Glass for bike square light

zgurl

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

still on my way to the builing of my bike light... I will use square aluminium tubes (like nightrider) and Mcr reflectors but I am wondering how I could close the reflector ends to protect from outside? What sort of glass can I use there? Is there any square possibility or do I need to use round ones + epoxy all around :barf:

Thanks in advance.

PS: my current options are Fatman+4xCrees+McR19xr+6NiMh or 2x18650, this should give me good autonomy at a good brightness level (around 200mA) with full possibility of total power (4x1A, for a limited time only :grin2: )

nightrider

Enlightened
I have used a 1/16" thick acrylic sheet lens to cover my lights. This is commonly known as Plexiglass or Perspex. It is supposed to transmit about 93% of the light that passes through it, which might be less efficient that mineral glass, but it is more durable and readily available.

I usually just cut one rectangle and cover the entire front of the light. If you just put a lens over your reflectors, water could still get down to your emitters (assuming you're following my design).
Here is a shot of my latest Triple Seoul P4 (u-bin). I cut out the middle two ribs so that the plexiglass could recess inside the front frame of the light. It is sealed in place with silicone caulk.

TripleSSC_Helmet.jpg

I added the photo below that shows the lens better. I got a little sloppy with the silicone.
3SSCLens.jpg

Hope this helps and good luck with your light!

Last edited:

zgurl

Newly Enlightened
Thanks nightrider!

I did not really know wether Plexiglass would be good enough for light transmission, but I will try and I think nobody will see those 7% of brightness loss :)

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw square collimating lenses on CPF sometime last week. I was wondering what the use for square reflectors would be. Now I know. They were available with different patterns for different uses. Maybe someone will know the link.

Square Optics

Last edited:

Brum

Newly Enlightened
greenlight said:
I saw square collimating lenses on CPF sometime last week. I was wondering what the use for square reflectors would be. Now I know. They were available with different patterns for different uses. Maybe someone will know the link.
LEDIL? Work and fit perfectly in the square tubing. They've got optics for both Cree and SSC. They come in 5 different beam angles.

sfCyclotourist

Newly Enlightened
Somewhere I read a suggestion about cutting up the clear plastic from a CD case to use as lenses for an LED bike light. Would that work?

Sawtooth

Newly Enlightened
sfCyclotourist said:
Somewhere I read a suggestion about cutting up the clear plastic from a CD case to use as lenses for an LED bike light. Would that work?
I think it would be too brittle...

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any glass shop can cut you a rectangular piece of glass. They just need to know what size. Myself, I'd go for 1/8 inch Lexan in this application. They can cut that too.