What is this ??????

killforfood

Newly Enlightened
I've had this lantern for 20 years plus and would like to know some history like what it was primarily used for and what it might be worth?
AC022.jpg

AC023.jpg

AC024.jpg

This lantern has all the original parts including switch, cotton wrapped wires and focus adjusting knob in back.
I viewed all 7,000+ lanterns on EBAY and the closest example that I could find was a 1920 Grether fire search lantern that looked like it may have even been made by the same company.

"VINTAGE 1920 GRETHER FIRE EQUIPMENT SEARCH FLASH LIGHT / LANTERN. IT HAS NO BATTERY.IT WAS MADE BY THE GRETHER FIRE EQUIPMENT CO. DAYTON OHIO. IT IS IN GOOD SHAPE AND STANDS 9 1/2'' TALL AND 7 1/8'' WIDE. A COPY OF AN ADD I FOUND ON THIS PIECE SAID SPECIFY GRETHER HAND ELECTRIC SEARCHLIGHTS ON ALL NEW FIRE, POLICE, SALVAGE, AMBULANCEAND PUBLIC UTILITIES MOTOR APPARATUS. GREAT PIECE OF HISTORY. WOULD MAKE A GREAT ADDITION TO YOUR FIE EQUIPMENT COLLECTION. S/H $10.00 INSURANCE IS OPTIONAL "

http://cgi.ebay.com/1920-GRETHER-FI...ryZ39636QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I,m thinking that Harris probably made the the Grether lantern and added the brass tag with Grethers name on it?
Any Ideas?

Thanks, Joel.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just guessing here - probably used on the railroads by signal men. On something like that if you want to sell it and get what it's worth then eBay is the place to put it up. Since you don't really have anything into it at this point I'd start with a low or no reserve auction. It's going to be worth what someone will pay for it there - in fact eBay IS used by many to determine what things are worth. The more rare it is the more likely it will get a nice price.

Cydonia

Enlightened
I personally think it would be cooler to keep the lantern than to sell it.

Yes I agree. Especially since he has had it 20 years already.
I would use the large battery compartment to store some of today's small lights in. Like a flashlight cookie jar :D

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmmmm
dayton ohio.
never heard of that co and i have lived here since the 60's
looks like it would survive nuclear war.

orionlion82

Enlightened
it was likely made in the 1890's or turn of the century as it looks to me.

probably a true antiuque, and the fact there is so little information about it speaks to how rare it is.

this is no doubt a valuable old object.

im working on a patent search, because even i am curious.

orionlion82

Enlightened
ive got something here.

a patent by none other than Mag insturment refrences a patent by harris from 1927.

the harris patent is # 1644126 allso seen as 01644126

the patent appears to be drawings, but i cant see it because my browser dosnt do quicktime

Last edited:

orionlion82

Enlightened
This patent appears to be very important, because alot of other flashlight patents use it as a reference. this is as far as i can get with it i think.

as to weather it is the Model 6 or not, i have no idea.

allso found 1109415.

Last edited:

killforfood

Newly Enlightened
Orionlion,
Well it's hard to say who ripped off who but after digging a little deeper down the patent search that you started, I tend to believe that Grether is the original patent holder. While I have not yet found the original patent for the #6 model I did find that Grethers first name was william and he was a resident of Dayton Ohio who actively designed and marketed search and rescue lanterns for military and rescue services.
Heres an add for the Grether lantern that is nearly identical except for mine has the name Harris Bros. on top.
Grether51920ACa.jpg

Also here is the patent for a military swivel top lantern that Grether designed.

http://vintage-reprints.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=14&products_id=22503

This Grether fire lantern recently sold on EBAY for $123.
It's identical to mine in every respect except mine has the Harris Bros. label on top.
2902_12.jpg

281e_12.jpg

I have yet to find any information on the Harris Bros. and I'm curious as to how they marketed an identical lantern in the same town and time as grether.

Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks, Joel.

killforfood

Newly Enlightened
ive got something here.

a patent by none other than Mag insturment refrences a patent by harris from 1927.

the harris patent is # 1644126 allso seen as 01644126

the patent appears to be drawings, but i cant see it because my browser dosnt do quicktime

Orionlion,
Could you post a link to the Harris patents.
Thanks, Joel.

orionlion82

Enlightened
thing is...the grether patent is 1913 and assuming that it is a true patent and not a fake patent, it makes you wonder about the 1927 harris patent. (remember, i cant view it so i havnt seen it)

perhaps harris bought the patent or rights to build from grether?

or perhaps grether made a custom run as an OEM for another company?

Last edited:

killforfood

Newly Enlightened
Orionlion,
I was able to view the patent using Quicktime.
Looks like the beginnings of the every day flashlight of today.
Amazing how a good design lasts forever.
Anyway I don't think this is the right Harris as he resided in Florida.
Joel.

Flashlightpatent.jpg

donn_

Flashaholic
I just received this light today, and had a quick look at it. An interesting feature is the inscription "safetee" on the lens. The Safetee Glass Company, of Philadelphia, was very well known at the time (pre-1920) for toughened glass which was used in gas-masks, windshields, goggles and lenses. The thing is built like a tank, and is a fitting host for a tough glass lens.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mod it with 15 Seouls or Cree's!!!:poke:
Looks like a lot of room for batteries...

OR better yet HID!!!:thinking: