M*G Charger Lamps

DeLighted

Newly Enlightened
I have been looking for a replacement lamp for a Mag Charger. I have seen some references to a WA01160 bulb that has about twice the output. Does anyone have some other suggestions? Also,where is a good place to get a WA01160 bulbs?

Thanks

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Phillips 5761 is rated 6 volts, 30 watts, (@5.6 A), 765 lumens/497 torch lumens, 100 hours life.
The 1160 puts out about 300 torch lumens at 6V.
The 1111 puts out about 550 torch lumens at 7.2 volts

5761 scream at 7.2 volts, brighter than wa 1185 at just under 900 torch-lumnens
Bobg has some great comparison posts at 7.2 volst, search keyword: 5761

http://www.bulbconnection.com/ViewItem/bcrw/itmid/1479/oc/5761/item.html

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Mag Charger holds 4x3, Sanyo 2700, AA for 5.4 Ah at 7.2 volts. Maha Powerx AAs are probably better from post I have read. The tube is bored with 4 channels, quad-bore. I use a mica shield, they were available from Litho123. It has not melted the socket yet. I am experimenting with ceramic blanket material in lieu of the mica shield, it seems to work too. I would prefer the ceramic slug but you see that they are not yet available (we are waiting on FM's next run!). I am also experimenting with a ceramic slug, built with tubing rather than milled. It definately is not a FM, but it will probably serve the purpose well. Necessity is the mother of invention!
I started this thread on Mag Chargers:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/132125
and FM posted and inspired me to go on and now I got a very usealbe light that sees service every night! I have another MC that is going through metamorphasis and I have a FM extension tube, it does allow making the same light without boring, you can get 12 AAs into the 74mm on the MC. It is also important to insulate the reflector. Older lights you can pop the reflector out, in the past I put them back into the frame ontop of fiberglass felt and that worked, now I am using ceramic blanket material. The new MCs have the reflector really glued in with some high temp stuff. I am able to pack ceramic blanket material behind the lower portion of the reflector.
I forgot to mention the 5761 is the same diameter as the ROP Pelican 3854, .377. You can enlarge the reflector port by using a round dremel type stone dressed to the appropriate diameter and running that into the port. A smooth FM MC reflector is choice if you can find one.

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
Northern Lights said:
Phillips 5761 is rated 6 volts, 30 watts, (@5.6 A), 765 lumens/497 torch lumens, 100 hours life.
The 1160 puts out about 300 torch lumens at 6V.
The 1111 puts out about 550 torch lumens at 7.2 volts

5761 scream at 7.2 volts, brighter than wa 1185 at just under 900 torch-lumnens
Bobg has some great comparison posts at 7.2 volst, search keyword: 5761

http://www.bulbconnection.com/ViewItem/bcrw/itmid/1479/oc/5761/item.html

I consider you one of our local "MagCharger Masters". Listen to this guy, he knows his MC stuff for sure...:)

While I have your attention; I just tested my MC60 with the stock battery pack(near new) and got ~500 torch lumens with my meter. Now I know I am just using a DIY lightbox, but it is suprisingly accurate for comparisons sake. That was hot off the charger, where it had been sitting for about 24hrs. straight. At 10min., output was down to almost 350 lumens.....

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Strauss,
Thanks, you went out on a limb to say that; I recently got an anonymous email that said I was full of BS! :eek:oo: But my lights work. I read everybody's opinion and posted experience, everyone on the forum has worth and I think of myself more of a librarian as I do well in finding the information.

That brings me to this; will you post about your DIY light box? I have not been able to locate anything you may have said about it but it sounds great. I should have a light box to satisfy my curiosities.
NL

Latest posts