~!~Who needs to wait for the new Surefire KX1 when you have this... [many pics]

cryhavok

Enlightened
Here is a new twist on the old KL1R mod done long ago by many members. While I appreciate the nice beam that a McR20 and SSC P4 LED, I loved the optic found in the KL1. I did this mod about 2 months ago to retain the optic yet still have a blazingly bright flashlight. The hardest part by far is unscrewing the KL1 assembly, but once apart, the mod is quite easy. You need use a small spacer (like the ones at the shoppe) to position the LED in the correct focal point. The results are fantastic!

IMG_0012-4.jpg

IMG_0013-4.jpg

IMG_0014-3.jpg

As you can see, it looks completely stock (aka very cool with the huge dome of the optic) but I added a bit of glowpoxy while the head was open :naughty:

Light's on
IMG_0015-2.jpg

Light's off
IMG_0016-4.jpg

First I painted the plastic spacer ring that sits between the base of the optic and the window. The glow was pretty satisfying, but I then tried to paint the metal "bowl" that surrounds the LED. This not only gives a brighter glow, but also allows the optic to "throw" some of that glow. The results are quite stunning.

Here you can see the glow compared to a 3x23mm Green Tritium Tube:
IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0023-1.jpg

I'm holding the head about 4 inches above the microfiber towel (which is why the glow looks so uneven...but rest assured it is a smooth glow beam)
IMG_0022-1.jpg

Here is a similar shot as a previous one except there is also a 1.5x5mm green tritium found in my McGizmo Ti S27-PD
IMG_0024-1.jpg

And now for some ceiling beamshots :grin2:

The lights are apprixomately 9 feet away from the ceiling.

Here is the new improved KL1:
IMG_0025.jpg

Here is a shot compared to my S27-PD. Note: The S27 has had the current bumped to ~833mA and puts out ~7500 lux@ 1 meter (Stock light puts about 5000 lux@ 1 meter at 525mA)

IMG_0027.jpg

And another with -2 eV
IMG_0028.jpg

Some general notes:
The square beam of the stock KL1 is GONE and replaced with a wonderful and smooth circle beam. There is one "Saturn" ring that rides on the very outskirt of the beam. With my eyes adapted to the dark, a quick 1 sec. blast of the light in my picket will charge up the glowpaint and give me enough light to easily navigate in the dark. As it stands now, the light is run DD off 1xrcr123, but the light is VERY good at it's heatsinking abilities, so I have no worries at the LED failing. The KL1 head now puts out 5100 lux @ 1 meter!!!

Final notes:
This project has turned out wonderfully...I find myself grabbing this E1L lately more than any other light. I love the slim OD form factor and green glow.

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice mod! I give it two thumbs up! :twothumbs

Did you do anything to the optic? Strange that the diamond beam is gone but looks much better. The bright after glow through the optic is a definate winner! :cool:

Ken

cryhavok

Enlightened

The optic is completely stock. I did this mod before with another KL1 without using a spacer. That beam was interesting...a circle of light with a brighter square in the center. It was about 1000 lux@ 1 meter less, though. So it's a win win situation using the spacer :thumbsup:

Mirage_Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very cool mod Shawn. :thumbsup:

The one thing I can't stand about the stock KL1 is the square beam it throws. I'm glad to see it's gone with this mod. The next time I pick up a KL1 I might give this a try.

Oh BTW, a little tip to opening up those heads... try heating it (just around the sides obviously) with a propane torch very gently, then a strap wrench will pop it right open. I usually chuck them up in the lathe and run it at the lowest RPM while heating it but I'm sure you could figure out some way to heat it evenly without one.

Last edited:

cryhavok

Enlightened
Thanks Brian. The beam really is quite wonderful. I finally got my camera back today after lending it to my sister which is why I could put up the pictures...tomorrow I'll open another thread with the secret weapon you made me :D

And some very good tips you have. I unfortunately don't own any strap wrenches (went to Home Depot and couldn't find any other than large ones used for plumbing) I guess I need to make a trip to Lowes...I was stuck using 2 regular wrenches and some rags to protect the finish (which I wasn't completely successful with :( ) but did use a hairdryer to help things along.

bombelman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great mod !

I did a similar mod a while ago too.
The color rendering is whiter compared to the old Lux with less color shifts
and the center spot is not square anymore.

Throw is also massive, since the optic has almost no spill (where a reflector has).

BTW, did you compare runtime ?

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love the glowing optic effect, I would have liked to see the inside of the light, and a pic of the optic, too.

I have an L1, and as soon as I can open it, it's getting the glow treatment, too.

Check my sigline for a similar glow mod: The light's not as bright, but it still glows!

cryhavok

Enlightened
Thanks bombelman. I haven't had a chance to compare runtime. It won't be anywhere near the original KL1 (15 hours?), but that is a sacrifice to have a light that puts out about 4 times the output.

Here is a shot of the light engine component of another KL1 that has had similar glowpoxy treatment.

IMG_0007-5.jpg

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whats the amp draw at the emitter?
You sure have been busy lately :twothumbs
I can't wait for the new KX1 to come out so I can buy the KL1 head cheap and mod it too.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very cool! I think I missed something or am not awake yet though - did you replace the LE with direct drive and an SSC P4? If so is it the new LED that you would say got rid of the square beam or adding a spacer?

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
cryhavoc -

Do you do mods for other people? I have a KL3 on a 6P that a kind hearted member gave me. For certain tasks this light is outstanding. I use it much more than I thought I would. I think it would be a good candidate for your mod.

Either way, thanks for posting this. Looks great. Just got done reading your Asperical thread. Also very cool.