TerraLUX MiniStar2 EXTREME SSC P4 U-bin LED upgrade for AA MiniMag Maglites TLE-5EX

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sales and promotion threads belong at the market place. NOT on CPF proper.

Thread closed

[size=+2]I[/size]n partnership with TerraLUX I'm thrilled to announce that BatteryJunction.com is launching the new TerraLUX MiniStar2 EXTREME aka TLE-5EX which utilizes a Seoul SemiConductor (SSC) P4 U bin emitter. The newest, brightest AA MiniMag drop-in made! .

-Retains focusability of MiniMag AA
-Works with Alkaline, NiMh and Lithium AA's
-Regulated output.
-3-4X the runtime of the standard bulb
-Made in the USA!

In stock as of Wednesday 4/9.

Shipping
Domestic: USPS First Class shipping option for domestic orders will be <$4.
For international buyers we can offer air letter shipping for $5 anywhere in the world but as it's uninsurable the risk is your own. If you want this service please check out at the air parcel rate (will be $15-20) then just send me an EMAIL (NO PM's please) immediately afterwards with your order number and I will adjust your order. If paying via PayPal the overage will be refunded to your PayPal account.

Battery Questions: It works fine on NiMh, Alkaline and primary lithium. I have not tested it with Li-ion though I'm sure it would work with 1 and a dummy I don't know what would happen with 2 Li-ion cells but most likely you'd fry the electronics.

LUX & Runtime: I'm sure one of you will post some numbers soon enough and I will update this section accordingly.

ORDER LINK - $24.95 - CPF coupon = $23.70 + shipping.

As usual coupon code: 'cpf2006' will save you 5% - YOU MUST ENTER THE COUPON CODE AT THE TIME OF PURCHASE IT WILL NOT BE APPLIED RETROACTIVELY SO DON'T FORGET!!

Beamshots: 2 stops at ~ 36", all with fresh Duracell Alkalines

TLE-5K2 - TLE5EX - Stock Mag
TLE5EXBEAM%20001.jpg

TLE-5K2 - TLE5EX
TLE5EXBEAM%20003.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

chrome-addict

Newly Enlightened
Re: TerraLUX MiniStar2 EXTREME SSC P4 U-bin LED upgrade for AA MiniMag Maglites TLE-5EX

Does this use the same guts as the TLE-5K2? Anotherwards, If I was planning on swapping out the LED on my 5K2 with an SSC P4, is this essentially the same thing, minus the headache?

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
chrome-addict said:
Does this use the same guts as the TLE-5K2? Anotherwards, If I was planning on swapping out the LED on my 5K2 with an SSC P4, is this essentially the same thing, minus the headache?

yes ,same as 5k2

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: TerraLUX MiniStar2 EXTREME SSC P4 U-bin LED upgrade for AA MiniMag Maglites TLE-5EX

LOL - yah, pretty much. :)

chrome-addict said:

FrogsInWinter

Enlightened

Someone, anyone please compare this new 5EX drop-in to the MiniMag LED, specifically comparing runtime & brightness. If the 5EX's runtime is shotrer than the MM LED, then it better be brighter than the MM LED OR vice-versa.

Quickbeam's review of the older MiniStar2 Extreme (TLE-5K2) drop-in indeed confirmed it as extreme, an EXTREME waste of money. Buying three of those drop-ins has made me extremely wary of buying anymore TerraLux MiniMag drop-ins until they are compared to the MiniMag LED.

Sorry for that mini-rant, but I would like more info on the TLE-5EX before buying it. I'm a little angry at myself for being so quick to buy the TLE-5K2 without waiting for reviews. Lesson learned the hard way. This time I sit back and wait for reviews and info to come in.

lightmad

Newly Enlightened

Just bought 3. Can't go far wrong with Seoul SScP4.The TLE6EX was good for my 3DMag using 4C .Batteryjunction took back the TLE5K2 when I told them the one I got sucked.
Great service from them.

customh

Newly Enlightened

Been waiting for this since I found out about it, when i get the chance ill order this and the IQ switch.

lightmad

Newly Enlightened

IQ switch dims it

Face

Enlightened

If it runs safely with a 14500, I'm in.

Any chance of giving it a thorough testing Matt?

Perhaps just put a 14500 in it and leave it running flat out on top of all of your important paperwork ;)

BMRSEB

Enlightened
Face said:
If it runs safely with a 14500, I'm in.

Any chance of giving it a thorough testing Matt?

Perhaps just put a 14500 in it and leave it running flat out on top of all of your important paperwork ;)

MattK said:
Battery Questions: It works fine on NiMh, Alkaline and primary lithium. I have not tested it with Li-ion though I'm sure it would work with 1 and a dummy I don't know what would happen with 2 Li-ion cells but most likely you'd fry the electronics.
:)

Face

Enlightened

Thanks for the pointer... but Matt says it hasn't been tested.

I'd just like to know for sure so mine doesn't POOF!

I tried the K2 version on a 14500 and that started smoking - literally - so I just wanna know for sure, as this would be ideal for my cutdown.

Thanks again,

Face

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would also like a confirmation on the 14500 use. I'd love to use this in a mmmag. I have had great success running a regular mag bulb in my mmmag with a 14500 using the IQ switch, maybe that is the ticket to using this as well! Finally a GOOD use for those IQ switches and their power stealing ability!

schiesz

Last edited:

customh

Newly Enlightened

What is a 14500 scheiz? I'm looking to run an IQ switch and my plan was to get this bulb, then go to sportsman's and test it with and without the IQ switch, any better ideas?

Alteran

Enlightened
Where the grass is blue, up is down, and hamburger

A 14500 is a AA sized rechargable lithium-ion battery. It is not really a replacement for a AA, however, because it is 3.6V, which is more than twice the voltage of normal AAs. They can also be up to 4.2V hot off the charger. Sometimes, in 2 AA lights, you can use 1 dummy cell and 1 14500. 14 is diameter, 50 is length, and 0 means cylindrical cell. I believe measurements are in milimeters.

customh

Newly Enlightened
Alright, thanks, puts a whole new gamut to my questions...
EDIT:
qip said:
I dont understand how heat would get transferred to the body of the light with the washers as said in that link, will i need to sink this thing in my minimag? Is there a metal switch body i need to get?

Last edited:

vic2367

Enlightened

hey alteran ,,where can i get a 14500 dummy cell ? would you know ?

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast

And is anyone making the new chemistry (3.2v) type lithium rechargeables in the AA size yet?
I see them in the 123 size.

The mmmag is a great pocket size, I'm using some with the SMJLED dropins meant for the Solit@ire (with 1.2 and 1.5v AAs).

Sure would like to put a 3v rechargeable in without risking the 3.7v-and-higher troubles.

vic2367

Enlightened

yeah hank same here...

Status
Not open for further replies.