A fast flashlight holder for recumbent bikes

Martin

Enlightened
While waiting for my new dynamo light system to receive some design resources, I tide myself over with this flashlight holder.
It holds a variety of 18650 / 2x CR123A lights on a recumbent bike, attaching to the bolts of the front water bottle. It also accommodates the mandatory reflector.
The holder uses 2 standard lamp brackets for brake bolt mount, a large washer and an adjustable Sigma clamp. The parts are very common in Germany.
Some soldering is required to attach the washer to one of the brackets (which mustn't be the stainless steel version as this cannot be soldered).

RecumbentLampHolder2.jpg

Yes, I know it's not a beauty.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Say goodbye to your flashlight. I'm not sure about that particular clamp but ones that look just like it are infamous for failing.

Martin

Enlightened
maybe a simple rubber band around the holder as a backup?
Well, I'm always looking for reasons to buy new lights..:grin2:
Honestly, the Sigma holders are safe. It's the cheap clamps from DX that lose flashlights. The main cause of flashlight loss should be theft, as I occasionally forget to remove it when parking the bike.

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would have thought having the light above the crank rather than below
would protect it from mud, rocks, etc, and light things up better.

Martin

Enlightened
I would have thought having the light above the crank rather than below
would protect it from mud, rocks, etc, and light things up better.
To be honest, I'm not perfectly happy with this position either but I couldn't find a better one.
First of all, here's a wider view of the creature:
RecumbentLampHolderFront.jpg

Above the BB, there's the waterbottle and the shifter. Anything above the waterbottle obstructs the view. If on top of the handlebar, it obstructs the view and my knees are in the way. Below the handlebar or on the helmet, again knees in the way. Attaching one light to each fork leg I haven't tried; I assume it will be too exposed and just too low to reliably illuminate a road that is not perfectly flat.
So this is how I arrived at the current solution.

greenLED

Flashaholic
You guys with recumbents really have it hard when it comes to attaching lights to the frame. What blinker do you have in the back, Martin?

Andy, isn't it you who has a rec with a windshield? Did you ever find a way of attaching a light to your bike?

Martin

Enlightened
You guys with recumbents really have it hard when it comes to attaching lights to the frame.
Luckily just one of my bikes is a recumbent..

What blinker do you have in the back, Martin?
Just a steady-on red LED taillight, off the shelf, mounted to the rear of the seat (Blinker not OK on German roads). Sorry, no photo in the drawer.

Andy, isn't it you who has a rec with a windshield? Did you ever find a way of attaching a light to your bike?
Last photo on this German manufacturer's page shows one way to mount the light together with the windshield.

grnamin

Enlightened
I knew you were talking about a 'bent from the start, but I couldn't help but visualize that your flashlight was attached to the bottom bracket of a regular bike. :D I thought to myself that the flashlight's lens would surely get dinged by an errant pebble or stone until you posted the full view of your bike. LOL. Nice setup.