ANOTHER bike light!

aljsk8

Enlightened
heres my attempt at the box light originally designed by nightrider

its got 2 cree in at the mo but the 3rd slot will get filled when i get a better battery

also the mount is being fixed on today

here it is....

032117.jpg

i made it in 2 parts

the front case is made from 3 cut 1inch square aluminum tubes jb welded together then covered in carbon fiber sheet (cut by supplier) and lexan front - all this is jb welded / epoxied together

then the gizmo part is also square tube with circuit, switch, wiring etc all stuffed in

this slides into the other part and 2 long screws hold it all in (although its a tight fit anyway

heres some more pics

133806.jpg

031908.jpg

133856.jpg

032214.jpg

032305.jpg

you might be able to see the balloon - thats got the driver inside it to keep it waterproof

the rest of the case is rainproof but some water will inevitably get inside

let me know what you think

Last edited:

RustyKnee

Enlightened
it gets hot but im not going to get concerned - crees are cheep let them fry!

lol.

they do lose a fair chunk of light output when they get hot though.

Is it hot when in air flow, or just when its staionary? not criticising...just curious.

The carbon makes it look cool as (not the temerature variety hehe).

Stu

aljsk8

Enlightened
only just finished building it so ill try and test it out later tonight but up to now just hot when stationary

i got all the aluminum and carbon parts cut when i ordered them so it would all fit together nicely - which has paid off. the only bit thats disappointing is some of the gluing but the camera shows it up more than looking at it in real life

cant wait to try it out!!

Alex

aljsk8

Enlightened
cheers for the comments

ill charge my camera up tonight and take some beamshots

although you all know what 300 - 400 lumens looks like!

cant wait to get another cree in there

alex

Christexan

Enlightened
Carbon, in various forms (including solid diamond) can be an incredibly good heatsink material, however the typical resins used to make standard carbon fiber sheets are not good for the purpose, so unless it's a specific "thermal" carbon material (carbon foam used in racing radiators for instance), it's probably lousy for heatsinking. Good for looks though! If you took raw carbon fiber cloth, mixed it with Arctic Alumina or Arctic Silver, vacuum bagged it down to a tiny concentration of resin, you might make something pretty nice for a heatsink... might not though, haven't tried it, experiment at own risk.

aljsk8

Enlightened
tried the light last night - just gets barely warm - i also checked to see if thats because the carbon is holding the heat in but the metal part is only warm too

was awesome riding through the trees with it on!

ill try to get some more shots later (beamshots etc)

Swallow

Newly Enlightened
:twothumbsDigging the retro purple anodised nuts. Carbon is pretty darn sexy too!!:twothumbs

sortafast

Enlightened
those purple nylock nuts are the cats pajamas. Now you just need the matching purple hubs and headset :D

cowandsqi2.jpg

aljsk8

Enlightened
ok

heres the light mounted on my bike

funny how my camera shows up the glue and construction flaws a lot more than my eyes do

195224.jpg

but as for beamshots it picks them up badly - the light looks twice as bright as it does in these shots

225534.jpg

heres what it looks like if im coming towards you - except its blindingly brighter

224322.jpg

thanks for looking

Alex

barkingmad

Enlightened
The PT EOS 'headlamp' is also available with a bike mount - they are easy to Mod with a Seoul star - two / three of those would give a lot of light and you can either keep with the stock optic or swap for different reflectors for more throw / flood.