Surefire A2 Runtime Tests - Various Batteries

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

Earlier this week, after returning to work from almost a week of illness, I was excited to get back into the swing of things. In between catching up on Aviatrix mods and Glowfob machining, I decided to design and build a precision light meter and data-logging rig to gather data on the Surefire A2 Aviator runtimes with various batteries. After about 3 hours of design, soldering, machining, fitting, and testing, this was the result:

Presenting... The squawk-o-matic Light Measurement system!

These are thumbnails - Click for full-sized images

The squawk-o-matic is designed around a precision light sensor I.C., the Burr Brown (now a division of Texas Instruments) OPT-101. The hand-soldered sensor circuitry sits inside of the rear part of the tube (the end with the cable coming out to the connector) held in place by a piece of hand-carved polyethylene foam, keeping it rigid and immobile. The other end of the tube (where the flashlight fits) is precision machined from solid aluminum, and is designed to fit the bezel of the Surefire A2 Aviator perfectly (0.002" slip-fit). There is a channel in front of the flashlight bezel where light filters can be placed, in order to cut down the amount of light reaching the sensor (making it less sensitive for incandescent output measurement) or more sensitive (absence of filter, allowing full LED light to reach the sensor for LED runtime tests). This is a specialized instrument, designed SPECIFICALLY for testing the light-output vs. time of the Surefire A2 Aviator, in all of it's various light output modes. Think of it as a "2-range" light meter, one range being adapted for the high output incandescent mode of the A2 (with light-output filter) and the other "range" being adapted for low-level LED output measurement (without the filter).

The output of the sensor goes through a cable as a voltage between 0 and 5V, and is fed into a Mastech 8226T DMM with optically-isolated RS-232 computer interface. The computer logs the data, which I then feed into a spreadsheet to convert into comma-separated text data... which is then fed into a piece of freeware charting software (RMChart - which I HIGHLY recommend...) in order to produce the final chart graphics.

The first test-data gathered by the squawk-o-matic was a series of 4 incandescent runtime tests using different brand batteries (rechargeable and primary). Each test was done with fresh-out-of-the-package (and recent manufacture date) batteries. The rechargeable Li-ion test was done using batteries fresh from the charger, with less than 1 minute delay between removing it from the charger and starting the test. All tests were done using one of my EDC Aviators - modified with an Aviatrix board containing 1 Deep-Red (660nm) and 2 White THC3 LEDs. Since the Aviatrix was in "all LEDs on" mode during the tests, similar results should be obtained using a stock Surefire A2 Aviator with the factory LED ring. NOTE THAT THE TIME AXIS IS DIFFERENT for each of these tests, to really compare battery life and incandescent output duration between these tests, READ THE TIME (X) SCALE MINUTES and don't just look at the graph image when comparing! Each of these tests will now be described:

Test 001 - AW Li-ion (750mah) protected RCR123

This is a thumbnail, click for full-size graph

Battery pair starting voltage = 8.35V
No light-output filter used

This test was done with no filter in place, allowing the full light output to reach the sensor. As a result, the incandescent beam "swamps out" the sensor, clipping the high output and not allowing the full detail of the incandescent brightness changes to be visible. You can see the protection kicking in at the end of the incandescent cycle, and after I reset the batteries (let sit for about a minute, then turned the light back on) you can see the LEDs-only light output followed by the battery protection circuit "kicking in" again at about 43.5 minutes. All-in-all, fairly poor performance when compared to the following Lithium primary (non-rechargeable) CR123 battery results! Basically, when using these cells you get less than 1/2 the incandescent output time, followed by a few dismal minutes of LED output before cell protection kicks in.

Test 002 - Panasonic Brand Primary Lithium CR123

Battery pair starting voltage = 6.52V
No light-output filter used

This test was also done with no filter in place, allowing the full light output to reach the sensor. As a result, the incandescent beam "swamps out" the sensor, clipping the high output and not allowing the full detail of the incandescent brightness changes to be visible. These batteries perform surprisingly well... and are readily available from Digi-Key Corporation (Part# P151-ND) through online purchase.

Test 003 - Surefire Brand Primary Lithium CR123

Battery pair starting voltage = 6.48V
Test done with light-output filter in place

This test was done with a filter in place, preventing full light output from reach the sensor. As a result, the incandescent beam brightness details are readily visible, and quite interesting! You can see the self-correction of the PWM modulation (not the ACTUAL modulation, as that's MUCH faster) as it slowly rises and falls in a sawtooth-like pattern. An interesting test - notice the end of the incandescent regulation, as the light output swings wildly (between full-output and dim-output incandescent modes) for several minutes before the incandescent light output finally shuts down completely.

Test 004 - Titanium Brand Primary Lithium CR123

Battery pair starting voltage = 6.59V

This test was also done with a filter in place, preventing full light output from reach the sensor. As a result, the incandescent beam brightness details are readily visible, and quite interesting! You can see the self-correction of the PWM modulation (not the ACTUAL modulation, as that's MUCH faster) as it slowly rises and falls in a sawtooth-like pattern. In this test, you can see that the Titanium brand CR123 cells do not wildly oscillate as much at the end of the incandescent runtime... they kind of "give up the ghost" faster than the Surefire brand CR123s, dropping rapidly to LED-only output. You can also see that they are not quite as bright as the Surefire's batteries during the life of the incandescent output, HOWEVER... they do last longer in full-output (non-fluctuating) incandescent mode than the Surefire cells.

Test 005 - Panasonic Brand Primary Lithium CR123 (With light output filter)

Battery pair starting voltage = 6.51V

This is a re-test of the Panasonic brand CR123's from Test 002 - using batteries purchased from the same batch. The difference is that this test was also done with a light-output filter in place (just like the Surefire and Titanium cell tests 003-004), preventing full light output from reach the sensor. As a result, the incandescent beam brightness details are readily visible, and quite interesting! You can see the self-correction of the PWM modulation (not the ACTUAL modulation, as that's MUCH faster) as it slowly rises and falls in a sawtooth-like pattern... as well as the swinging oscillation between the full-incandescent and dim-incandescent output as the battery life reaches its end. Comparing the results of this test with the results from Test 002, it becomes apparent that the "clipping point" of the sensor when run without a filter is actually at about the 5% of "full output" point... meaning that when there is no light-output filter, 5% light output looks like 100% output to the sensor due to the "swamping out" or "overdriving" of the sensor input because of it's extreme sensitivity. Basically, the light-output filter I'm using to capture the full incandescent mode details is cutting out approx. 95% of the emitted light!

Even with these "more modest" results (actually the SAME results with different vertical "magnification") obtained by re-scaling the vertical-axis light output results through the use of a filter, the Panasonic cells still look like the best of the 3 when it comes to long-duration incandescent output. However, overall incandescent light output is the lowest of the 3 brands of primary cells tested so far... making the Panasonic cells the least desireable choice if brightness is your primary concern.

I hope you've enjoyed these test results, more battery types and output modes (3 LED without incandescent, Aviatrix Single LED mode, Etc.) to follow in the future!

Best wishes,
Bawko

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
1st reaction: d00d...thats alotta resistors,, is there a place to order all those at specs without them coming in at 1000 a pop?:green:
2nsd reaction: what? that jagged curve on the surefire cell index doesn't look anything like Dougs :ohgeez:

interesting concept though, I'm surprised you managed to run runtime tests on rechargeable cells...and that smooth result to follow

good job!:grin2:
EDIT: how did you get such high numbers of battery voltage? on my meter its about ~6.25V with two surefire in series

Last edited:

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

1st reaction: d00d...thats alotta resistors,, is there a place to order all those at specs without them coming in at 1000 a pop?:green:
2nsd reaction: what? that jagged curve on the surefire cell index doesn't look anything like Dougs :ohgeez:

interesting concept though, I'm surprised you managed to run runtime tests on rechargeable cells...and that smooth result to follow

good job!:grin2:

I buy my resistors in bulk from Digi-Key and Mouser electronics - they're not too bad, about $2.00 per 100.

As for the results being different from Dougs, keep in mind that different cells will behave differently, based on a LOT of various factors... including things like temperature, brand and age of cells, peculariarities of one driver circuit board vs. another, etc.

Also keep in mind that these are relative (not absolute LUX value) LIGHT OUTPUT graphs, not LUX or battery voltage graphs - which might set them apart from some other published measurements.

However... I believe these graphs are as accurate and highly sensitive as is possible, I'm using a particularly excellent sensor and accurate, scientifically repeatable methodology to obtain the data.

Best wishes,
Bawko

P.S. If you think that's a lot of resistors, check this out: :)

THUMBNAILS - CLICK FOR FULL-SIZE IMAGES:

Last edited:

cy

Flashaholic
really surprised there's that much difference between pansonic and surefire cells....

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

really surprised there's that much difference between pansonic and surefire cells....

I am as well... I'm going to do another test with the Panasonic cells with a light filter in front of the bezel, in order to better capture the incandescent output details (since they're clipped in the current Panasonic test...)

Best wishes,
Bawko

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is going to be a great A2/battery reference, Bawko. Thanks for putting so much work into it! :thumbsup:

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

Illum_the_nation said:
EDIT: how did you get such high numbers of battery voltage? on my meter its about ~6.25V with two surefire in series

You probably have older cells. The open-circuit voltage will drop over time.

Best wishes,
Bawko

Illum

Flashaholic

I buy packs of 5 when I only use about 3 and you say they come in...100?

Greetings!
You probably have older cells. The open-circuit voltage will drop over time.

Best wishes,
Bawko

well, they've been sitting on the shelf for sometime....I dunno how long they've sat in lighthounds warehouse before I bought it

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

I buy packs of 5 when I only use about 3 and you say they come in...100?

Actually, I think Digi-Key's first real price break is in lots of 200... I typically buy 200-500 at a time of any particular value. I just normalized the price to 100 for you... as most people tend to think in multiples of 10 for price comparisons.

Best wishes,
Bawko

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope you never have an earthquake. Getting all those resistors back in place would be a real pain!:eek:

By the way - I just added some more pictures to my Aviatrix thread. The last set really shows what an improvement the Aviatrix is to the A2.

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

On my way out of town this evening, I dropped by the office to take care of a few final details. During the time I was there, I did a re-test of the Panasonic cells with the light output filter in place, to capture the incandescent output details. I'll convert it to a chart and post it in the next day or so...

Best wishes,
Bawko

DM51

Flashaholic
Very interesting stuff you've done there, ol' Bird - many thanks. The battery comparison test results will be an extremely useful resource (are there any other batteries you are going to try?) The graphs showing the effects of the A2's regulation are fascinating.

Esthan

Enlightened
Thank You for the good work :D

P.S. How did You fit those AW li-ons in ? :]

Last edited:

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

Thank You for the good work :D

P.S. How did You fit those AW li-ons in ? :]

You're very welcome!

As for the AW Li-ion batteries, I got them to fit by purchasing 7 of them. One of them fit perfectly. Two of them would fit if I peeled the outer silver label off, leaving the black plastic jacketing material on. The other 4 needed to have the black plastic jacketing stripped off the batteries, then two thin layers of scotch tape re-wrapped over the battery to prevent shorting.

The AW Li-ion 750 mAH batteries WILL fit in an A2, but they vary a bit in diameter... so if you want to find a few that will work "as-is", plan on buying a bunch or doing a few modifications.

Best wishes,
Bawko

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

Greetings!

On my way out of town this evening, I dropped by the office to take care of a few final details. During the time I was there, I did a re-test of the Panasonic cells with the light output filter in place, to capture the incandescent output details. I'll convert it to a chart and post it in the next day or so...

Best wishes,
Bawko

The new Panasonic test results have been posted (Test 005).

Best wishes,
Bawko

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
First off, thanks for the tip about RMChart. Excel works okay, but it's a pain to work with on a sporatic basis.

Kudos as well as for keeping everything "relative". We tend to get focused on details and differences at times when we have absolute values, especially when one person's results vary from another. Although it's probably a bit more work for you, your approach keeps things simple and focused on the intent of the graphs. :thumbsup:

Patiently looking forward to the Aviatrix graphs...

Valolammas

Enlightened
Thanks a lot! I've always wondered how big differences there are between various brands of batteries and apparently they are small. A minute or two of difference in runtime doesn't matter that much, especially if you use the light sporadically (a minute here, a second there and who can keep track of the total?), and I don't think I'd notice a 10% difference in output either.

You know, once upon a time I bought an A2 just because people were raving about it here, but it turned out I wasn't much impressed by it. I contemplated selling it, but never got around to it. But since you started making all these A2 related posts and threads, I dug it out of my box of lights again and now I've found a new appreciation for it. So a big thanks for that, too!

And I want one of those Aviatrix rings! Are you taking international orders yet?