Rayovac 1Watt 1AA Sportsman Xtreme Headlight

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://www.rayovac.com/flashlight/se1whlt-b.shtml#.shtml

$18.83 plus tax from Walmart.

Pretty small and light. Takes 1AA (included).

Comes with 4 LED bulbs total. 1 white 1watt , 1 blue 5mm and 2 red 5mm.

The 1watt LED comes with two light modes, spot and flood with the included slide-in/slide-out diffuser. The diffuser is kinda in the way if unused so could be broken off quite easily if hit the wrong way. The spot is almost all throw. The throw is a very small diameter circle of light. The flood projects a perfect artifact-free wide-angle of light all around the user's field of view. The light is very white.

The single blue 5mm LED is surprisingly bright. Manufacturer claims it is for "tracking". I sincerely have no clue what that means.

The 2 red 5mm LED does what it is supposed to (prevent loss of night vision).

Manufacturer claims 2 hour runtime on a single AA (author of this review has not tested that claim). Manufacturer did not say if 2 hours means running the 1 watt or running the 5mm LED as well.

Last edited:

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Rayovac 1AA 1 Watt Sportsman Xtreme Headlight

looks interesting; it's about time somebody used the diffuser idea for headlamps besides Petzl. Flood is infinitely preferable for a headlamp vs throw IMHO.

Hm. Blue, you say. Novelty, I guess. I don't hunt, so I probably won't be tracking wounded game. But the reds sound good.

The link didn't have good pics; and, can you tell us the cost?

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

Interesting!

I use a headlamp to read in bed. The best one I have as far as beam is a 6 LED Energizer. It has a NASTY switch however.

That this uses 1AA and has that diffuser built in makes me about ready to pull the trigger!

How easy is the switch to operate?

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast

Interesting!

I use a headlamp to read in bed. The best one I have as far as beam is a 6 LED Energizer. It has a NASTY switch however.

That this uses 1AA and has that diffuser built in makes me about ready to pull the trigger!

How easy is the switch to operate?

The switch is a single button, press once you get red light, press second time, you get blue, press third time you get white LED.

There is no low light white mode so if you need white light to read, 1AA battery is supposed to last 2 hours only.

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm very excited about this light, I'm gonna ask for it later this month for my b-day. I need something to use camping while my 24/7 is being held hostage by Inova's repair team. :(

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two hours is WAY more than I read in one night. And I'd use regular NimH until they all died.

But is the switch pretty easy to operate? And keep in mind I have BIG hands/fingers!

The switch is very easy to operate. It is so easy, mine turned itself on while in my fanny pack.

BlackDecker

Enlightened
Went by the Wal-Mart in Yukon, OK - it was $18.83. The packaging is pretty small, you may have to look a bit to find it in the flashlight section. Decided to pick one up.

IMG_0440Small.jpg

The Luxeon puts out a nice beam, and the diffuser does a good job of turning it into a flood. The headband is a bit skimpy and thin, but with only 1AA, it's not very heavy at all. Not a bad headlamp for $20. I put in an old 1800mah Duracell NiMh, seems to work great.

IMG_0439Small.jpg

lumenal

Enlightened
Hey nice pictures BlackDecker.

I just picked up this HL today at Wal*Mart, and so far really like it.

You say the headband is a bit skimpy and thin - thats what I like about it. There isn't alot of weight, so who needs a big, fat headband? :grin2:

BlackDecker

Enlightened
Hey nice pictures BlackDecker.

I just picked up this HL today at Wal*Mart, and so far really like it.

You say the headband is a bit skimpy and thin - thats what I like about it. There isn't alot of weight, so who needs a big, fat headband? :grin2:

I wore the headlamp around last night for about an hour, it was very light and comfortable on my head - I have to agree with you that the thinner and lighter headband is not a negative at all.

The regulation circuit seems to do it's job as I've ran it over an hour on a Sanyo Eneloop with no noticeable dimming at all. It does get slightly warm after about 5 mins of use, but doesn't seem to get any warmer after that.

Should be a perfect backpacking headlamp.

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got mine last night, only fired it up for a min to play with it indoors. I'll have to take it out camping to get a real sense of how much I'm gonna like it. But so far, the diffuser is great, even when used on the colored LEDs.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think they really missed the boat by putting in a blue LED instead of a white 5mm LED for low-light applications. If it had a white 5mm I'd buy one, or if it could be easily replaced. Reports so far are there's almost no way to take this thing apart. I may get one just to give it a shot.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I think they really missed the boat by putting in a blue LED instead of a white 5mm LED for low-light applications. If it had a white 5mm I'd buy one, or if it could be easily replaced. Reports so far are there's almost no way to take this thing apart. I may get one just to give it a shot.

The Walmart in Livingston, TX finally has it all! And I grabbed one of these on our weekly grocery/stuff run.

I'd HAVE to agree with Quickbeam about using a 5MM WHITE instead of blue.

It isn't dark yet, and won't be for 7+ hours. But I already firmly believe this will be the best read-in-bed light I have gotten so far!

BlackDecker

Enlightened
nThe regulation circuit definitely stops at 1.10v. I had a Sanyo Eneloop in the unit for this test.

The light doesn't dim at all when the battery reaches that voltage, it just blinks out. The red and blue LED's will still light up at 1.10v, giving you some light to find another AA cell. I agree with Doug, this headlamp would be awesome with a white 5mm LED instead of the worthless blue one. Looks like Rayovac is trying to entice hunters to buy it, as the blue LED is supposed to make it easier to track blood trails.

The 1watt light in the Rayovac easily outdoes my Tikka XP on high. The Tikka XP is the only other light I have that has a diffuser. Considering the Rayovac cost less than half what the Tikka XP cost, the Rayovac is a clear winner.

Last edited:

lumenal

Enlightened
I used this HL a couple times around the house last night, and like it.

I also agree that the blue LED would be better replaced with a white 5mm one, for a low-level task/reading light. I can't think of when I would use it, except for novelty. I don't hunt, so I don't need to track wounded game.

The diffuser works great - a welcome addition which most HL don't have.

BlackDecker - good work checking voltage when the light drops out of regulation. I plan on running NiMH in this as soon as the included ROV AA cell is used up, so that is helpful info.

L.E.D.

Enlightened
I just now picked this light up from Wal Mart. GREAT value, sweet output and runtime especially considering only 1AA. I wonder if the output curve is perfect, flat regulated circuit.. The spot to flood works great on all 4 LED's, it has both a nice tight hotspot with minimal sidespill, then a smooth wide flood. What would make this light AWESOME, regarding the colored LEDs, would be to make one of the red 5mms into a white 5mm, giving a choice of red, white, and blue :) . Just add one more node on the little integrated circuit for a 3rd color option before the Luxeon kicks in. By the way, does anyone know if the main light is in fact a Luxeon??

Last edited:

BlackDecker

Enlightened
Without cracking the case open, it would be hard to tell what kind of LED is behind that lens. The packaging just says '1 watt - 45 lumens'.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
All I know is that with the diffuser the white Luxeon (or whatever it is) is a PERFECT reading in bed light!

I might get another one to keep in my truck. But I'll find some sort of padded case for it so it doesn't meet the fate of my SL Clipmate!