NEW Bike light.....LED now has the same lumens as HID >>>>

JDELUNA

Newly Enlightened
I believe I read somewhere that a MR11 HID light puts out about 500 lumens of light. NiteRider looks to becoming out with an improve version of their current MiNewt LED bicycle lights and calling it the TriNewt. If any one has seen how small the current regular MiNewt is, will probably agree that for its size it puts out a good amoutn of light. Now the new and improved TriNewt is supposedly will be putting out about 500 lumens. Way to go NiteRider !!! Enjoy and God Bless :)

http://www.beyondbikes.com/BB/ItemDesc.asp?IC=AC-LIG-TRINEWT

ginaz

Enlightened
that looks great. SSC's driven pretty hard. post beamshots when you get one!

cary

Newly Enlightened
Without commenting on the light, avoid Beyondbikes at all costs. They have a horrible reputation. They will take orders, not ship, overcharge, etc..

RustyKnee

Enlightened
LED lights have been rivaling HIDs for months now the cree and Seoul leds are being used more. The Dinotte 500l is about the same as HID brightness and lupine are even saying LED are the future, their new Wilma lights are brighter than 10W HID.

I have moded my cateye triple and double shots with seouls, the tripple appears to the eye to be as bright or brighter and actually has better flood intensity (soething LEDs seemed to struggle in my experience up till then).

Not onlt that but 4 (or more) cree seouls driven to the same lumen output are moreefficient than HID (when ballast losses are inluded) and are dimmable unlike HID.

Dinotte is 500 dollars, so a bit more...but I have only heard good things about the dinotte.

Its good that Nitrider have a good light too now. The more the merrier.

Stu

Last edited:

JDELUNA

Newly Enlightened
Yeah looking at the pictures it looks to probably have 3 - 3watt Cree emitters in them. I am hoping that they offer a dual head version. My old Niterider Classic which is a dual head halogen, that I bought new back in 1992 is still going strong, the original Ni-cad battery just died late last year. God Bless :)

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Nice light, although given that the main disadvantage of HID is high cost, and this light costs $399, it's not taking advantage of the "lower cost" factor of LEDs. However, I'm sure we'll be seeing similar lights for under $100. I'm thinking of making something like this myself to replace my current bike light (28 50K mcd Jeleds @ 24 mA, ~150 lumens), perhaps using 4 Q2 or Q4 bin Crees driven at maybe 700 mA, but powered by standard AA NiMH cells instead of a proprietary Li-Ion battery, and with several brightness settings.

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is bulb lumens using the manufacture rating, so likely out the front you only get about 450 lumens, but it's cool non the less. Good find. :thumbsup:

decerebrated

Newly Enlightened
Cutter now has Q5 leds for sale. min lumens 107, max 114 @ 350mA.
reading from the scale for current / output it looks like they should output arround 240lumens at 1000mA.
so 3 Cree's = 720 lumens which = :eek:)
I've ordered mine.

Cheers

Geoff

knot

Banned
Cutter now has Q5 leds for sale. min lumens 107, max 114 @ 350mA.
reading from the scale for current / output it looks like they should output arround 240lumens at 1000mA.
so 3 Cree's = 720 lumens which = :eek:)
I've ordered mine.

Cheers

Geoff

Why don't I see any difference in brightness when I shine all thee of my lights together? Do they all have to be equal in intensity? My 2x123 overpowers my other lights that I can't even see them.

RustyKnee

Enlightened
Looking at the solarc datasheet 3 seoul/crees do compete. My own experience backs this up as I said before. My HID has quite a few hours on it though (200 or so at a guess). I reckon a new bulb wouln't be much brighter if at all.

I am only going off my eyeballs though in back to back tests.

Stu

JDELUNA

Newly Enlightened
A friend of mine has this light, and no way it is as powerful as a 10w HID.

What your friend has is the regular MiNewt which actually came out late last year and is probably what you can call their 1st generation. It looks to be the same shape, etc. but if you look closely at the MiNewt that your friend has it only has a SINGLE LED, the new TriNewt will have 3 LEDs and they will probably be the more improved version. Hope this helps. God Bless :)

mudmojo

Newly Enlightened
I've heard the same thing... avoid doing business with Beyondbikes. Hate to see people geting ripped off.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well that's an interesting reflector. Maybe it works, but I wouldn't want the be the first to try. It looks like it will produce a very funky beam.

The original newt had a very deep reflector and produced a narrow spill unsuitable for cycling. Ok for a helmet mount, but not for the bars. The price was decent though. This one is three times as much for $20 more parts :thinking:

blahblahblah

Enlightened
The Lupine Wilma with 4 emitters has a claimed 830 Lumens, just under the 900 Lumens claimed for the Edison 5 HID also from Lupine, but Lupine has a new Flagship LED head about to be announced with 7 emitters. Check here.
http://www.lupine-lights.com/misc/New.jpg
And here.
http://www.lupine-lights.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1291&sid=5045a60395b769456db9095983cf27c5

Mix above w/ : http://gretnabikes.com/lupine_headband_accesories.asp

And you have one BRIGHT forehead.