SL Stinger LED with Seoul P4 mod completed! **beamshots**

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just completed my first mod. I can say this was an easy mod for a newb because I just simply removed the lux III and epoxyed and soldered in the new seoul P4.

I did have to make a minor adjustment to the reflector because the P4 is slightly different in size. I think that the reflector cap has lock tite in it so I did not attempt to remove it. I just simply used a dremel tool to bore out the bottom of the plastic reflector to make it bigger in circumference. I did have to go into the reflector afterwards with a q-tip to clean out the dust.

Here are some beamshots. Maybe SL will make a "version 2" with the P4. It really improves the overall performance of this light. Sorry no runtime graphs but from what I have read the P4 runs more efficiently and probably improves runtime and brightness of course!

Stinger LED modded with KLC8 here.......
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/15846

Mod pic.
shotstsr.jpg

Outdoor Shots. Distance about 35-40 feet. 1/2 sec exposure.
Stinger LED w/Seoul P4
bshotP4018.jpg

Stinger LED
shotstledo010.jpg

Original Stinger
shotsto009.jpg

Last edited:

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice. I hope SL jumps on the new high efficiency LEDs soon.
But to think , if Lumileds came out with a comparable LED in the Luxeon format, we wouldn't need to do any of the reflector mods to get them to fit and focus.

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree. The Stinger LED is a nice upgrade from the original stinger, but the Seoul P4 makes it a whole lot better. Now I just need SL to make a Strion LED for me to mod with the Seoul P4. I wonder if any of the other SL led lights are as easy to mod as the Stinger LED?

dcowboyscr

Newly Enlightened
Greenwood(Indianapolis), Indiana & Orlando, Florid
How much would it cost to put in a seol p4 led? How much is the actual led and where could I obtain one? What would you estimate the light level at considering the original lux III in the stinger led is rated at 80 lumens? Should I go with a Cree led instead?

Last edited:

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
dcowboyscr said:
How much would it cost to put in a seol p4 led? How much is the actual led and where could I obtain one? What would you estimate the light level at considering the original lux III in the stinger led is rated at 80 lumens? Should I go with a Cree led instead?

You can get the emitter here...
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2026
I picked up some thermal epoxy cheap on e-bay. Just search "thermal epoxy" on ebay and you should find some.

I really had no way of measuring total output but I can say that it was significantly brighter. Compared to my other lights, I would estimate about 140 lumens with the SSC P4. The reflector in the Stinger LED really works well. I can illuminate a power line tower about 375 feet from my house.

Not sure about the cree....probably would require more mounting modifications.

I am waiting for a Edison KLC8 LED to mod in my other stinger so be sure to look out for my thread!!

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Manzerick said:
very nice!

Do you think this can be done on the TerrsLUX 3 watt drop in for the Stinger?

I'm sure it could. The SSC is slightly different in dimensions compared to the Lux 3 so it would probably take some minor modifications.

kraghack

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I'm a complete newbie, never modded anything ever, but we all have to start somewhere! I own a Stinger LED and I just wanted to verify that upgrading my flashlight to a Seoul P4 emitter would cost only about $20 or am I missing something here?

You can get the emitter here...
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2026
I picked up some thermal epoxy cheap on e-bay. Just search "thermal epoxy" on ebay and you should find some.

I really had no way of measuring total output but I can say that it was significantly brighter. Compared to my other lights, I would estimate about 140 lumens with the SSC P4. The reflector in the Stinger LED really works well. I can illuminate a power line tower about 375 feet from my house.

Not sure about the cree....probably would require more mounting modifications.

I am waiting for a Edison KLC8 LED to mod in my other stinger so be sure to look out for my thread!!

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Should be less than that. Check out the CPF marketplace or Dealextreme for SSC emitters. Get some thermal epoxy, a soldering iron and you should be on your way! This was my first MOD.

If you decide to do this MOD with the SSC, you will have to make the opening of the reflector a tad larger because the metal contacts of the SSC stick out a little farther and it sits just a tad higher also. I used a dremel tool for this.

Good luck!

pfccypret

Newly Enlightened
Interesting mod. I love my Stringer LED. I may have to try something like this one weekend.

Anyone know of an emitted that would not require me to bore out the reflector?

Lightingguy321

Enlightened
I agree. The Stinger LED is a nice upgrade from the original stinger, but the Seoul P4 makes it a whole lot better. Now I just need SL to make a Strion LED for me to mod with the Seoul P4. I wonder if any of the other SL led lights are as easy to mod as the Stinger LED?
The Jr. Luxeon Is an easy modder. I took out the original LD lux I and swapped in a SSC P4 U bin LED and it works great with stock optics.

Lightingguy321

Enlightened
Requires soldering, and disassembly of the original emitter from the star board (observe polarity). The only way I have known to do this with out damaging either the emitter or the star board is to slip a very thin X-acto knife under the emitter casing and pop the LED off (take care not to pry at the emitter while the knife is only under the plastic, trust me I did that before to a 3-Watt high binned LED :ohgeez:was ticked when I broke it). PM me for further instruction

scrapyd

Newly Enlightened
Hey im about to preform this mod (my first) what do you mean observe polarity? Im not new to soldering but someone of a newbie to led's Thanks for any help!

Rob

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey im about to preform this mod (my first) what do you mean observe polarity? Im not new to soldering but someone of a newbie to led's Thanks for any help!

Rob

The LED will only light up if the polarity is correct.

scrapyd

Newly Enlightened
ok so what does that mean, i have to figure out which lead goes to which side of the board? or is the polarity on the led it self ?

or is it just a guessing game?

Lightingguy321

Enlightened
The polarity is on both the board and the emitter. The board should have some sort of clear marking of a + sign and a -sign. Depending on what emitter you are using here are some of the emitter polarity notations.

The lumileds Luxeon III and Luxeon I have a hole cut into one of the lead casings to dictate anode. You can find a picture of that on the lumileds web site at www.lumileds.com

The seoul LEDs have a notation of polarity indicator on the cathode side of the emitter. It has a hole cut into the tab on the side and the anode side has a small square tab.

The K2 has a diagonal cut across the plastic body (called a chamfer) to dictate the anode side.

As for the cree XRE lamps I am unsure how polarity is dictated. If polarity is incorrect you will get no light out of the LED.

Last edited:

Latest posts