accurate. Still, I did notice that some extended use on high resulted in very little heat gain and if it really is going to give me 90-100 minutes of this 60+ lumens vs 8 minutes from my EDC60 that is a huge improvement in LED output. Additionally, as noted above, I love the low. I had a Fenix L1T but ended up passing it along to the in-laws because the high/low were just so non-functional.

Conclusion: Nice light, good price, very happy. Can't wait to see what else will be coming out with this new generation of LED technologies.

neoseikan

Enlightened
Hi. Chao, Thanks for the review.
I could see the pics you listed. Could you send a copy to me?
It will be very helpful.
My email: neoseikan at 126.com

Pathlight

Newly Enlightened
Hay, good review, good pictures. did you do lux readings on it? I did'nt see it
in chart or thread. I was ready to get P1D CE or maybe P2D (not as brite).
looks like Spartanian is briter on 3.7V than P1D and weaker than P1D with reg-
ular 123A. was hoping Fenix was britest. like small lite weight lites. I have
this lite (Vinet) with 3W luxeon. 3.1oz. Fenix is 1.6-oz. and smaller with 3
lite levels. even so I might get the Spartanian. I like good combo of throw and
good spill with good transition (no bad or dark rings). not sure of fenix lite
pattern. did I read your pictures right? Regards, Gordon

Chao

Enlightened
Pathlight said:
Hay, good review, good pictures. did you do lux readings on it? I did'nt see it
in chart or thread.

Hi Gordon, thanks for the kind words, the runtime graph in #1 post is lux number vs. time.

Spartanian 2 will be 200 lums? :rock:, wish the price will less than $50.

Latest posts