Dual Cree XR-E Bike Headlight

sfCyclotourist

Newly Enlightened
I just finished building my dual Cree XR-E Bike Headlight.

http://yojimg.net/bike/equipment/lights/led_lights.php

Thanks to niterider for design inspiriation and his excellent online help pages!!! (http://myfwyc.org/bikeled/DIY_LED_Bike_Lighting_Guide.html)

472607315_bc969b1df5.jpg

472593388_712f434945_d.jpg

Last edited:

Calina

Enlightened
Good Work!

Thanks for the links, the first one is new to me and looks very promising.
I will certainly spend some time there.

Ikonomi

Enlightened
Nice work! Any outdoor beamshots, or pics of it on your bike? :) Thank you, also, for the links. I had not seen the yojimg link, but it's a great summary of information and different projects.

We have really had a huge explosion of bike light threads here on CPF recently. I really think bike lights deserve their own subforum, for home built lights and commercially available lights both.

Robatman

Newly Enlightened
Hi there,

can you give details of the battery pack (is it just 4AA?) and which driver you used.

thanks
Robert

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ikonomi said:
We have really had a huge explosion of bike light threads here on CPF recently. I really think bike lights deserve their own subforum, for home built lights and commercially available lights both.

I agree, a bike light sub-forum would be nice. I think we have enough interest for one now....

Robatman

Newly Enlightened
hey sfCyclotourist
I'm getting close to taking the plunge on this, but i'm not sure on whether to go with 2 or 3 cree's. Whats your run time like?

Having done it (and assumed ridden with it) would you do 2 or 3 if you did it again?

Also did you use a lense (eg ledil) or just reflector and cover?
Robert

sfCyclotourist

Newly Enlightened
Robatman said:
hey sfCyclotourist
I'm getting close to taking the plunge on this, but i'm not sure on whether to go with 2 or 3 cree's. Whats your run time like?

Having done it (and assumed ridden with it) would you do 2 or 3 if you did it again?

Also did you use a lense (eg ledil) or just reflector and cover?
Robert

I haven't done extensive/serious run-time testing yet, but I should get at least a couple of hours on the higher settings, and I'm hoping a lot more on the lowest setting.

Whether or not you use 2 or 3 Crees depends on what battery you have or are planning to get. I used 8xAA's because I already had 'em and I wanted to minimize costs and size/weight. One of my design goals was to clone the Dinotte lights, which use 4xAA NiMH (and a custom boost/buck driver circuit, I think). If you already have a bigger battery (14.4 LiIon, for example) then go w/as many LEDs as you can, I'd guess. ;) Add up the forward-voltages of the LED(s) and driver circuit and see what battery voltage you need.

I haven't ridden with my light yet, actually! I hope to try it out on the commute home tonight.

My next light will probably be a single hi-bin Cree in an ultra compact housing. I originally wanted to make my light modular, with a primary housing containing one Cree+optic, the bFlex, the main DC power jack, and the control button, with a secondary housing containing only a Cree+optic optionally plugging into the primary unit via a second switched DC jack -- that way I could use either 2 LEDs for brightness or a single LED for long run times, but at the last minute decided against it due to the complexity -- and also because you can simply run the (multiple) LEDs efficiently at less current for extended runtimes.

I didn't use a reflector, I used a collimating optic similar to the Ledil (mine's an L2, slightly larger and round).

see http://yojimg.net/bike/equipment/lights/led_lights.php#parts for a rough parts/source list.

Pitto

Newly Enlightened
I have re thought my light i want to build and after seeing this, i think i will build it similar to yours.

So the battery pack using 8xAA batteries comes in at 9.6v, Right?

I have two 3aH 9.6v makita NiMH batteries at my disposal and i thought two sets [one helmet spot & 1 bar flood] might be worth doing.

G

sfCyclotourist

Newly Enlightened
Nice work! Any outdoor beamshots, or pics of it on your bike? :) Thank you, also, for the links. I had not seen the yojimg link, but it's a great summary of information and different projects.

Here's a photo of the light on my bike...the battery is strapped underneath the handlebar stem.

2224450896_c3af7fe77d_d.jpg

CGD08

Newly Enlightened
I see you used that cheap chinese bike mount that can turn 360. I have one. It broke. It's very gentle plastic, NOT ABS plastic. :shakehead
Word of advice: Do not over-tighten, do not handle roughly.

Other than that, Nice light! Great work! :thumbsup:
I'm just going to get a fenix mount and put my T20 on it.